Coral Vue Hydros

HOB Maxijet Closed Loop

DIYDude

Its basically 2 mj1200s running externally that use 2 u tube returns back into the tank. I drilled holes in 3/4 pvc for the intake and to prevent any large objects from being sucked in. Neither of the powerheads gets hot at all, they stay rather cool and its totally silent once all the microbubbles work their way out. The only downside is restarting the siphon but its not that hard, i just use a smaller powerhead in the intake to restart siphon. Enjoy!

Cool Idea! I was jsut thinking is there a way you could just use one 1" intake pipe and split it to feed both, then you would have one less thing in the tank.

Jerome

It took so long for this to post as a thread i didnt think it went through. He's the rest of the pics. As far as a power outage goes it doesnt really effect the siphon since water stays in the pvc.

$16 each for the mj1200's, around 10$ for the acrylic and 6$ for each u tube return from marinedepot. The pvc is relatively cheap , maybe $5 or 6$ for the pvc and barb fittings.

wannabeafarmer

Let me just make sure I understand...as I really like this.

Yours is only for circulation, correct? Not surge.

The MJ are not submerged.

Do you think something like this would work with one maxijet, and a SCWD, as a sort of simple wavemaker?

Thanks again!

Ive had questions about these on a wavemaker and really i dont know. I suppose it could work but i cant say yes or now until i (or someone else tests it). Yes its just for circulation and no the maxijets are not submerged.

Originally posted by DIYDude

. . . and now the maxijets are not submerged.  . . .

do they leak water at all? I assume so since you built that bucket thing around them, do you think you will need to ocasionally empty that?

dang, very sharp. very good idea for a 10g tank. also don't have to worry about those dang suction cups.

also just to make absolutely sure. needs a little help to start the sipon to get air out? when power out, siphon doesn't break, so pump easily starts up when power restored?

spitfire, typeO, they were never submerged. The new maxijets come with an o ring around the impeller housing so they dont leak at all.

Good job jmt, i like your setup.

Etoh , ya it starts up just fine.

If you don't plan on using those powerheads for anything else in the future such as a wave timer, you could wire them onto a single cord, and it would be nice and organized.

*UPDATE*

I finally got rid of the micros and i wanted to update anyone that is doing this diy. In the beginning i was using all 3/4" pvc and i think that was the problem with the micros. The problem was i used a 3/4" to 1/2" barb right before the powerhead with flexible tubing. After reading about the flow rate on the mj and of 3/4" tubing i switch and went with a 1/2" to 1/2" barb connector to compress the water and remove the micros. It worked like a charm and no micros to speak of. Hope that helps anyone trying this.

Archived