Pod Your Reef

KILLER POM-POM

GioReef

My pom pom killed my cleaner shrimp. I saw the action. The shrimp was about to get some food on a rock and the crab "punched" him with the pom poms and the shrimp got stunned and then he grabbed him with his legs and took him in a cave and ate him. He's a cannibal and murderer of inverts.LOL. I cant believe what happened. This sucks i loved my shrimp.

Anybody else had this type of thing happen?

pics and a video or it didn't happen :P

Seriously, I think this is the first I heard of a pom-pom being aggressive towards anything that moves

Finally!!! someone else, My pom pom has killed 2 maybe 3 fish, he stalks them and pounces on them. I'll try and dig up the thread. No invert hostility from mine. At least you got to see the action though.

Sry i dont have pictures, it happened way to fast. I ran for the camera and he was taking him to the cave. Hes still eating him so maybe i can get a picture now. Hes aggresive to me emerald too. But doesnt do anything to him serious.

Man i hate pom poms now.

Quoted from my tank thread:

"Some interesting things have hapened in the last few months I got a clownfish and my pom pom crab legitamatly stalked and killed it! I saw the whole thing happen. He snuck up on him pounced and stung him on both sides. The clown swam around like crazy running into everthing, eventually coming to a stop on the sand infront of the pom pom."

Image-73574492754711DC.jpg

That is so crazy because I LOVE pom poms and want to add one to my not yet cycled pico when it's up and ready....now I have to have second thoughts...

Take their nems away from them with tweezers and stick them into a dish with some harmless sofite pieces... They feel naked without something to hold on too and they should go right for the coral pieces.. you only need tiny coral fragments so it should be easy to provide... when they accept their new "nems" they most likely won't have a potent enough sting to harm anything... its like putting a muzzle on a pitbull.

The good thing about it is they leave little softie frags in places and you wont know about it until you notice a phat little piece growing.

Mine seemed so nice the first month i had him. Then became a terrorist! The more he lives in the tank the more he thinks the WHOLE tank is his.

Turkey Baster

Whoa... I had a fish die recently and some people have been poting towards the Pom-Pom. I didn't think these little crabs could kill a fish. Hmmm, strange.

I added two pom poms to my 14g and one i came in one night with one pom pom holding the other one with 4 legs on the ground not attached to the crab. It managed to get away but minus both claws which means no more nems and missing two legs. I thought it was done for but it was still able to eat withouth the claws for a bit and now its fine with no more confronations...yet

NOW i start to find out that they are killers...If i only knew before i bought it. Now i also wasted $20 well spent on a shrimp which became lunch.

witch-hunt #2 the pom-pom lol

i just had a PFF get wasted yesterday and was wondering if it was my BTA that might have gotten it or my pom-pom. it was mid-day so i would think my bta. i can see me pom pom here and there and i know he has made home base right by my YWG and pistol. hope nothing happens.

what i dont get is how can the nem.'s on the crab stun a clown when they host nems? my clowns pretty much live in my BTA so i would think that shizzle wouldnt phase them.

Its kind of like putting a clown in a condy nem. Some nems they just cant tolerate, obviously shrimp or pther fish cant take it either... <_<

• 6 years later...

bought that sucker yesterday, guy at the store said that pom pom is safe and hides all the time.

today I discovered that he killed my antenna goby that I had for 6 months, I wonder if I should bet a bigger goby or get rid of the crab? also I saw him bullying my emerald crab

post-87295-0-65034400-1424116148_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah if you search around, quite a few records of this happening now.. those nems are apparently nasty! You can remove the nems, but I'd say just steer clear.

• 1 month later...
Durbelethwen

It is interesting to hear that the anemones can kill a fish. When my first pom pom crab died it had released one of its anemones just before it died and the anemone settled between sections of my leather coral. It seemed to be doing well for a while but it eventually disappeared. I think it is because my coral goby sat on it once too many times while sitting on the coral.

Archived