ReefCleaners.org

Acan Placement?

ballerina

I have some acans getting blasted with a 250W MH and some that had to be put farther down in the tank.

It all depends on the coral.

I would agree with the med. flow

If it is happy it will be nice and puffy and will have good extension of feeding tentacles (usually after "lights out").

I can't attest to this personally, but I have read in several places that some of the more expensive red colorations will lose their fancy coloration under high light. Rainbow Acans, for instance. Haven't had a chance to test it myself.

I originally had 2 lords and a micro under 54W PC's but moved them under 250W MH in a 18" tall 30 gallon with higher flow. They were initially unhappy so I turned down the flow/lights and slowly acclimated them over a few weeks. After the initial acclimation period, all 3 colonies are doing just fine now.

I do place them in the lower half of the tank but all 3 colonies do get quite a lot of flow from my vortech and seem to be loving the higher flow.

I purchased my first acan about three months ago and have kept it on the substrate in my 75g with 6 X 54 T5HO. Water flow is generated with two Koralia 3's and an Aquaclear 110. Above description of puffy and extension how mine has behaved. I picked up five additional acan frags this past week to add to the collection.

acan.jpg

If it is happy it will be nice and puffy and will have good extension of feeding tentacles (usually after "lights out").

I can't attest to this personally, but I have read in several places that some of the more expensive red colorations will lose their fancy coloration under high light. Rainbow Acans, for instance. Haven't had a chance to test it myself.

I had this happen to some nice rainbows but it is under low light, 70 watt 14k halide. Turned the top facing ones red and the side ones are still green orange red but not nearly as nice, maybe more actinics or higher light would help but I haven't messed with them. All my others have stayed the same color. Placement, on a rock they can grow down on easily is best, low to moderate flow and lighting really depends on the acan.

Archived