SaltCritters.com

What Gel Glue's are safe to use?

MattGecko

When I went to Home Depot I found a 2 pack of "Thick gel super glue" for $1.47. anyone know if this is reef safe?

A51065_3.JPG

I've used Crazy glue gel, but its more expensive & harder to find.

freakaccident

I used the stuff you have in the picture. It SUCKS! You have to use a ton of it and it dries so slow. Might as well stick your corals on with silly putty or maybe bath tub caulking. One good thing about that glue is the tip doesn't clog after uses. Probably because elmers white glue holds better.

I would suggest trying what pikelet said to use.

krazy glue isn't thick enough.

I bought glue from spsfrags.com, which is the best I have found so far.

I recently purchased glue from the manufacturer of zap gel that is very similar to the spsfrags glue but I have yet to use it. Perhaps I'll whip it out tonight as I am going home early (9PM) so that I can do a water change. This will, invariably, lead to my messing things up and I will need to glue something back in place.

Has anyone tried Instant Krazy Glue Brush on type?? I got myself on of this stuff because I thought the brush would make a better coat without the big clot mess. Give me some advice on this one guys.

Any super glue that has cyanoacrylate as the active ingredient is "reef safe". I've used a few brands of liquid and gel varieties, the liquid dries faster, but you need to put a few coats on. The gels dry slower but usually only require one application and are easier to keep from running all over the place.

I tried to use Crazy Glue gel to attach my chili coral a few months back, and the other day I was doing some rearranging and the coral just popped right off the rock. Hardly any stick to it. While at my local Marine aquarium store (too cool - dedicated to only reef stuff and they have several nano's!!) the other day I picked up some stuff called AquaStick Epoxy Putty. I really liked it. It's like silly putty with a really nasty smell (oh well) but it conformes to the crevices in the rock to attach the corals. It's the same color as pink coralline, so it blends in well.

Originally posted by MattGecko

Who sells Loctite gel?

I'm fairly sure I found the Loctite gel at Home Depot here in Florida. I've also seen it at Ace Hardware.

freakaccident

I tried that stuff in the pic above again last night just for the heck of it. I would like to state once again that it sucks! I glued a small candy cane frag down. I held it in place for about 5 minutes before I was able to let go of it. Later a scarlet hermit climbed on it and it tumbled over. I picked the glue off and it was still gummy. I wonder if that two part clay type stuff would work. It comes in a tube and you roll it together to form an evenly mixed ball. It doesnt dry to fast but might be thick enough that it wouldn't need to.

I wonder if that two part clay type stuff would work

Yes! That's what I used as mentioned above. AquaStick. It comes in a log form and you snip or tear off a chunk and knead it together for a couple of seconds to activate the epoxy , then stick it onto the bottom of the coral or on the LR and press the two together. Hardens underwater in 20 minutes and cures in 24.

freakaccident

I have seen the stuff in hardware stores but not called aquastick. I bet its the same stuff. This stuff smelled really nasty too.

I hate that crap. It crumbles, doesn't always hold, and makes a frickin mess.

Go with the glue. Hold the frag under water and leave the part that will be glued above the water line. drop a couple of drops of the glue on the frag, dunk, repeat and then place the frag. Hold for about 5 seconds and the frag should be in place. My frags that were not pre-mounted are all attached this way and the only time they come loose is when I knock a meat hook into one of them. Hermits crawl all over them and hang from the tips and they never fall.

I ditched my putty crap so my premounted frags are all jammed into crevices and they get moved around by the lobster and the hermits.

Glueing underwater with products like Zap or Loctite is never 100% in my experience. If it is possible to remove the rock or attach a coral to rubble first outside the tank, try that instead.

I'm not a big fan of zap gel. I bought it as a back up to the stuff I wanted to try. I hate the aluminum tube as the glue dries and when you squeeze the tube it invariably comes out the wrong end.

I can't remember the name. There is a product at home depot for doing marine repairs. It's also recommended for patch hot tubs because you can use it wet. It comes in a clear cannister and is 2 different color puttys one whit one blue when you squish them together they start curing. Full cure in 1 hour. I'm sure if you ask they'll know what you're talking about.

• 7 months later...

Anyone used the loctite gel to stick LR together?

I've been using the Holdfast epoxy and its crap. It does not set in 30minutes and just doesnt have

much holding power. After an hour in which you are able to sand, drill it the LR just breaks off when you move it. And it looks like I have blue tacked everything together.

i recently tried thick cynoacrylate like ZAP CA at the hobbie store and wow worked awsome dries almost the instant you put it in the water cost 2.99 and has some sticky hold untill it dries which takes about 10-15 seconds drop a little water on there and its faster

Archived