Top Shelf Aquatics

coral fluorescence

txtyster

Most green and orange/red coral glow pretty good. Try some blue LED moon lights or a blue led flashlight.

For my tank my acans, zoos, rics, hammer, and red mushrooms all glow nicely under moon lights

You could try hydnopora, they can really be stunning or you could try something easier like protopalyothoa

palyothoaafter.jpg

Its quite amazing, but this picture is 2 days old only and now they are brighter than ever in the green.

wow why didnt i think of this. is there anyone on here that could make a list. and possibly add some picts to it. that would be awsome. i know that some of the clove polyps glow

You don't really need a list. Deep water corals tend to fluoresce. Most LPS and softies really show off their colors under actinic. The brightness of the coral unde normal light is a good indicator of brightness under actinic.

My great glowers are shrooms, some. palys and zoas, bubble, frogspawn, etc...

You don't really need a list. Deep water corals tend to fluoresce. Most LPS and softies really show off their colors under actinic. The brightness of the coral unde normal light is a good indicator of brightness under actinic.

My great glowers are shrooms, some. palys and zoas, bubble, frogspawn, etc...

Yeah I think more corals do than don't.

mandarin dragonet

i think certain mushrooms flouresce and maybe a few button polyps. i saw a picture on google of a bright orange err .....?brain coral?

Most things with bright orange, green and red will glow. Zoas, ricordias and yumas, neon candy cane, frogspawns, torches, hammers, etc... The list is long!

The best glow I get is from my bubble coral. People who see my tank never believe that it is real.

I try to take some pics but my actinic shots never turn out.

HecticDialectics
i just picked up an actinic bulb recently and the only thing that glows is the gsp and i want to get some more corals that also glow..any recommendations?

what kind of actinic is it just outta curiosity

it's nothing special just a 15watt coralife actinic bulb..its a deep purple color

**i might have lied on my first post though because actually i can tell that my shrooms "glow" and my torch and frogspawn do somewhat also just nothing near to the gsp**

Any coral with a neon color will glow. Particularly greens and reds.

I like how some of the acros and other SPS corals glow...all night long. Some of you seem to be forgeting that as cool as zoas and softies look when they glow, they usually close 10 minutes later!

IME, about the only things that don't show well under blue lighting are some blue corals. Oranges, reds, some pinks, and bright greens glow pretty good. If your local LFS runs actinic, you could probably ask them to turn off the main tank light so you can see what looks good ;)

Talking about glowing ... I tried putting a black light on top of my tank and oooooooooh man !! It's trippy ! My condy glows like no tomorrow... Now I was wondering if black lights are bad for my tank ? I wouldn't see why but it doesn't hurt to ask ...

Cheers

Archived