Pod Your Reef

The Chedder Pimp'ers 29 Gallon tank...

pimp4cheddar

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Moose...

I've been looking into the BH-100F...since it has the powerhead inside of the skimmer itself. Helps prevent overheating and also keeps less parts in my tank...

I was just hoping to go skimmer/filter less...I haven't really had too many people comment on that except for JVzer0

Well...Turns out the skimmer was extremely ugly...and drove me crazy. It took up half my back glass with the powerhead, suction cups, foam tube, etc...

I'm actually returning it today...

Would I be able to run my tank with just a powerhead and NO FILTER/SKIMMER?

Well as some one else said in the thread the bacteria on your liverock is what does the majority of filtering in your tank, that and the sand bed. And a good rule of thumb is about a pound or so of live rock per gallon of water, which im sure you have heard before. I have heard of people keeping tanks with out skimmers or filters but its very important to have lots of water flow, some people say 20 to 40 times the capacity of the tank. I have a 5 gallon with a ac50 which puts out 200gph, and a power head that puts out 58gph. You can probably find someone on here that isnt running any filter or skimmer. the most important thing i would say is keeping your bioload down and add livestock slowly so your tank can adjust. I had a 45gallon FOWLR for about 2 years, but i ran a skimmer. Anyway the tank looks great so far, and a black background makes the hardware a little less noticable

thanks folks...

well I moved some of the rockwork around...and I'm still not too happy with the way it looks. I think I need about 15lbs more rock...to raise it a little higher.

in addition to that...I'm going to buy a Hydor #2. So my total gph will be around 1,000 which is about 34.1x turnover. I figure this along with the live rock will be my only filtration...so far, I've set my mind to not buying a skimmer or filter.

Any thoughts?

Pics for clicks: let me know what you think about the rockwork...i'm not to happy with it...

DSCF1191.jpg

DSCF1190.jpg

DSCF1189.jpg

If I were you I would throw a tunze 9002 in that tank. It's really small, quiet, and skims pretty well. Not to mention that it doesn't look all that bad in the tank either. I had one for sale in the classifieds but someone already snatched it up.

Alrighty folks...

I went and spent some money!!! I brought another 12lbs of Live Rock, black sheet for the back glass and also a skimmer. I brought the RemoraC with the MaxiJet 1200 and surface skimmer. It's pretty streamline...except for the surface skimmer...it takes up a decent amount of room in the tank.

I will take some pics tomorrow...my tank seems pretty stacked!

Finally snapped a few pics...

Left side:

DSCF1201.jpg

Right side:

DSCF1199.jpg

FTS:

DSCF1192.jpg

Close up of the scaping:

DSCF1198.jpg

As you can see...the overflow box takes up a decent chunk of my back glass....

Here's the skimmer:

DSCF1202.jpg

Any thoughts on how high the collection cup should sit?

Thoughts on the rockwork...?

Thanks,

Thanks dude...I'm looking to pickup my first mushroom coral sometime this week...

I figured it'll look much better when I start adding a few fish and corals.

Thanks folks...

Hey mini...funny story. I went to LFS that is the KING OF CORALS in town and was looking around today.

I saw a small clown fish that looks like the one in your sig...so I feel in love with the pattern of the spots. Sure enough, I got happy and said I'll take the fish. So as the guy is trying to catch the fish, I decide to ask how much they want for the fish...(i'm thinking around $20). The guys says about $130! I was like ok...on second thought...i'll pick him up next time.

HOLY SH1T!!! That's way too much for a clown fish...but the guy explained why they are so much money and the type of clown it was...then he pointed to the Black Tang and told me they wanted $1,300 for it...I then said thank you for your time and walked away....

Picassos .... it's that darn jigsaw thing they've got going on lol ;) Got my pair in my 29...just like yours. It's a nice size tank for a couple of clowns :D (sorry..gonna get you in trouble)

update on the skimmer...

