Cultivated Reef

Feeding a Lawnmower Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)

makonut

Anyone have a Lawnmower Blenny that has been in their tank for more then 3 months?

I am curious what they are eating and any success getting them to eat fish food versus grazing?

My blenny in the last week started gobbling up the frozen Formula One pellets and is quick enough to snatch some from the clownfish it shares the tank with. It also does a great job gobbling up the algae that grows in the tank, but this was limited, so the appetite for the fish food is good. But, I would like to see what else people are getting them to eat.

Thanks,

Anyone have a Lawnmower Blenny that has been in their tank for more then 3 months?

I am curious what they are eating and any success getting them to eat fish food versus grazing?

My blenny in the last week started gobbling up the frozen Formula One pellets and is quick enough to snatch some from the clownfish it shares the tank with. It also does a great job gobbling up the algae that grows in the tank, but this was limited, so the appetite for the fish food is good. But, I would like to see what else people are getting them to eat.

Thanks,

They go through any kind of algae quickly in the tank. I feed mine nori seaweed. They are around $2 at raleys supermarket. They love it. Sushi wrapper are cool.

i was given a small bottle of mini krill(freeze dried) and he loves it! the second it hits the water he grabs every peice he can., also likes flakes, and dried seaweed....hes a pig!

Thanks for the feedback!

I find it interesting that a some people do not recommend this type of blenny saying that it will starve without enough algae growth. My experience is that it is a time factor; if there is enough algae in the tank to keep the blenny alive for a couple of weeks, it then appears to be acclimated to were it starts to take other food. My blenny did this and now it is a Formula One hog, while still keeping the algae in check.

I've seen 3 kept succesfully long term in my small circle of aquarium friends. They all eat anything and everything, but especially love nori.

Archived