Coral Vue Hydros

Convincing College to Increase Max Fish Tank Size -- Help Me Out!

nyknicks4412

Tell them your studying Marine Bio and coral growth and need it for your classes.

IDK why anyone would limit them to 10 gallons when a 20 takes almost the same amount of space up.

It about water damage, not space

Since the general consensus is to break the rules and go with a 20, you might as well find out what repercussions breaking the rules can bring down on you.

Since the general consensus is to break the rules and go with a 20, you might as well find out what repercussions breaking the rules can bring down on you.

I don't know if that is the consensus.

There is a strong following (myself included) for "Skip the tank. Get a woman."

It about water damage, not space

Oh I know, it's an insurance thing.

Do a 10g tank and have a display fuge with nice macros and critters/mantis!

There ya go! A 10 gallon display fuge would be a different tank all together! :P

nyknicks4412

Haha wow wasn't expecting all the negative ideas! Figured fellow reefers would be all for this. With that said I guess I should have been more specific in the original post. I already spoke with the administration and the vice president of student affairs seemed positive about it. She just wanted me to list out the positives and negatives.

As for breaking the rules. I have no problem doing that lol. Just wanted to try and make it legit first and would prefer to not setup a nice 20-30 gallon setup only to be told during room inspections before a break it needs to go.

As for my situation and why I want to go bigger. 10 gallons is great and all but it fills up quickly. I want more room for additional fish and corals. My tank thread isn't up to date so I'll update it so you guys have an idea of how it looks now.

I live at school full time pretty much as I have an internship here during the summer and during breaks. I don't need to take the tank home or anything. In fact, I am a homeless reefer as my parents have informed me my bedroom is no longer my room lol. Tank will just need to be moved across campus once! And then into an apartment upon graduation in a year and 2 months from now. My theory is if I have to move 10 gallons...whats the big deal with moving another 10.

My housing is apartment style in large townhouses so space really insn't an issue. I have my own single room upstairs so drunks messing my place up isn't an issue.

I don't know if that is the consensus.

Had a women for a year now haha...she actually posts on here so no worries there! Glad everyone's concerned about my social life though :lol:

What the hell kind of school did you go to?.... and how bad did your roomate hate you?

More like what kind of friends do you have?

I have my 5.5 in my room, but I keep the door to my room open pretty much any time I'm not there. This is a suite living with 4 other people, and there has never been an issue of someone being a drunk idiot and pouring things. The suite door is closed, but my room isn't. I'm living off campus next year and will be doing a 30 gallon tank and this doesn't even register as a concern with that tank either.

Because those are mutually exclusive things.

Had a women for a year now haha...she actually posts on here so no worries there! Glad everyone's concerned about my social life though :lol:

HAHA Good catch

I kept a 10 gallon through college at Virginia Tech. Part of the reason they want smaller tanks is to protect against water damage if it breaks. Just wait a few years but keep a nice 10 gal now. You'll have more money for other stuff like kegs.

Since you'd be graduating and moving in a year, I say just stick with your 10g until then. It'll be easier to break down, when it's time for the move. You can then reward yourself with a bigger tank after you graduate and move the contents of the 10 straight into the new tank.

bhskicker18

I can see where water damage would be an issue, but tell them an "upside" is stress relief and reduced allergies which means less time out of class.

All it takes is just one time for the door to be left open. My roommate was a dumba$, the only time he locked the door was when I was locked out after taking a shower and he was doing the deed with the lady friend..So many times the room was left unlocked or the door was left open..

Someone I shared my floor with kept a caiman in his closet for 2 years before word got around. :lol:

Coming from someone who's changed policy, you're not going to change policy over such a small issue. The amount of support and research you'll need is just silly when no one is going to tell the difference/care about a 20 gallon tank.

A tank in college isn't a great idea either.

dont keep a tank in college. Waste of money and time. You should be more worried about chasing girls, getting drunk, and pretending to learn something. Enjoy college and have fun!

I am doing this college thing all wrong.

College sounds sswweeeeeett...

Don't you guys feel guilty for making your parents pay $200,000+ for dat #### though?!

$50,000 a year is a reasonable tuition nowadays O:

College sounds sswweeeeeett...

Don't you guys feel guilty for making your parents pay $200,000+ for dat #### though?!

$50,000 a year is a reasonable tuition nowadays O:

Scholarships really help. Especially when you live in a state like mine that has a "promise scholarship." When I was applying to undergrad, to get the promise all I had to do was score a 21 on my act and have a 3.0 gpa. To keep it, I had to remain a full time student and stay above a 2.0 and it paid for my tuition. Then all you need is a few other scholarships to pay for your books and living expenses and you can get paid to go college like I did.

dont keep a tank in college. Waste of money and time. You should be more worried about chasing girls, getting drunk, and pretending to learn something. Enjoy college and have fun!

Don't give him that advice.... That's why it took me 7 years and I barely got into law school :) (But I do agree 100% with you)

I did keep a FOWLR after I moved out of the dorms and into an apartment though. It was an ice breaker o get girls back to my apartment.

Scholarships really help. Especially when you live in a state like mine that has a "promise scholarship." When I was applying to undergrad, to get the promise all I had to do was score a 21 on my act and have a 3.0 gpa. To keep it, I had to remain a full time student and stay above a 2.0 and it paid for my tuition. Then all you need is a few other scholarships to pay for your books and living expenses and you can get paid to go college like I did.

State schools :rolleyes:

I love how everytime there is a thread about college, someone has to come out and brag about thier own level of college education.

I need to freaking move to WV. I live in PA, it's not that far. My pockets are empty.

I love how everytime there is a thread about college, someone has to come out and brag about thier own level of college education.

We aren't bragging. We are complaining.

Not bragging, just providing the other side of "college is expensive."

I need to freaking move to WV. I live in PA, it's not that far. My pockets are empty.

It's become a little harder to get as time has gone by but it's been a godsend for many people who wouldn't have been able to afford college. :)

Archived