Coral Vue Hydros

Coastie's CAD 22

Coastie

So since I am moving into an apartment, I have decided to downgrade from the 40. I'll be sad to see it go but the cost savings are going to be pretty significant, as well as the lower maintenance. Toss in the chance to do everything over, and do the things I have learned from over the past year and a half of being in the hobby.

With that being said, peektures!

What I came home to! (okay I got too excited and started opening before a picture could be taken:

b998ae28.jpg

Out of the styrofoam padded box within the crate, damn styrofoam:

a8a5f371.jpg

Picture of the back chambers:

3c5a872b.jpg

Got the additional skimmer, and it came with some glass panels!:

f57d20a6.jpg

The light, not impressive at all but hell, it works:

f20934f9.jpg

Timer/Clock on light... Displays 24 hour time!:

9daa6dbb.jpg

This amazed me, they actually painted the end of the plastic black to cover the bulb mounts:

361a4507.jpg

Lights lit:

d9ccf32d.jpg

Lights on tank:

d78dab28.jpg

Leak Test!:

f04c796e.jpg

Moon lights:

9f103a7f.jpg

As far as a review I can say thus far I am impressed. The tank even comes with a piece of white pad to use as filter floss. The light needs some work but hell for the price paid I cannot complain. I may eventually upgrade the light... The site says "individual reflectors" but it's one solid piece that has 2 bulbs per "channel", so I feel that was a little injustice done. Regardless, the actual tank is amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another!

a lot of companies consider, what you have to be individual reflectors however... hope to see something in it! How big is this tank? it looks to be about 20ish and if thats so 4 t5's should give you enough light for anything individual reflectors or not. :) good luck!

The tank is a 22g, only 14" deep I believe. It's an awesome tank. I am sure that this light will work but I may get one with individual ballasts.

up to you but I dont see the point in spending the money on that when it could be on fish and corals :) either way though you will be fine. happy reefing!

Oh it won't be any time soon. The light could potentially be upgraded in the future... Not sure I trust the built in timer.

yeah, I can honestly say that it isn't the greatest. It isn't horrible but the fixture only has one power cord. The timers control the LEDs and the T5s (not independently). This means you can do a somewhat sunrise/sunset type deal, kicking on 1 ballast and then the other an hour later. Reversing that for sunset,

It's not a horrible light but there are better out there that's for sure. Side note, I love this tank.

Filling:

8be4d5ca.jpg

Bare sand:

fab5f6b3.jpg

Added a piece of rock from my tank:

6ee04f26.jpg

View from my couch:

8bd5f9d6.jpg

Cleaning an MP10 (thought it was funny to actually turn it on in such a small tupperware container, at full power no less haha):

74067aa7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

yeah the new T5s were brighter than the 250W metal halide I had, hence the bleached birdsnest in the background.

74067aa7.jpg

Genius...why have I never thought of this...damn cleaning three vortechs suck...thank you sir

My pleasure! I must admit, it was a pretty decent idea! limited thte amount of vinegar used and you can run the MP10 in the tupperware containter, it essentially cleans itself.

My pleasure! I must admit, it was a pretty decent idea! limited thte amount of vinegar used and you can run the MP10 in the tupperware containter, it essentially cleans itself.

im gonna have to try it.

• 7 months later...

36E07658-9B99-4830-9459-CC2639DF6C04-6279-0000038ED89AD95B.jpg

Long time no talk... Here's an updated pic for your drooling pleasure. Considering selling the 'cans but I have no idea what to charge for em haha.

Didn't know about that, it's been a while since I've been on here. Though I don't believe I have much of a chance against your tank, looks amazing!

don't sell yourself short. You have a great tank with some especially nice acans. Just focus on some good angles on the tank and some nice macros.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived