Top Shelf Aquatics

TheStar's LED powered BC29

TheStar

Yeah 4 clowns = 2 will die. Not to burst your bubble or anything, but that was a really bad idea.

I would keep the blacks. You are going to have to make the choice or they will make it for you. They may be immature couples right now, but as soon as a male/female pair forms, the other 2 are done.

I had 4 clowns live in peace for a few years before I sold them off in my old 40.

If you add them at the same time, 4 of them should be fine. Two will usually revert to young males and one a full male with one a female. That's how they are in the wild.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a word of caution. Your Trachyphillia should be on the substrate. They are sensitive to alot of flow. I noticed you have moved that koralia around quite a bit. I had mine on the rocks just like that several years back, and after awhile the flow started to rip at the flesh. Other than that looks good. What do you feed yours? If you have acces to some selcon, soak some freeze dried krill in it and feed him with it. The colors and growth are amazing !

New pics with the camera this time (instead of the phone)....

Do these guys host Trachyphillia and/or Duncans? They spend an awful lot of time in/on them.

P2281685.jpg

P2281686.jpg

P2281688.jpg

P2281690.jpg

P2281694.jpg

P2281733.jpg

P2281746.jpg

P2281772.jpg

New additions...

P2281741.jpg

P2281742.jpg

P2281743.jpg

Just added the Eco Tech Vortech MP20 and its wonderful. I do regret waiting so long to buy it. Pics soon. In the meantime, another new addition.... GSP (with some ridge on the back of the live rock).

IMAGE_474.jpg

And the leather shedding...>Before

IMAGE_385.jpg

& After...

IMAGE_434.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I traded the orange clowns for a flame angel and a dottyback. Both were eaten by something in the tank. The lobster seems to be the culprit so he is gone too...

New pics...

IMAGE_878.jpg

IMAGE_867.jpg

IMAGE_828.jpg

IMAGE_837.jpg

IMAGE_861.jpg

IMAGE_876.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

New pics...Can't quite get a FTS without a flash in then middle or a reflection from the windows behind me.

Anyway...

P1080729.jpg

P1080669.jpg

P1080666.jpg

P1080732.jpg

The sponge seems to be growing...

P1080710.jpg

P1080711.jpg

P1080715.jpg

P1080704.jpg

P1080707.jpg

Random shots...

P1080721.jpg

P1080729.jpg

P1080653.jpg

P1080653.jpg

P1080660.jpg

P1080680.jpg

P1080683.jpg

P1080686.jpg

P1080687.jpg

P1080688.jpg

Check out the stem coming off of this mushroom in between the two zoa's....

P1080695.jpg

P1080696.jpg

P1080699.jpg

omg purple lobster? Get it out.. those things are horrible and NOT fish or invert safe.

Well, I traded the orange clowns for a flame angel and a dottyback. Both were eaten by something in the tank. The lobster seems to be the culprit so he is gone too...

Pay attention.

Pay attention.

I try but I can only do so for about 30 seconds at a time. Incidentally, the lobster was later proven innocent.

Earlier you mentioned the two button polyps and if they were Zoa's or Aiptasia's. They are def Zoa's :)

The other green algae you were questioning a few posts back looked like Chaeto to me.

Just my $.02 :)

Nice tank !!

Earlier you mentioned the two button polyps and if they were Zoa's or Aiptasia's. They are def Zoa's :)

The other green algae you were questioning a few posts back looked like Chaeto to me.

Just my $.02 :)

Nice tank !!

Cool, thanks you for the input. Its funny how there are a few of them that stick out and look completely different than the rest of them.

The green algae (and the red stuff) is gone now. They were eaten by some of the in-tank critters but I do get a bit of what seems to be chaeto floating around every now and then....Hmmm, interesting.

Cool, thanks you for the input. Its funny how there are a few of them that stick out and look completely different than the rest of them.

The green algae (and the red stuff) is gone now. They were eaten by some of the in-tank critters but I do get a bit of what seems to be chaeto floating around every now and then....Hmmm, interesting.

This is what I'm talking about:

IMAGE_520.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is a Zoa...

I have no idea what that thing is in the middle of your Zoa colony...weird.

How do you keep your tank so clean? What kind of additives are you using if any? Also how often do you do water changes and do you use anything with your top off like kalkwasser?

This is what I'm talking about:

IMAGE_520.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is a Zoa...

I have no idea what that thing is in the middle of your Zoa colony...weird.

How do you keep your tank so clean? What kind of additives are you using if any? Also how often do you do water changes and do you use anything with your top off like kalkwasser?

Thank you! I love the way it looks when it is clean like that.

Typically I do a water change (following Stevie T's method) every Saturday morning. I change between 5 and 8 gallons. Before doing this I scrape the interior glass and naturally clean out the filters, etc.

My testing showed the calcium/Kalk are low after about a day. I now dose 5 ml (a capful) of Reef Code A (calcium) and Reef Code B (Kalk) every other day. I also do a drop Iodide every Wednesday.

I have not used any conditioners or anything like that. I used phyto-feast and phyto-roti but was not a fan...maybe just paranoid of causing an algae outbreak.

I also recently starting using filter floss between chamber 1 and 2. I have a sponge in Chamber 1. Another sponge in Chambe 2 where the water flows into. I put the filter floss right ontop of that. It seems to get pretty nasty after just a day or two so I keep switching it out.

Lets see some pics of your setup...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any idea of what could be growing out of the ridge? If you look closely on the Brown Ridge in the center of the pictures you can see them. They almost look like Xenia but seem to disappear into the Ridge.

IMAGE_029.jpg

IMAGE_030.jpg

IMAGE_031.jpg

Love your tank! You must have great LFS near...

Thank you! We do actually have a couple of really nice places. Jay's Aquatics in Salem, NH has great prices and a really nice selection.

Anyone have any idea of what could be growing out of the ridge? If you look closely on the Brown Ridge in the center of the pictures you can see them. They almost look like Xenia but seem to disappear into the Ridge.

That is your GSP mat growing! The polyps are starting to form and develope out of the brown ridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived