Cultivated Reef

Fishtank Kings: A New Nat Geo TV Show

Leonard

I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated thread about this upcoming show yet :)

Fishtank Kings: A New Nat Geo TV Show (Updated with Press Release) | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

National Geographic Wild television channel will debut the new show on May 12, 2012 starring none other than Living Color Aquariums, a manufacturer of high-end aquatic installations (including public aquariums) and a frequent contributor to Advanced Aquarist blogs.

More information and press release found in the article. I have my fingers crossed this show will be a much more responsible version of Tanked.

The problem with these shows is that I don't care about anything they create.

Their services are generally marketed towards people who have more money than sense.

& non-hobbyists.

I'd like to see them (Kings) spend more time discussing the technical aspects of what they do.

RayWhisperer

Reality TV crap....

All the channels are doing this now. Easy money. That's all it is. Tanked gets ratings, some other station has to make a show to compete.

Flipping through the channels on Easter, I was shocked to see the show American Pickers on the History channel. Please tell me how a show about some garbage pickers = history...

Tanked gets ratings, some other station has to make a show to compete.

You mean it's the same formula that 'Pawn Stars' used!?

Now there's a bastardized derivation on every major cable network.

:D

I hear EA Sports is about to release Pawn Stars vs. Storage Wars 2013 for Xbox and Playstation.

Reality TV crap....

All the channels are doing this now. Easy money. That's all it is. Tanked gets ratings, some other station has to make a show to compete.

Flipping through the channels on Easter, I was shocked to see the show American Pickers on the History channel. Please tell me how a show about some garbage pickers = history...

I actually kind of like American Pickers. They sometimes find some really interesting old stuff. and they through in just enough facts about the stuff they find to make it sort of historical. Plus there are crazy people - crazy people get ratings.

I suppose there's no chance the new show will go into any more detail about the stuff we find interesting than tanked does...

Cant believe nobody has mentioned the storage wars clones... there is like three clones of that show and one of them comes on the same channel lol

(And in the last scene of the mississippi delta episode of american pickers you can see my house. I wish i had been mowin the yard at that moment. I would be a star.)

C.I._Reefer
Cant believe nobody has mentioned the storage wars clones... there is like three clones of that show and one of them comes on the same channel lol

(And in the last scene of the mississippi delta episode of american pickers you can see my house. I wish i had been mowin the yard at that moment. I would be a star.)

the original storage wars show rocks though, but all the clones suck ass. Same with pawn stars

the original storage wars show rocks though, but all the clones suck ass. Same with pawn stars

Its like the original CSI is the best.....the others are just crappy knock-offs B)

HecticDialectics
The problem with these shows is that I don't care about anything they create.

Their services are generally marketed towards people who have more money than sense.

& non-hobbyists.

I'd like to see them (Kings) spend more time discussing the technical aspects of what they do.

Maybe they can put a show about the technical aspects of keeping a reef on PBS Sunday morning at 3:30AM right after the show about cross-stitching. It'll help close down the programming for the night.

HecticDialectics

I apologize, that wasn't really a fair comparison. There's probably 50 or 55 times more people into watching a show about cross-stitching than technical aspects of reef keeping.

While I'm not a fan of the biological aspect of Tanked, I do get new ideas and inspiration from watching it.

Though funny enough the ideas and inspiration I get from the show is the complete opposite of what they do. :lol:

Great! 'Another show with ninnies building 5000 gallon tanks filled with fake crap and plastic backdrops.

Nano-reef forums respond to this news a lot differently than other forums ;)

LCA is a reputable company so I have hope that this show will be heads and shoulders better than Tanked. There's going to be drama because drama sells, but I'm hoping there's more attention paid to good husbandry. For example, they visit ORA farms for a June episode so that's a great sign IMO. They also visit public aquariums for behind the scenes, etc. This is not Tanked from what I am seeing.

Reefkeepers really hate fake corals, but it's really not that bad ;) In fact, I would prefer these shows promote fake corals vs wild caught corals because the audience is predominantly newbies.

Animal Planet is replaying Tanked under Tanked: Unfiltered. Kinda like pop up video. Random facts and info on fish and parts of the build that didn't get covered in the original season. Its actually on, right now.

RayWhisperer

Oh, you mean like "In what species of fish does the male get pregnant?"

I saw that one on Easter at my aunts house.

jedimasterben
Animal Planet is replaying Tanked under Tanked: Unfiltered. Kinda like pop up video. Random facts and info on fish and parts of the build that didn't get covered in the original season. Its actually on, right now.

Like they did with River Monsters. I actually prefer the little popups, there's usually a lot more going on at the time than the camera shows, and it's interesting to get Jeremy's thoughts on what is going on.

If this has been covered somewhere, sorry.

I've seen Tanked once. My overall impressions is taht the guys are jerk-offs, and that they put too many fish in too small a tank, without considering compatibility much. That said, i've seen a lot of ripping regarding not setting up a biofiltration, etc. Does ayone know what is actually in the "life support" under the tank? I'm hoping it is more than just a canister filter, but afraid that I am wrong. I have never had a fish only SW tank, so I don't know if there is a difference in how filtration culd be handled vs the predominant live rock method we see here.

PS: Kinda liking Duck Dynasty....

Oh, you mean like "In what species of fish does the male get pregnant?"

I saw that one on Easter at my aunts house.

I saw this one in St. Louis (easter). The comments they've got are ridiculous as well.

Haha I just saw an episode last night....they used tap water in Vegas inside a hotel....and tap water ice cubes...and put fish in all within 8 hours on an overnight install haha. ####in noobs ;) (tanked show I mean)

The comments they've got are ridiculous as well.

QFT

Like I care what dude's wife's irrelevant blonde friend thinks.

Archived