Coral Vue Hydros

NC6 LED

evanj

use something more like this

you will be better off with this

http://www.ledsupply.com/creexre-w100.php ( 3)

http://www.ledsupply.com/creexre-rb.php (3)

http://ledsupply.com/03023-d-e-1000p.php (2)

http://www.ledsupply.com/17261-ps.php ( just 1 )

:) Thanks ryeguy!

That looks way better, why would you recommend two buckpucks vs the 1 Mean Well LPC-35-700W driver supplied in the other kit? Would you be able to control the blues and whites independently?

Why Q4 cool white LEDs? Why not Q5, neutral white or warm white?

Those are 1 watt LEDs.....most of the ones I've seen used for reef lighting are 3 watts.

Also I wonder if the Aluminum sheet they are attached to will be enough of a heat sink

to provide long life for the LEDs.

Would you need a get a fan to help keep the LEDs cooled?

Just some thoughts....I'm definitely no LED expert...

If you do try it, I'll be following along to see how if works!

Doug N

The Nanocustoms kit is not 1W LEDs. They are 3W Edison Opto units using Cree dies. Not quite the same output as a Q5, but reliable. The heatsink was custom designed and analysed and works very well. It's far more than a "sheet" of aluminum.

That looks way better, why would you recommend two buckpucks vs the 1 Mean Well LPC-35-700W driver supplied in the other kit? Would you be able to control the blues and whites independently?

ask evil and say thanks to him you know he his the gawd of leds

ive bombed him with pms

he gave me that list

Would the 6 LED retro fit kit from rapid LED be an improvement from my current 50/50 18w stock lighting?

I don't plan on keeping anything in my NC6 other than Zoas, a Ric and Shrooms - maybe some Pom Pom Xenia..

It will be a great improvement in both color and output.

Seperate dimmable drivers will let you control the brightness of each color independantly, allowing you to set brightness and color temp. Q4s are a little less powerful than the Q5, and a little cheaper. you will want cool white LEDs for this. Neutral and warm white will be a little too yellow.

Thanks for the info evilc66. That's crazy that six LEDs will be an improvement over the PC in there right now. I might go for eight just to help cover more area if nothing else.

I think I'm going to skip the large heat sink and go for individual ones on top of an aluminum frame - more open space for air circulation and it will probably fit better in the hood.

The Nanocustoms kit is not 1W LEDs. They are 3W Edison Opto units using Cree dies. Not quite the same output as a Q5, but reliable. The heatsink was custom designed and analysed and works very well. It's far more than a "sheet" of aluminum.

Hey evilC,

I was referring to the other unit he was considering, not the NanoCustoms one......see post #8.

Sorry about any confusion....

Doug N

The heat sink from Heat Sinks USA would go over budget, so I'm going to copy this guy:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=189626

He used 1/8 " thick aluminum for the frame - I think I will go with 1/16 " thickness instead. Will be strong enough and should also help keep the weight down so the hood doesn't break the tank if it drops down quickly.

Plus I'm making a smaller frame, will hold only 6 or 8 LEDs vs the 12 he used. I don't know how I feel about using less LEDs, but it sounds like even six would be an improvement over my 18W PC lighting...

You going to copy the use of small heatsinks on the back right? :)

For sure, I'm probably only going to use four of these though, instead of placing one behind each LED. I've found better fans that I will be using that should help drastically reduce the heat.

• 6 months later...

Any updates on this? I saw you were looking at modeling your's after my build, I'm flattered! Mine is still running great. I had a a little hiccup yesterday. Looks like my LED's have dropped down and a couple have melted into the splashguard. Oh well. Guess I'll have to work on that now.

Any updates on this? I saw you were looking at modeling your's after my build, I'm flattered! Mine is still running great. I had a a little hiccup yesterday. Looks like my LED's have dropped down and a couple have melted into the splashguard. Oh well. Guess I'll have to work on that now.

Nothing new - I got overwhelmed with school, but should be getting things going again soon.

I might not do the LED setup as my aquarium budget has been reduced to make way for other hobbies. I want to see how the LED technology develops too. Could be a little early for me to jump in.

Archived