166 replies to this topic

yardboy

yardboy

Curious Reefer

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2004
  • Panama City Beach, FL

I've totally filled up all my frag tanks, but find a need for "just one more" temporarily to hold some stuff from a 70 gallon tank takedown I've done. Not wanting to commit any real money to the project, until the frags are ready to go, I decided to try and "make do" with what I could scrounge.
So what does a frag system consist of?
Tank - I have access to some 55 gallon plastic drums. I've used them for fresh water and salt water reservoirs on my water treatment plant, as sumps for liverock and refugium systems, and after seeing dtfleming's tub, realized I could make a shallow "tub" out of a barrel.
Stand - I am such a terrible scavenger, I really embarass my wife. If I see a 2X4 on the side of the road, I stop and get it. Neighbors moving and don't want to carry a bunch of scrap lumber, I'll dumpster dive for it! So all the wood for the stand was free, but of course you end up making do with what you have, so here, is the first couple of steps in the project.
Posted Image
One of the bungs had a 3/4" threaded section available, so I ran a male adaptor through it and added a female threaded ell to the inside, then a 3/4" to 2" adaptor with a short piece of 2" pipe notched as an overflow. Where did I get the 2" pipe"? Well, I ordered some T5 bulbs from DIYreef.com and they shipped the bulbs in the PVC pipe!
Outside the tank I pulled some stuff from my PVC parts bucket, a 3/4" to 1" adaptor to 1" tee with pipe and 45d ells to run it into a plastic sump under the stand.
Posted Image
Light.
Redoing a road in town, they closed a used car lot. For the longest time I'd noticed some metal halde fixtures dangling from poles in the car lot, and when they ended up in a dumpster I dove in. I had to go it alone as Genie was totally aghast that I'd do such a thing.
More of the 2" pipe from the T5 purchase and a $2.50 2" electrical conduit sweep ell from Lowe's (amazing how cheap that was and some 2X4's made me pendant light stand.
A magnetic ballast mounted in a metal saltine cracker can and a cheap 250W chinese 20K bulb complete the ensemble.

Posted ImageThe light seems to be satisfactory.
Posted Image

Here's the setup in the Backyard reef lab

Posted Image

Edited by yardboy, 15 March 2010 - 06:57 AM.

scalowag

scalowag

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • Joined 03 Apr 2008
  • Fort Lauderdale
Bad a$$!

Nice work man! What's the estimated total cost?

Edited by scalowag, 05 October 2008 - 02:17 PM.

swtshpmillionair

swtshpmillionair

SSM 4 LIFE!

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 06 Oct 2004
Haha! Super Ghetto?!?

Lookin good to me!
Posted Image

yardboy

yardboy

Curious Reefer

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2004
  • Panama City Beach, FL
Let's see:
plumbing fittings - generously, $10.00 (not including the black return nozzle I got from a lfs junk table for $1.00)
Chinese bulb - cost plus shipping - $13.00 (yep, I wouldn't have been shocked it it hadn't worked, but it does!)
ballast - given to me, but had to buy a capacitor - $10.00 - New ballast cost $30.00 at the electrical supply.
Sand - that's why the water is cloudy - cleaned up from the 70 - I call it free or if you want $10.00
Paint - Sears weatherbeater bought as miscolor for $5.00 - but I've painted everything in the lab made of wood with it and still have a quarter gallon!
Hmm, what else?
Oh, the eggcrate - half a sheet - $6.00 (but actually given to me.)
Mag 7 pump, didn't work due to busted shaft and housing - new housing - $6.00, new shaft made from a 316 stainless welding rod - nothing :D
Sump - $5.00 from Wal-Mart - but I've had it for years. :P
Man, in these economic hard times we got to make do!

Edited by yardboy, 05 October 2008 - 02:28 PM.

Mischeif Nite

Mischeif Nite

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Joined 29 Jan 2008
  • SouthEastern, PA
Nice freakin' job dude!!!

I see an "HGTV" show in your future!! :lol:

yardboy

yardboy

Curious Reefer

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2004
  • Panama City Beach, FL
I'm particularly proud of the saltie cracker ballast can! :lol:
Bob Vila ain't got sh~t on me!

scottyreef

scottyreef

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

• Members
  • 3,436 posts
  • Joined 04 Mar 2008
  • Roseville,CA
so whats the toatal gallon round 25-30 gallons i'm guessing aslo waht is yout turn over rate in the tub? I look reallly cool but if i get another tank my wife said i should start packing my bags

Lalani

Lalani

Wait... what?

• Moderators
  • 27,291 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2007
  • Louisiana
Haha, that is one sweet ghetto frag setup! :lol:

20L

KCP - Canon 550D - Canon 28-135mm - Canon 100mm macro - Canon 50mm - Sigma 10-20mm - Flickr

Oh and everybody is a dick here except Lani. She is an evil genius which is different.

