Top Shelf Aquatics

New tree

donk

sinularia, right? my lfs has a couple right now. maybe there was a big collection batch recently in the wild. : i've been wanting one for a couple of years too. but thing is my new tank is still settling and my display tank has just taken in a number of additions (new and transfers). oh well, i hope they last or maybe i can convince them to hold them. (hmmm)

it should be a natural yellow. they do come in those colors. yellow anemones are notorious for being colored tho. your specimen looks great! fluorescing a little sheen of green, right? B)

Tiny,

The LFS told me it was called a Nephthea Tree coral and they grew it there, but I just looked it up @ Liveaquaria and it says that nephthea are tan or brown. So I Really dont know?

to tell if it is dyed rub the base of the coral with your finger and see if the coloration gets on your hands...rub somewhat hard but be careful not to damage the coral itself. it looks dyed to me but ive only worked in my lfs for 3 years....just rub the base and you will find out

Hey donk -

You might try checking with Eric over at RC (coral forum). I believe he had an article published last month over there on dyed corals.

-Ed

Hard to tell from the photo, but it could be a Nepthea, which can be bright yellow. Don't me surprised if it slowly fades because the food quality in captivity isn't the same as it's natural diet. If it is a Nepthea I hope you are prepared to feed it and realize they are among the most toxic corals and may impede the growth and/or expansion of some of your other corals especially and stonies.

Ive read that some soft corals have the ability to do a sort of 'chemical warfare' and release toxins in the water that can affect some LPS corals.

To quote Eric Borneman directly, "Many soft corals have been shown to release toxic compounds that can kill or stunt nearby stony corals" This is from his book Aquarium Corals.

How much real actinic lighting u have on the tank ? My nephthea tree is a neon green color under full actinic lighting only but when the daylights are on it becomes a light green. By neon green, i mean really neon green, like the color of this guy --> :x But I know mine isn't dyed.

• 1 month later...

That looks alot like the bright green sinularia that Korbin gave me. I've had it for about a month and a half now and it's gotten huge! It's really cool looking, but it's kinda casting a shadow over some of my other corals.

I feel like I need to trim it or something, but I'm afraid to because it's all meaty and what'not. I'm afraid that it'll just deflate or something. I don't want to murder it. Anyone know if you can do this?

....or you can take it for your new 29g if you want, Korbin.

Archived