Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY AIO 10gl "Islander"

BlackSumbel

Warning: The progress of this DIY will be measured in geological time. It may be as much as a year before anything other than a few intermittent pounds of Live Rock are added to this thing. As such, all updates will be in Extend-o-play SUPASLOMO.

ONWARD!

Here is the design. I fought with Google Sketchup for about an hour trying to paint in the glass in all the right spots, and it still didn't work right. Imagine that the top "lid" also has a pane in it, kthnx.

supaslomo.jpg

Here's the basic idea: A 10gl standard tank, capped off by about 4" at both ends to create a roughly 12x10x12 display area (about 6.2 gallons) front and center. One end will be a slow-moving bio-filter area, the other will be a swift-current compartment for a powerhead (or two), ATO... etc. (Each being roughly 1.7gl)

The tank will more than likely be lit by one of Evil's lovely Par38 lights in a pendant fixture above the tank. The tank itself will be placed on a raised ledge (bracketed by booze) on the bar between my kitchen and living-room.

The "lid" will dissect from the "case" by pulling up and taking the tops of the end pieces with it, allowing access to the two end chambers, as well as the central display. The whole shebang will be done with dark cherry stain and a polycoat. There will probably be a decorative trim of some kind to conceal the separation seams.

All wiring will run inside of the case, out through one end (or the bottom) and into a cabinet to preserve a "clean" look, and I've decided on making the deviders glass.

The "Problems" and Questions

Because of the size and shape of the encasing "stand" I'm probably going to go rimless on this. Are there any cautionary tales I need to be aware of in the pursuit of rimless AGA?

Will SPS do well under the proposed lighting at about 14" from the light? (the top of the rockwork) Granted, I've never been HUGE on it, but I might want a monti of some kind in addition to softies.

What sorts of powerheads do you recommend for this setup?

Are there any problems I should anticipate with running the wiring internally through the case?

• 2 years later...

Archived