Well just 3 days in and it's producing a nice amount of foam/green liquid in the collection cup.

It was actually producing some skim lastnight...

I'm super excited and will post pics.

Hi cheddar, I'm liking the tank so far, sorry to hear that you ran into so many problems too. And I feel sorry for the little crab you flushed, he was just doing his job :(

I didn't see a lot of comments about running filterless, but those that did comment were right that it's doable and the rock is your main filter. I would stress that you would need to keep up on your water changes though, if you get lazy in that you're asking for trouble. The skimmer will help a lot though.

Best of luck, say hi to your firefish for me :D

• 1 month later...
pimp4cheddar
Hi cheddar, I'm liking the tank so far, sorry to hear that you ran into so many problems too. And I feel sorry for the little crab you flushed, he was just doing his job :(

I didn't see a lot of comments about running filterless, but those that did comment were right that it's doable and the rock is your main filter. I would stress that you would need to keep up on your water changes though, if you get lazy in that you're asking for trouble. The skimmer will help a lot though.

Best of luck, say hi to your firefish for me :D

Thanks for the kind words Drakkor...

I figured it's been awhile since I've posted here...

Well...I redid my rockwork and brought a few frags:

Xenia, few zoas (nice orange/pink one, armor of god, brown and red one), frogspawn...

I also brought a new clown fish...my firefish looked lonely.

Here's a video I just shot...

I'll post more pics of the corals when I learn how to take decent pics (sometime tomorrow).

Thanks,

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w81/pim...nt=DSCF1213.flv

• 2 weeks later...

I really think you should put up that black paper you bought on the back of the tank - your tank will look (and you'll feel) much better hiding all the cords, the aquac, and the surface skimmer will seem to blend away against the backdrop . It will also help contrast your rock work and fish better...

Your rock work looks great, just make sure its steady. The last thing you need is a hermit or fish to nudge it the wrong way and have it tumble and crack your glass...

I would also add an additional powerhead on the other end of the tank to create a more turbulent flow inside your tank.

Otherwise, it looks like a great start to me!!

• 3 months later...

The growing pains you experienced early on make for a good learning experience, even though they tend to put a nice dent in the wallet. The tank is really coming along nicely.

As the others mentioned, you don't really need a filter or protein skimmer since you have live rock & sand, but they will definitely help to keep your water crystal clear. There's nothing worse than a gorgeous tank with cloudy water.

I like the new lights, but one thing I should mention is that firefish are renowned jumpers, so you may want to consider adding a sheet of glass or clear acrylic to prevent any jumping mishaps.

Don't worry about your clown sticking to that corner. He will venture out more in time as he becomes more comfortable. On the plus side, at least it's a front corner that he's hiding in so at least you can still see him.

Keep the updates and pics coming!

Kevin.

pimp4cheddar
The growing pains you experienced early on make for a good learning experience, even though they tend to put a nice dent in the wallet. The tank is really coming along nicely.

As the others mentioned, you don't really need a filter or protein skimmer since you have live rock & sand, but they will definitely help to keep your water crystal clear. There's nothing worse than a gorgeous tank with cloudy water.

I like the new lights, but one thing I should mention is that firefish are renowned jumpers, so you may want to consider adding a sheet of glass or clear acrylic to prevent any jumping mishaps.

Don't worry about your clown sticking to that corner. He will venture out more in time as he becomes more comfortable. On the plus side, at least it's a front corner that he's hiding in so at least you can still see him.

Keep the updates and pics coming!

Kevin.

Thanks man.

The tank has been updated since I last posted on this thread ( I know shame on me).

I'll update some pics later today when I get home...I'm at work right now.

But I brought a Remora skimmer and the rockword was redone. As for the Firefish...he's only jumped out once...and it's cause I brought a wrasee and he started to invade the firefish's home...next thing you know he scared him to bad this guy jumped about 2 feet above the tank and started rolling around the floor.

I had to take the damn wrasse back cause this firefish is such a panzy...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived