SaltCritters.com

mushroom coral propagation

vanessa

if I want to get my mushroom corals to multiply all I have to do is cut off the top of the mushroom and then proceed to cut the top into several pieces like a pizza pie? What do I do with the pieces after I cut them? Let them float around in the tank? Attach them to something and how do I attach them? Thanks for any info. Vanessa:)

Vanessa,

Your cutting technique is right on (although believe me, it's not as easy as it sounds). I'd shoot for about four pieces max, if you've never done it before.

After you've made your cuts, you need to find small pieces of rock to attach them to. You can either tie them on with string, or use bridal veil to wrap the rock/shroom. After 7-10 days, the shrooms should be attached.

Good luck....

Damn, I can't find my "shroom box" cuz I was gonna put a pic of it up to ease in the explanation (must sort and gather all tank stuff ASAP...lol)

Okay, ever see those little acrylic boxes at places like The Containor Store..? Usually for storing trinkets and makeup stuff or whatever... find a small square relatively low profile box. Drill a whole bunch of little holes in lid and upper sides of box. Place small pieces of rubble or bigger chunks of substrate in box, slice and dice said shrooms and place in box with rubble, snap on lid and place on bottom of tank.... they still get the light and they can't blow away... pieces should all be attached as said in a few days.

Archived