Cultivated Reef

Unethical reef keeping

JamesHL88

I have on that notion always wondered how good of live Musky bait a blue hippo tang would make !!!!

Ive always thought a neon tetra would be the ultimate bait for crappie trolling

Everything i handgrab goes into a dry cooler until im done fishin then i fillet them in the same manner u descrbed. Qnd dont get me started on frog giggin. Bull frogs are the most resiliant animal i have ever seen. I have stories about cleaning them that would probabluly get me death threats in some forums. But lets just say this, "frog leggs still jump in the skillet" is not a myth i have the burns to prove it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say my fish have personality as much as behavior that I call personality. Makes twisted sense to me. My family is attached to our saltwater fish. I could care less about my sons glofish even though I'm the one that takes care of them. After getting a pistol shrimp we didn't see the YWG for a couple of days and my wife ecstatically sent me a text one morning with a pic and the caption "Goober's alive!" As others have mentioned I think my attachment will increase over time in part due to the effort and time invested.

Is the fish on par with my dogs. No freaking way. I'd run back into my burning house if I was relatively sure I could get my dogs. I wouldn't even think of the fish other than "that sucks." My fish know me as the thing that feeds them, stresses them out by moving crap around, and periodically sticks something into the water that makes the water level go down. Then that thing indiscriminately dumps a bunch of water back in.

Someone else said the fish are pets and the aquarium is a hobby. I concur with that. But my fish are not pets that are on par with the dogs.

As to flushing a sick fish. No problem with it. You take care of them as best you can. If that means a QT or hospital tank then great. If you don't have one, for whatever reason, sucks to be the fish. You tried and you failed. Time to move on. I personally don't have a QT setup. Some people keep dogs outside without a dog house. Doesn't make it right but it's the way things go.

I think there is much to be done to encourage responsible reef keeping. Everything from more controls over how fish are captured and transported to a strong emphasis on captive breeding should be encouraged. I do not like thinking about how many wild caught fish die for the amount that make it safely into our aquariums. It's irresponsible IMO. That's where the focus of this hobby needs to be. How can we improve the lives of our live stock. We actually do fairly well once they make it to our aquariums. We have all kinds of resources to assist in keeping the water in great condition. More advances are sure to come. What I want to see is a better survival rate across the entire supply chain.

Wow. Sorry for the long post!

Archived