Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Seahorsejl's Not-So-Nano 75 Gallon Tank

seahorsejl

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay! my brother stole my pistol haha he took a large rock outta my 75 and when he put in his AP24 the pistol plopped in with a bunch of empty hermit shells <_< I guess he had plenty to eat, it never paired up up with my YWG which is why I got him...oh well lol

Pix prz :D

Yay! my brother stole my pistol haha he took a large rock outta my 75 and when he put in his AP24 the pistol plopped in with a bunch of empty hermit shells <_< I guess he had plenty to eat, it never paired up up with my YWG which is why I got him...oh well lol

Pix prz :D

I have never had luck getting the smaller red striped pistols to pair with YWG. I think they pair with the larger (more vicious) pistols.

Will try to get some pictures tonight. My tank lights don't come on till 10am, and I leave for work at 7am.

• 2 weeks later...
seahorsejl

Traded two of my baby toadstool leathers in this weekend and came home with this beautiful blasto:

IMG_1404.JPG

This little guy is a pig also. Fed some mysis and it swallowed a bunch up. Looking forward to seeing it grow.

Took a few more pictures while I was at it.

The LPS grotto:

IMG_1414.JPG

Some blue zoas:

IMG_1420.JPG

Mr. Scopas:

IMG_1439.JPG

Love my flame angel:

IMG_1460.JPG

Finally got a shot of my red thorny starfish:

IMG_1473.JPG

seahorsejl
that is a sick star fish

Thanks! I really like him. He does not move around to much when you are watching him, but if you look away for a bit he seems to zoom across the tank. :lol:

seahorsejl
Very cool to catch it in the act! :)

Yep. I didn't have time this morning to grab a picture, but the egg laying was completed, and there are 2 or 3 "waves" of eggs on the front glass.

Spring must really be in the air water, as this is the 3rd snail egg patch I have found, and my talbot damsel is still guarding it's clutch of eggs in the cave.

seahorsejl

Well, I thought my orange banded shrimp goby was a goner, but he made an appearance yesterday with the pistol shrimp yesterday while feeding the tank.

My GBTA has decided to make an appearance on the front of exile island. Maybe the clown will see it now :P

And the Talbot Damsels are at it again. I saw the male wooing the females back to his cave (where the first cluth of eggs are still growing).

Everything else is just growing. Will have to get some pictures when I get a bit more time.

seahorsejl

Cerith snails turn. They have been laying eggs all over the back wall and in the upper corners of the tank.

Very nice tank and I really like the open space concept! Plenty of room for the fish to swim in. It looks like your tank is doing very well! The damsels spawning, snails laying eggs and the pistol shrimp pairing up with the goby! Maybe you should call this the....

LOVE TANK!!!! :wub:

seahorsejl
It's Partay time in your tank lol omgomgomg:naughtydance:

I would say so! :)

thats sweet!!!

nice star!!!

Thanks!

Very nice tank and I really like the open space concept! Plenty of room for the fish to swim in. It looks like your tank is doing very well! The damsels spawning, snails laying eggs and the pistol shrimp pairing up with the goby! Maybe you should call this the....

LOVE TANK!!!! :wub:

Heh.. the Love Tank.... well, there will be no rock lobster going in there ;):P:lol:

We wanted some larger fish in the tank, so thus the reason for going with a more open concept. Plus I was moving the GSP invaded rock from my 24g over, and didn't want it taking over this entire tank, thus the creation of exile island. The GSP and anemone can battle it out there and not harm the other corals.

• 2 weeks later...
seahorsejl

Prepare for a flood of pictures....

Purchased some pink zoa's today. Unfortunately when I was taking pictures they still looked like this:

IMG_1732.JPG

Though by the end of the night, part of them started to open. Will try to grab some pictures tomorrow.

In the mean time, took some various pictures of the rest of the corals.

Blasto:

IMG_1720.JPG

Sun Coral:

IMG_1725.JPG

Some of my blues:

IMG_1728.JPG

Some of my reds:

IMG_1729.JPG

Peek-a-boo with the jawfish:

IMG_1733.JPG

The anemone moved to the front:

IMG_1741.JPG

Closeup of my big toadstool:

IMG_1742.JPG

Some different reds:

IMG_1746.JPG

Some more blues, never notices the flecks of green in the tentacles.

IMG_1747.JPG

More in next post.

Continued new pictures....

Shot of the greens. They are spreading fast, but they are hard to get a picture of.

IMG_1749.JPG

Lighter blues:

IMG_1752.JPG

Lots-o-blues:

IMG_1753.JPG

The candy canes:

IMG_1756.JPG

More candy canes:

IMG_1758.JPG

Orange brain:

IMG_1764.JPG

Cynaria (getting more green in it):

IMG_1766.JPG

Another shot of the blasto:

IMG_1768.JPG

Frogspawn:

IMG_1771.JPG

Tongue:

IMG_1773.JPG

And the final shots.

Part of the zoa collection:

IMG_1781.JPG

Left side:

IMG_1783.JPG

Right side:

IMG_1787.JPG

Full:

IMG_1788.JPG

Your tank is looking nice. I like the cove looking island on the left side. I believe I have that same type of toadstool, it was a hitchhiker on a piece of live rock, and is about an inch and a half right now (started as this weird brown dot about the size of a dime). it is cool to see its progress over the weeks and grow more polyps and thicken out.

seahorsejl

While not the best picture, I grabbed one this morning before my lights came on. My new pink zoas were starting to open:

IMG_1796.JPG

seahorsejl
Your tank is looking nice. I like the cove looking island on the left side. I believe I have that same type of toadstool, it was a hitchhiker on a piece of live rock, and is about an inch and a half right now (started as this weird brown dot about the size of a dime). it is cool to see its progress over the weeks and grow more polyps and thicken out.

Thanks! I have had that toadstool since 2006, when it was just the size of a quarter. I think it would take a nuclear bomb to kill that thing. I have traded in 4 or 5 frags of it to a LFS, and it keeps dropping more.

Yeah, I am finally starting to see the zoa growth I have been wanting. Soon those bright greens ones will make it to the front of the tank :)

They are very cool to watch, especially when you are able to visibly see the growth it has made everyday. do you does your tank?

seahorsejl
They are very cool to watch, especially when you are able to visibly see the growth it has made everyday. do you does your tank?

I am dosing Calcium, Magnesium, and Stronium.

On the feeding side, I was using reef roids for a while. Right now I am trying out some of the Brightwell Aquatics Zooplanktos products. I feed with these a few times a week along with frozen food for the fish and larger corals.

interesting. I currently am not dosing anything but have been researching it and am still undecided. i feed my brain frozen food when i feed my fish, but haven't been feeding the mushies or zoas anything. have you noticed a substantial difference?

seahorsejl
Great pictures! I love your sun coral :wub: and your new pink zoas!

Thanks! I really like that coral also, mostly due to the bright coloring. I must not feed it enough, as it doesn't seem to have grown a lot in the years I have had it.

I really hope the pink zoas take off like the greens. I am looking for a few more color variants (like yellow and orange).

interesting. I currently am not dosing anything but have been researching it and am still undecided. i feed my brain frozen food when i feed my fish, but haven't been feeding the mushies or zoas anything. have you noticed a substantial difference?

I just recently really started dosing. It is more for the LPS in the tank than anything. I think the biggest thing that got my zoas growing was lighting. When some of them (like those bright green ones) were under power compacts, they grew real slowly. Now that they are under metal halides, they are growing like wildfire.

Archived