Cultivated Reef

How to keep live brine shrimp alive at home for feeding?

wmo168

How to keep live brine shrimp alive at home for feeding?

I don't want to go out every other day to LFS and buy some and if I do how do I keep them alive for a week or so?

I an keeping a scooter blenny..

All you need is an airline and a bowl. I keep them in a 2 litter modifed bbs hatcher but I've also used a gallon milk jug with the top cut off, a tall tupperware, etc. Really anything that holds water. Thow in an airline, set to bubble just enought to keep them moving. If you want keep keep them around a long time feed them once in awhile...some phyto, crushed flake...whatever and change the water out when it gets foul. I gutload before I feed them to the fish. This makes them more nutritous. To gut load scoop out just what you'll feed that time into a seperate bowl, mix up the enrichment (I use DTs, algalmac, nutrarose, garlic, beta glutan, selco in varius mixes depending on what I'm feeding), add to the bowl of brine, just enough to make the water cloudy, add an airline bubbling high, let them feed for 2 hours, rinse brine, and feed them out.

I have been in the process of trying to find a specific way to raise them, so i will share what I do. I have a 5 gallon tupperware tub I bought from Walmart for like 5-8 bucks to house them. I added some copepods to help with some cleanup because I dont see how you could change the water if you have alot of brine. After they are hatched I put them into the tub with properly mixed salt water, a heater, and an air tube. I feed mine spirulina (in powder form) that I purchased from a health food shop for like $15 or so, and I use VERY LITTLE. I actually was very successful on this last batch and they were about half size of the big ones you can buy (BTW it takes a LONG time for them to get big, maybe 2 months or more). They all died off though and i think it was because I took the vette out and after returning put it in the garage and all the heat that radiated from it made the garage pretty hot and flucuated the temps to much. SO keep them indoors if possible where the temp wont flucuate. Another thing I dont advise is putting Chaetomorpha in with them, I did this as I thought it would help with the water quality. All that happened is they would get trapped in it and die because when they poop it trails them like a piece of hair and gets wrapped around the chaeto. Another funny thing that I have noticed is that they live better in nasty water. The reason I say this is because I had a little plastic cup beside the tub that I would put scooped out bugs in (it was in the garage and if the doors were opened it would let alot of bugs in) and the unlucky brine that got scooped up with the bugs have lived longer than the ones in the tub and the cup has rotting bug water in it. Oh another thing I do periodically too is put a small amount of calcium along with trace minerals in their water because they of course need these to grow. Hope this helps.

lakshwadeep

I suggest reading this article since you should try to culture copepods and other things that the scooter blenny (actually a dragonet) eats in the wild:

http://joshday.com/mandaringoby.htm

Clicking on "Dr. Rhodes" site will take you to the oceanpods website. Going to the FAQs will show more info on culturing copepods. Under the "how do I culture copepods..." FAQ, you'll see a link to an article by frank marini, and it has great step-by-step instructions to making a culture tank.

• 12 years later...
On 7/18/2008 at 10:51 AM, ChrisS said:

All you need is an airline and a bowl. I keep them in a 2 litter modifed bbs hatcher but I've also used a gallon milk jug with the top cut off, a tall tupperware, etc. Really anything that holds water. Thow in an airline, set to bubble just enought to keep them moving. If you want keep keep them around a long time feed them once in awhile...some phyto, crushed flake...whatever and change the water out when it gets foul. I gutload before I feed them to the fish. This makes them more nutritous. To gut load scoop out just what you'll feed that time into a seperate bowl, mix up the enrichment (I use DTs, algalmac, nutrarose, garlic, beta glutan, selco in varius mixes depending on what I'm feeding), add to the bowl of brine, just enough to make the water cloudy, add an airline bubbling high, let them feed for 2 hours, rinse brine, and feed them out.

On 7/18/2008 at 10:51 AM, ChrisS said:

Hi! This is great info I just have one question, and mind my ignorance but is this in salt water or fresh? 

Archived