DON'T TALK ABOUT LALANI LIKE THAT!  :angry:

DeepSea

DeepSea

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 09 Sep 2008
That's awesome!! :lol:

dtfleming

dtfleming

Hookers and blow

• Members
  • 6,023 posts
  • Joined 15 Apr 2007
Awesome ghetto frag setup. I like the drain that you made. I need to redo mine.

blog

in other words, if you hear hoofbeats, think horses and not zebras.

nanoty

nanoty

^^^ 2008 NR Truth or Dare Champion

• Members
  • 7,554 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2007
  • Southeast Texas
Ghetto FTW!

yardboy

yardboy

Curious Reefer

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2004
  • Panama City Beach, FL

so whats the toatal gallon round 25-30 gallons i'm guessing aslo waht is yout turn over rate in the tub? I look reallly cool but if i get another tank my wife said i should start packing my bags

It's a 55 gallon drum, so about 25 gallons since it doesn't go all the way to the top edge, plus about a 10 gallon sump. It's shallower and more surface area than a 20L, so I should be able to get more frags in it that way.
Mag 7 return with a 2 ft. lift, so about 550gph/25 gallons = 22X. When I get sps frags in it I'll add a Maxi-Jet 1200 and if I need more I've got a DIY prop mod.
I had Genie help me move it out of the garage into the reef lab, she did make some little comment about "filling the place up soon" but I kinda ignored that. Fact is, when it gets cold all her orchids will be coming inside, so I'll have to make room for her then. It is a pretty cool place in the winter though, half jungle and half ocean.

Now for a skimmer and maybe a ghetto fuge. B)

Edited by yardboy, 05 October 2008 - 04:47 PM.

BJK2

BJK2

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • Joined 06 Jul 2004
  • Chicago, IL (suburbs) / Univ of Missouri
pretty much amazing. you always seem to come up with the most inventive projects. any way we can see more pics of the "lab"?
~Billy~

90 Gallon RR Coralife T5's, 100+ lbs LR, 20 Gal Sump, Various fish, and a pair of niger triggers!

BioCube 14... Currently starting over after it crashed in the dorm last November.

MU Aquarium Club member! Go TIGERS!!

ddr_phish

ddr_phish

dead stars, still burn

• Members
  • 2,179 posts
  • Joined 26 May 2008
  • Houston, Texas
Dude that is soo awesome. Thats not ghetto in the slightest! Instead I would call it brilliant and cheap.

My 34 Gallon Half-Moon Reef

Revolution, let your mind flow free, peace and freedom and the love community.

yardboy

yardboy

Curious Reefer

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2004
  • Panama City Beach, FL

pretty much amazing. you always seem to come up with the most inventive projects. any way we can see more pics of the "lab"?

Thanks BJK2, I guess I'm "one of those" who gets as much pleasure out of tinkering with stuff as I do looking at the tank.
I will get some pics of the full setup tomorrow. Lights are out now and I'm in the middle of a tank takedown so stuff is scattered all over the floor.

MitchReef

MitchReef

24 year reef newbie

• Members
  • 2,746 posts
  • Joined 07 Jul 2007
  • Orlando, Florida
I gotta hand it to you....that's not ghetto at all....that's BRILLIANT DIY at its best....I am deeply impressed....If you happened to grab more than one off those lighting fixtures I sure would love to talk you out of one....I never see any good stuff going toward dumpsters around here....

Feedback for MitchReef! ---- My 75 Gallon peninsula tank - Reborn!

You baptized yourself by mixing your blood with coral!!!

----Mvite----

Posted Image

MitchReef

MitchReef

24 year reef newbie

• Members
  • 2,746 posts
  • Joined 07 Jul 2007
  • Orlando, Florida
Speaking of both Skimmers AND ghetto, have you considered a DIY 2 Liter Bottle recirculating skimmer? I was going to build one out of two bottles cut and put together to give like a 24 inch tall, 6 inch wide skimmer with a decent recirc pump. I kinda figured the curved top would make for a natural neck shape....just a thought...I first thought of it in response to people bashing ghetto DIY efforts....

Feedback for MitchReef! ---- My 75 Gallon peninsula tank - Reborn!

You baptized yourself by mixing your blood with coral!!!

----Mvite----

Posted Image

PBUEHH

PBUEHH

Dare To Understand

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 31 Mar 2008
  • nesting in burt reynolds' chest hair
you DIY the right way :bowdown:

lol at wolf hi5ing after jimbo booshed a post that OC made regarding babyham calling wolf an attention whore.
irony and delusion all rolled into one. epic.

STD Alumni
Teh Hidden Text Cult Is Watching You.

plainrt

plainrt

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  • Joined 03 Jan 2008
  • sheboygan, wi
thats sweet.Very very well done.Change the name of thread.
Plainrt's project going back to my roots 34 rimless

http://www.nano-reef...-rimless-build/

John7429

John7429

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 25 Jan 2008
  • Garden Grove, CA
I agree with the others: Nice work!

Sergeant-G

Sergeant-G

Fire Fighter NREMT-P

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • Joined 09 Dec 2004
  • North Central Ohio
Very nice for using what you had laying around the house, it looks sweet
Air goes in and out, Blood goes round and round, Any deviation from this is bad, And if you drop a baby in front of the family (little suckers are slippery when wet) fake a seizure!!

babyjess210

babyjess210

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Joined 24 Sep 2006
  • West Los Angeles
Very nice work and unique!!!! One question, Why didn't you use the other half of the drum for the sump? :D :D

onefish2fish

onefish2fish

no chillers here

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 21 Sep 2008
  • antartica reefer

Very nice work and unique!!!! One question, Why didn't you use the other half of the drum for the sump? :D :D

shh...

... .thats for when the plants go inside...

......another frag tank.

yardboy

yardboy

Curious Reefer

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Joined 17 Jul 2004
  • Panama City Beach, FL
:D

darcurr

darcurr

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 22 Jun 2008

:D

Maybe you should just build Genie a green house. That way you could start ploting for the other half of that drum!!