Cultivated Reef

My first - 20L

JulieR

turbo's can get big, but also can knock over corals... -- i love trochus snails.. they really seem to do a great job, and can withstand attacks from hermit crabs (the 4 i have can)... and they do look really cool.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoops, got so caught up thinking about snails that I forgot I had another picture to post.

IMG_1533.jpg

Here's one of the hermits. Not the best picture. Glass is a little fuzzy.

LITH - you should list what kind of snails you got! Are the hermits blue leg, red tip, other?

those hydrometers are not meant to stay in the tank like that. Some problems that may occur are changing power heads like you said. This will cause it to bounce up and down with readings. Also any air bubbles that may get stuck under or in it may affect the reading. I use to have that one and threw it out lol, just buy the dip in one or splurge and get a refractometer.

Probably going to have to bite the bullet and just get the refractometer one of these days.

When I got the cuc members today, I also saw some sexy shrimp. They were so adorable. Now I'm curious about how suitable they would be in my tank. Going to do some reading on that, but also, anyone have experience with them?

Most likely a pair of clowns and some kind of goby. Maybe a YWG/pistol shrimp pair. I still can't decide between orange clowns and black clowns. They're both so attractive. I love the dramatic look of the black ones, but at the same time, I feel like it's sacrilege for my first clowns to not be orange :lol:

loll lol -- im still deciding on what to get next after my oscellaris clowns.. tryin to get a feel for what ppl get in 20L.. .it seem's as tho maybe we're a bit limited? But yea, black clowns all the way.. I wanted to get black clowns --- went into the LFS, saw they were 50bucks a piece, so settled for the 20 dollar 'fake clowns'.. .:D

Im debating on purple firefish.. not sure if my clowns will eat them....:S

I have 5 in mine, only problem I had was the ammonia spike from the move other then that my nitrates have been 0.

If it gives an idea

2 clowns

1 banghai

1 pgymy angel

1 yellow watchman

They work well together, although I am getting bored of the "normal" fish. Yellow watchmans can get pretty angry, anytime my angel goes close to his cave he puffs up and bites him lol

Pistol Shrimp are good if you have the YWG they will pairup but bewhere the Shrimp like to rearange the sand every day or 2... If you have your rocks sitting on top of the sand Don't get one it will dig under the rocks and get trapped and die. Nice setup I am thinking of setting up a 20L myself have one in my fish room just sitting there want to do it with alot of marine plants.

I prefer Nerith snails and cerith's for rock and glass. I have about 5 of each in my tank. A couple Trochus snails because they look good. Watch your crabs. The red legs love to steal Cerith shells. Blue legs are shell stealer's as well. If you want a couple hermit crabs, Scarlet reef crabs are the best. Otherwise hermit crabs can be a PITA.

I have a couple Barnacle Blennies in my 20 long. I love'm because they are fun to watch. They stay hunkered down in there little hole with there heads poking out watching everything going on. When you add food to the tank they dart out and grab a piece and then race back to there hole as fast as they can. Its fun to watch. I have seen a couple times when my Firefish or Pygmy angel was swimming to get a piece of food and just as they get there "sap" the Blennies snatches it and is gone before the other fish has any idea what or who just rob it.

Defiantly get a Goby and Shrimp pair. Another great addition for this type of tank.

A couple Sexies will be just fine in your tank if you stay with non agressive fish as you have already discribed. Wrasses would not be a good idea with Sexies.

Nice, i wish my snails seemed to actually do something ha.

I picked up 5 Cerith snails, and 5 dwarf blue legged hermits, and they also gave me 1 big one that is probably 3 times bigger than the others. Im also pretty sure he killed 1 of the snails already so im gonna have to keep any eye on him.

Nice, i wish my snails seemed to actually do something ha.

I picked up 5 Cerith snails, and 5 dwarf blue legged hermits, and they also gave me 1 big one that is probably 3 times bigger than the others. I'm also pretty sure he killed 1 of the snails already so I'm gonna have to keep any eye on him.

You would be surprised what your snails are doing for you.

Well the shell hijack is already done so unless you have a snail with a larger shell you will most likely be ok. I recommend you pick up a few empty Cerith shells from your LFS and toss them behind the rocks. That way as the Hermit Crab grows it has a few shells that are empty to choose from, instead of stealing one.

New livestock omgomgomg

Not home yet, but I have a bag in my lap that contains two oc clowns and a small acan :)

I felt like a kid in a candy store. There were some really cute little green clown gobies that tempted me. There was even a dwarf hermit who appeared to have a good pinch of ricordea growing on its shell!

Pictures later tonight!

irondragon013

lol LFS are soooooo tempting. I almost bought some zoas yesterday when all I went to get was water. Congrats on the purchases. :D

Pictures pictures

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

Acans (Got this for $20)

IMG_1546.jpg

Ocellaris (Also $20 - each)

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

I think this is representative of how close they've been sticking to each other.

"You're my only friend in the world now, don't leave me!"

Water quality tested perfect again today. But all that algae is driving me NUTS. Need to get some more snails. I know they say it's normal for new tanks to get lots of diatom algae and that it will go away later/on its own, but it's making me feel like the tank is filthy and not fit for living things. The trochus has done a superb job on the small area that he's covered. But he seems to like to stick to just two rocks, ha.

O man lookin really good!! I just added a pep. shrimp today still no fish yet though for me.

Yeah the tank looks giant with those little guys, I love it!

Three new residents :)

179017_593198124625_58405493_33685599_6947658_n.jpg

Frogspawn. You can see at the top of the photo, I moved the acan up on the rocks.

164728_593198144585_58405493_33685600_6365727_n.jpg

Xenia

168698_593198179515_58405493_33685602_6632953_n.jpg

Yellow polyps

I went to the LFS with the intention of buying some ricordea, and left with this lot instead :huh:

For my eventual final fish stock, I was thinking about adding a green clown goby and a randall's goby? Are there any inherent problems with those two together or with anything else in my tank? Those GCG at the lfs just got a hold on me.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I got an amphipod hitchhiker with these new corals. I saw some tiny shrimp-like thing scuttling around on the sand before it went to hide in the rocks. It was actually kind of attractive. I think it was white and red in coloration? And it's tail/butt was curled up underneath itself. Wish I could have gotten a picture, but by the time I grabbed my camera it was already heading for the crevices.

Nice pic ups.. some rics in the future would be a nice addition.. Hopefully your clowns will start moving towards using one of your frags as a host, so they don't have to sleep on the sand bed.

Hopefully your clowns will start moving towards using one of your frags as a host, so they don't have to sleep on the sand bed.

That's what I'm hoping! The frogspawn is too small to host right now, it's smaller than the fish themselves. I feel like I've read that Xenia can host too? Or am I making that up? That frag is about twice the size of a clown. It actually has two different kinds of Xenia on the one rock. Very neat find.

Archived