2 members have voted

1. 1. The Candidates

• Peppermint Shrimp
    • Sexy Shrimps
    • Emerald Crab
    • Snails
    • Bristle Worms
    • Clove Polyps

I came home today and found tiny clumps of white "eggs" all over my blue cloves. I'm pretty sure they're eggs, what I'm not sure is whose eggs they belong to.

CIMG6599.jpg

CIMG6600.jpg

What's odd is that they're only on the blue cloves in two separate areas: most of them on the rockwork and some are on the sand. What should I do with them? The cloves are PO'd and it doesn't look like anyone's interested in eating them. :unsure:

I've similar thing happen every so often with mine. I just blow it off. Look closely, don't they look like dead cloves?

No, they look like eggs to me. Here's a closeup:

CIMG6599-2.jpg

Like I said, they're in two different areas and only on cloves. And if those are eggs, that's a crapload of eggs and I think I would've noticed somebody carrying them.

Crustaceans carry eggs on their carapace, and snails only lay on hard surfaces. I agree with psam, looks like your cloves are releasing gametes.

bristle worm eggs...

Huh. I didn't even consider that but that's highly plausible. I see a lot of them lurking around under the cloves.

pretty sure they're from the coral itself

2415033553_e6a0f4d92f_o.jpg

:o

omgomgomg

Cloves lay eggs? And if so, what do I do with it?

sorry... those might be my eggs :blush:

Ew. Get your eggs out of my tank. :angry:

check my post above, I edited it w/ link re: Sarcothelia edmondsoni is a brooder. I just blow them off with a baster. here is the link aagain

Dude, don't blow the eggs it will spread all over. Better suction it with a mini syphon.

Dude, don't blow the eggs it will spread all over. Better suction it with a mini syphon.

Why remove something that may propagate elsewhere...? I'd prefer that they spread in the tank.

Why remove something that may propagate elsewhere...? I'd prefer that they spread in the tank.

Oh, I prefer it to spread in a propagating tank. Then he can sell it to us!

Oh, I prefer it to spread in a propagating tank. Then he can sell it to us!

At the rate stuff is growing in my tank I probably should start a prop tank. :lol:

It's official, the blue cloves are spawning. Some of the cloves in other areas are now just starting to release some eggs. I'm still surprise that the inverts and fish aren't feasting on them.

that's pretty awesome that cloves have little eggs like that

They're actually pretty big for something that came out of a really tiny polyp. Corals never cease to weird me out. :huh:

Archived