inTank Media Baskets

Mr. Aqua 12 Long - Unnecessary tank

sanchez

NEW BUILD NEW BUILD NEW BUILD

OK, so I was at the LFS this past weekend, and I made the mistake of buying a Mr. Aqua 12 long for my kitchen counter, because I have nowhere else to put other tanks, as we already have 2 other large tanks.

So anyway, since it's going on the kitchen counter/bar thingy, it's going to be a see through from the kitchen to the living room or vice versa. I don't have any pics of how it's set up well, because I haven't taken any pictures as it's still in the box on the counter.

ALAS!

I have done much work in google sketchup trying to figure out how I can add a false wall to hide all the stuff with cords, heater, skimmer etc.

Here's what I've come up with:

7564345728_4a70cdf2c3_z.jpg

7564345870_449cda6f85_z.jpg

The chamber on the right will be sitting next to the wall with an outlet, so that's where everything will plug in. The AIO-ish chamber is 4 inches wide and has two baffles (as seen above). I haven't really thought about anything else such as lighting because I'm not that far! Just kidding, I just photoshopped a light fixture.

I plan on keeping maxi-minis and sexy scrimps along with some SPS. No lps/softies for the mean time. I will have 48w of LED over the tank (If that's how many LEDs I have left, it might be 42w, who knows).

Here's the light mockup: It's 2" x 24" and I'll be running it fanless because 16 LEDs aren't gunna fry this giant heatsink, and heatinkUSA makes quality stuff.

7564598498_54cda17e10_z.jpg

As far as equipment goes, I'll probably use a maxi-1200 as the return so I can get some flow goin on that side, and perhaps a K-nano or two on the other side to even out the flow. Skimmer will be a AquaticLife Mini 115 and I'll probably make some kind of media basket so I can get my chaeto on, because chaeto is awesome.

Hope ya'll like the design!

Of course, I will update this when stuff gets built/wet. Heatsink should be here next week.

I also just bought a Mr aqua tank that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. Looks like a good project good luck.

Looks interesting! I'll be tagging along :)

which LEDs are you going to use?

When I did my 40br I bought the Aquastyle 72 LED Kit and only used 48 of them, so I still have a driver and a bunch of LEDs/Optics lying around.

I also just bought a Mr aqua tank that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. Looks like a good project good luck.

Nice! it seems like a fun little tank, but unless you have it drilled/sumped it seems like it's kinda hard to plan equipment with how classy the tank itself looks.

Woot, heatsink just arrived! Here's the layout**

7586502068_39f837ae2b_c.jpg

Look at that craftsmanship! (No really, thanks heatsinkusa.com, you guys make a great product)

7586499822_d0986f5d8e_c.jpg

**Layout subject to change at any time during this promotion.

I also have a 12 long, and I was planning an all in one, my plan fell thro and im excited to see one work!

Ha, this is my "plan" :) I had a plan for my sump, but ended up setting up the tank the same day I moved my apartment, so all of the equip just got tossed in. Hopefully I stick to it this time haha.

Anywho, so it turns out I had more LEDs than I thought I did, thanks to Ray sending extras. I was going to add 8 more LEDs, but thought 72 watts would be kinda overkill over this little 12, also the driver I have only runs 12-12, so 24 is a no go so it will stay at 48 watts.

Here's the layout with the stars glued down.

7587770868_15f6e06435_c.jpg

I'll probably wire them later this week after the epoxy sets.

Started doing lights last night but got lazy halfway through.. I'll finish them tonight :) I also realized that I forgot to drill+tap the heatsink, so I dunno what I'm gunna do about mounting at this point. Oops

7642013254_43cab80063_c.jpg

All done!

7647998198_e25be7ccc0_c.jpg

Let there be light!~

7648057220_b631470024_c.jpg

And the tank, with the help of my lovely assistant (girlfriend).

7648214554_3e63fe3c5b_c.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Those lights look awesome. I kind of wish I had built my fixture, but the lack of equipment and experience pushed me in the commercially built direction. Good luck!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived