ReefCleaners.org

John's 44g Cube milli garden

JohnOTS

So I have decided to ditch my all in one RSM and dive into a full system with a sump. The RSM has been great but I am ready to design my own system.

Here are some drawings of the system I am building.

44ImageFull.png

44ImageNoDoors.png

44Plumbing.png

I am having both the tanks built by John at Advanced Acrylic, it should be done in about a week from now.

I am building the stand myself and I am almost finished.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Niicee! You're going to be so happy with your tank and sump!

Lets get an equipment list here! I wanna see what's going to be running this tank!

This is my current equipment list, with cost

• 45 gallon acrylic display 24" long x 24" deep x 18" high
  • 30 gallon acrylic display 26" long x 18" deep x 15" high
  • Eheim 1260 (635gph) $50 used
  • AquaEuroUSA Mighty Pro 1/10 HP Chiller from current tank
  • Sunlight Supply Tek Light T5 from current tank
  • (2x) Nanocustoms.com par38 bulbs 20k $119
  • Ecotech Marine MP20 Vortech Pump $299
  • SWC Extreme 160 Protien Skimmer $250
  • NextReef MR1 Media Reactor $69

Automation Hardware and Accessories "The DREAM list"

• Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite (Net) Controller $379.99
    2 x RKM-PC4 (total of 8 outlets)
    1 x RKM-SL1 (Inputs: pH, ORP, Temperature, 2 x Switch Ports)
    1 x NET Module
    1 x Temperature probe (iTemp)
    1 x Digital Aquatics pH probe
  • Digital Aquatics Double Float Switch Kit w/ Mounts $44.99
  • Tom Aquatics Aqua-Lifter Dosing Pump (ATO) $11.99

I am thinking I might add two Evilc66's PAR 38 bulbs to my TEK light.

Those bulbs are sweeeeeet!

I think I have made up my mind on a Herbie style overflow.

Has anyone ever had any issues or recommendations with this style?

Paleoreef103
So I have decided to ditch my all in one RSM and dive into a full system with a sump. The RSM has been great but I am ready to design my own system.

Here are some drawings of the system I am building.

44Plumbing.png

I am having both the tanks built by John at Advanced Acrylic, it should be done in about a week from now.

I am building the stand myself and I am almost finished.

Two quick comments. Putting the returns up a bit higher might be better for if you have a power outage and also seriously consider putting a second drain in the overflow for a herbie system. It will quiet your system down. Otherwise, I love the design and I'm positive this will be a great tank. Where are you going to put those spotlights BTW? All blue or 20K?

Two quick comments. Putting the returns up a bit higher might be better for if you have a power outage and also seriously consider putting a second drain in the overflow for a herbie system. It will quiet your system down. Otherwise, I love the design and I'm positive this will be a great tank. Where are you going to put those spotlights BTW? All blue or 20K?

Thanks for the comments.

This drawing is a little outdated, I do want the returns as high as possible and I will be adding the second "emergency" drain in the external overflow. The external overflow dimensions will be around 12” wide by 4.5” deep by 12” high, this should give me plenty of room to get the water level in the overflow balanced between the two drains.

Regarding the PAR 38 bulbs I am not sure yet. The TEK light is not very deep so I should have plenty of room to "neatly" hide it behind the TEK fixture or in front. Either way it needs to be as neat and clean as possible for the wife to be happy. ;)

Well the stand is almost finished!

Now I am not sure what to do with the finishing.... :huh: I want it to be really dark grey, but not black...

Should I stain it?

Should I paint it?

or just put a clear coat on it.....?

stand1.JPG

stand2.JPG

stand3.JPG

stand4.JPG

stand5.JPG

stand6.JPG

stand7.JPG

stand8.JPG

stand9.JPG

ever since ive built my own stand, i appreciate the work that others do. great job on your build. i would really stain it. check out my stand on my thread. i used minwax prestain and 3 coats of minwax polyshades bombay mahogany. didnt require any clear coat

Looks nice I would stain that with a matte finish in a dark gray that your looking for... here's a link I like the forest gray if your going dark http://www.cabots.com.au/exterior/timber_ext_stains.asp

Thanks! I will check them out.

ever since ive built my own stand, i appreciate the work that others do. great job on your build. i would really stain it. check out my stand on my thread. i used minwax prestain and 3 coats of minwax polyshades bombay mahogany. didnt require any clear coat

I know what you mean! building a nice stand is hard work.

After looking at yours I am going to stain it for sure! I love your rockwork, your tank looks awesome! What are the dimensions of your display tank? 24 by 24 by 16?

I really need help deciding what size and brand return pump to use for this system. I have never created my own system and have no idea what to use. I plan on keeping SPS mainly but I will be using a MP20 for flow.

So with a display of about 40G and a sump holding about 20G with two 1" drains (herbie) and two 3/4" returns what should I run? How many gallons per hour should I plan for?

fiddly_foo

cool so did you do anymore thinking into what color stain or brand your goona use what did you think of that forest gray from that link I sent you. Or did you change your mind on the color I think a dark grey would be nice .I mean everybody does a cherry or red finish and blk no. That dark gray showwing the grain of the wood would look classy . We'll I check up daly on your build and watch this bad boy grow into a beautifull reef..later

cool so did you do anymore thinking into what color stain or brand your goona use what did you think of that forest gray from that link I sent you. Or did you change your mind on the color I think a dark grey would be nice .I mean everybody does a cherry or red finish and blk no. That dark gray showwing the grain of the wood would look classy . We'll I check up daly on your build and watch this bad boy grow into a beautifull reef..later

I did decide on the stain, I went with ebony. It is closer to black then gray. I did some samples on gray and I didn't like the way it turned out at all. I have put two coats on and going to do the third tonight, then I am going to put an oil based polyurethane coat to finish it up. So far I am liking the way it turned out.

I cant wait for the tanks to be done! :)

I am starting to purchase all the equipment now, going to pick up the skimmer after work. :D

All the stand needs now is the door handles and its done. Lots of respect for all of you who build your own stands, this was alot of work!

standStained.JPG

standStained4.JPG

kthehun89
This is my current planned equipment list, with cost

• 45 gallon acrylic display 24" long x 24" deep x 18" high
  • 30 gallon acrylic display 26" long x 18" deep x 15" high
  • Eheim 1260 (635gph) $150
  • AquaEuroUSA Mighty Pro 1/10 HP Chiller from current tank
  • Sunlight Supply Tek Light T5 from current tank
  • Ecotech Marine MP20 Vortech Pump $299
  • SWC Extreme 160 Protien Skimmer $250
  • NextReef MR1 Media Reactor $69
  • JBJ auto top of unit $79
  • small pump for ATO??? dont know yet...
  • Refugium light??? Dont know yet...

dump the JBJ ATO and get a autotopoff.com with an aqualifter pump, costs way less and is fail safe!

dump the JBJ ATO and get a autotopoff.com with an aqualifter pump, costs way less and is fail safe!

Thanks! I will check it out, I figured the JBJ was the safest way to go. I just havnt done much research. Why are those units safer?

I picked up the skimmer today.

skimmerNew.JPG

I also found a used Eheim 1260 that I was looking for, it is soaking in vinigar and water right now.

kthehun89
Thanks! I will check it out, I figured the JBJ was the safest way to go. I just havnt done much research. Why are those units safer?

The JBJ's are notoriously unsafe, several people report malfunctions. The autotopoff.com are really simple and the 2 float switch unit is safe cuz the second sensor acts as a fail safe. hope this helps

Stand looks awesome! the dt in my tank is 24 x 24 x 14. i want that skimmer too!

Thanks! I am really happy with how the stain turned out, I still plan on putting a polyurethane clear coat on it for safe measure.

I cant wait to get this skimmer wet!

The JBJ's are notoriously unsafe, several people report malfunctions. The autotopoff.com are really simple and the 2 float switch unit is safe cuz the second sensor acts as a fail safe. hope this helps

Thanks, I really appriciate the input, I need all I can get with this build. I do like how the autotopoff systems are really simple, less to go wrong. I will be looking more into it.

The JBJ comes with 2x switches as well and can be run with 1x being the upper limit failsafe, just like the 2x float system from autotopoff.com. I won't argue whether one is more reliable, just that your post makes it seem like you're comparing apples to oranges when it's really apples to more expensive apples.

The JBJ comes with 2x switches as well and can be run with 1x being the upper limit failsafe, just like the 2x float system from autotopoff.com. I won't argue whether one is more reliable, just that your post makes it seem like you're comparing apples to oranges when it's really apples to more expensive apples.

I don't know much about either of the two systems. I thought with the jbj you could fine tune how long the pump can stay on each interval. This would seem like an addition protection???

i will take a couple frags to not show the pricing in this thread to Linda :P

I like the color, John.

thanks dan!

I can edit that post really fast you know!!!!

the picture makes it look darker than it really is too.

kthehun89

well, with an aqualifter pump, you dont need to worry too much about massive flooding. it pumps at ~2 gph so it pushes a trickle basically. helps with fine tuning water levels, salinity stabilization, and safety. and its the boxes that i dont trust with JBJ's, too much to go wrong...

Archived