20 replies to this topic

TheCuban1040

TheCuban1040

Corals!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Joined 09 May 2007
  • Corona, CA

Well, my AP24 is on the brink of being full... but I'm not done getting new stuff so... new tank! I have wanted to set up a pico for a while now. They are so cheap and you can pretty much put them anywhere so when I was placing an order for salt I thought, what the heck. I got the JBJ mainly because it was on sale, and I knew that I was going to be upgrading the light anyways so that little 9W thing didn't bother me. I went with the 36W Current dual CF fixture and it fits the tank perfectly. I plan on sticking with my 'simple is better' principle with this tank and using nothing but filter floss in the stock HOB as filtration. I also packed the tank full of LR that I have had curing for a long time so that should cover all of my filtration needs.

Here is it on the day of it's birth (before the new light was on it):

Posted Image
Posted Image

Let me know what you think

davidr2340

davidr2340

Huh?

• Members
  • 6,152 posts
  • Joined 08 Dec 2007
  • Mill Creek, WA
Looks like you're off to a great start bro! If this SOB turns out anything like your bigger tank... DAMN!

Solana v2.0

113924d1245685712funnys.gif

scooternerd

scooternerd

aquarium and refugium designer/builder

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • Joined 02 Jul 2008
  • MIDDLE O NOWHERE FLORIDA!
looks awesome so far
"I know it can be done.I was just saying the Nerd can't do it."

LEAST EXPENSIVE PICO WORLD RECORD HOLDER!

AQUARIUM RELATED STUFF I HAVE BUILT

40 BREEDER

FishHeaded

FishHeaded

I Have A Nano Reef

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 05 Aug 2006
  • AZ
Looks good :)

TheCuban1040

TheCuban1040

Corals!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Joined 09 May 2007
  • Corona, CA
Thanks everyone! I was kinda lazy starting this thread... that picture was from about 3 weeks ago...

Here is a pic I just took right now with the new Green Clown Goby and Torch that I just picked up today:

Posted Image

I'm just letting everyone settle in for a while before I glue them down in their permanent positions.

el fabuloso

el fabuloso

viva la vida

• Moderators
  • 23,270 posts
  • Joined 07 Nov 2007
  • SoHendo
Great start! I love the rock work with all the coralline. How do you like the Dual Satellite? Do you plan on keeping the stock HOB filter? I can tell this is gonna be an awesome little pico.

TheCuban1040

TheCuban1040

Corals!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Joined 09 May 2007
  • Corona, CA

Great start! I love the rock work with all the coralline. How do you like the Dual Satellite? Do you plan on keeping the stock HOB filter? I can tell this is gonna be an awesome little pico.

Hey, thanks Fab! I'm loving the new light. How is that Monti Cap that you have in your tank doing? I was wondering what kinda limitations I have with this light as far as SPS goes. I want to make this tank mainly LPS and Yumas but your Cap looks sweet in there.

I'm planning on sticking with the stock filter. Since I'm only keeping LPS current shouldn't be a real issue. As far as fish go I'm only going to have the one Green Clown Goby, and I already have a bunch of inverts so there shouldn't be any food left-overs to worry about. We'll see how it goes...

el fabuloso

el fabuloso

viva la vida

• Moderators
  • 23,270 posts
  • Joined 07 Nov 2007
  • SoHendo
I'm glad the light is working for you. The Monti cap. in my tank is actually holding up pretty nicely. I don't know how other types of SPS would do but it's definitely tempting to find out. You won't have any problems with LPS which my blasto, galaxea and orange fungia can attest to.

IME, the stock filter doesn't provide enough circulation and you end up with a lot of dead spots. So I ended up adding a Rio 50 powerhead to add more flow. Just check for yourself and figure out what works for you.

TheCuban1040

TheCuban1040

Corals!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Joined 09 May 2007
  • Corona, CA
It's been a while! Here is a photo update. I also just placed another order with Mr. Coral so I look forward to taking some new pics once that stuff arrives.

Posted Image
Posted Image

BTW, I got that Scoly on the cheap from my LFS. I guess half of it had been buried in the sand or something so I'm slowly but surely nursing it back to glorious health.

Let me know what you think!

clownfish1124

clownfish1124

What'choo looking at foo?

• Members
  • 2,103 posts
  • Joined 16 May 2008
new totm. It's so pretty, especially the neon trumpet

debbeach13

debbeach13

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,934 posts
  • Joined 02 Aug 2005
  • Ocoee FL
This tank is sweet. Great colors!
Pay It Forward

TheCuban1040

TheCuban1040

Corals!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Joined 09 May 2007
  • Corona, CA

new totm. It's so pretty, especially the neon trumpet

Wow, thanks Clown. It's not quite finished yet... well, no tank is ever 'finished', but I've still got a ways to go before this tank is "El Fabuloso" status. ;)

Sedivec

Sedivec

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2008
  • New Jersey
wow nice tank

Lalani

Lalani

Wait... what?

• Moderators
  • 27,017 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2007
  • Louisiana
:o I didn't know you had a pico too! Just as awesome as your totm. :)

20L 8gal. Biorb

KCP - Canon 550D - Canon 28-135mm - Canon 100mm macro - Canon 50mm - Sigma 10-20mm - Flickr

Oh and everybody is a dick here except Lani. She is an evil genius which is different.

DON'T TALK ABOUT LALANI LIKE THAT!  :angry:

TheCuban1040

TheCuban1040

Corals!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Joined 09 May 2007
  • Corona, CA
A Rangers fan from Jersey huh? Looks like that'll be a good choice this year.

:blush: Thanks Lani! I have secretly been building the pico for a while. Had to make sure she was ready to be seen next to pico all-stars like yours.

got2envy

got2envy

Ridin' Dirty

• Members
  • 8,932 posts
  • Joined 11 May 2007
  • **West Palm Beach, FL** Relocated to Dallas, TX
Awesome pico! missed this thread :P

TheCuban1040

TheCuban1040

Corals!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Joined 09 May 2007
  • Corona, CA
Thanks Maria! Your 40L is sweet. One of the best black sand tanks I have seen

el fabuloso

el fabuloso

viva la vida

• Moderators
  • 23,270 posts
  • Joined 07 Nov 2007
  • SoHendo

Wow, thanks Clown. It's not quite finished yet... well, no tank is ever 'finished', but I've still got a ways to go before this tank is "El Fabuloso" status. ;)

That tank is already fabulous! I love your aquascaping, looks just like your big tank. And you're right, a tank is never finished I'm still trying to figure out what else I can cram into it. :lol:

Do you plan on getting some sexy shrimps? You should do it! :D

Asin

Asin

www.scnrs.com

• Members
  • 3,385 posts
  • Joined 23 Sep 2004
  • Los Angeles, CA
Que belleza!
Posted Image

TheCuban1040

TheCuban1040

Corals!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Joined 09 May 2007
  • Corona, CA
Macro of some Acans
Posted Image

shan

shan

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,955 posts
  • Joined 22 Jul 2008
  • Bowie Tx

Macro of some Acans
Posted Image

beautiful tank!!! My teen son just started a 3g pico himself, your tank gives him something to shoot for!!!
Moving on up!
6/24/12 moved up to the new Red Sea 500s, 135g
34g Solana w/ Outer Orbit 150w MH + 4/24w T5
http://www.nano-reef...?...209562&st=0
Upgraded from 14month 12g nanocube
Birthdate 10/4/2009