ReefCleaners.org

2.5g at 5 and a half months

sdnesmith

Just a pic of my 2.5g AGA at around 5 1/2 months old. I've got it pretty much stocked up I think. I added a little yellow goby last weekend for some movement.

Shawn

Thanks guys.

Currently, I have 2 13w 50/50's, but I'm sitting here looking at a 70w ballast, a 70w 20K HQI w/socket, and a bunch of project wood from Lowes trying to get up the energy to build a new hood. zzz

I'm also planning to add an auto topoff as I'm tired of filling it up every night.

Shawn

Here's some specs:

Tank:

2.5g AGA

6 lbs Fiji LR

5 lbs LS

AC300 fuge/mini impeller w/13w pc desklamp from Lowes

(fuge has 1lb LS and some LR rubble)

2x13w 50/50 PC's from AHSupply in DIY canopy w/60mm

Stealth fan

Corals:

Toadstool leather

Cabbage leather

Green star polyps

Brown star polyps

Kenya tree coral

Waving hand anthelia

Clove polyps

Green ricordia

Yellow polyps

3 small zoo colonies

3 palythoa colonies

Critters:

Scarlet hermit

Blue legged hermit

2 astrea snails

Cerith snail (somewhere)

2 unknown snails

Yellow goby

Maintenance:

8 oz topoff daily

0.5 gal water change weekly using Oceanic salt

Mardel test strips weekly

Seatest kits if problem, otherwise bimonthly

Trim chaeto in fuge biweekly

I have two actinic 03 bulbs I was considering adding to the new canopy as I had bid on a 10K 70W on ebay. When the bulb arrived they had sent a 20K by mistake, so I might not use the actinics after all. I'm also planning to add a few moonlights to the new canopy which will have 6" clearance for the lights vs the current one with 3.5" clearance.

BHP: It's a homemade 8" dobsonian telescope

Shawn

Cesar: I'm sure if I ask my wife, she can give me an exact number. ;) . All of the corals but two I bought as $5 frags from City Pets in Houston so I'd say $92 for corals.

All total I'll say around $300, including my new 70w stuff.

Shawn

chrisisthereefer

i dont think you need the 70 watt hallide ont he 2.5 since its all softies anyways, id use the 70 watt hallide and setup a 7 gal mini bow.

Ann: Yellow goby is very amusing so far. He's very grumpy and seems to get upset if a hermit gets too close. It likes Cylop-Eeze, which I try to feed weekly. In the meantime he hunts down pods.

Chris: I thought about a 5.5 gallon tank to upgrade, but the 70w 20K was really not as bright as I expected. 6" above the water is not really brighter than what I have now, but it has the cool ripply effect missing from PC's. I can get some SPS frags for about $10 from the same store, plus I'm considering a very small clam as well.

Shawn

tvu: Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a fairly easy way to get the suckers out. They looked cool at first, but they keep messing with my zoos.

Shawn

Thanks! So you feed it once per week? Hmm, I'm definitely going to need to restrain my feeding hand in my new nano then as I feed the fish in my big tank 5 times per day. :D

Best regards

Ann

Ann: I was feeding the tank weekly before I added him, so I haven't changed my routine yet. The goby grabs any unsuspecting pods if they get too close, so I will probably increase the feeding a little so he doesn't clean out the tank too much. He loves the Cyclop-Eeze and chased it around for about half an hour the other night. He's only about an inch long, so I don't think he needs much, though.

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...

I got a few more zoos for my tank and thought I would post an updated pic. Thanks for all the replies. You can see my goby peeking out on the right.

Shawn

Thanks all. Right now I just have 2 13w 50/50 bulbs on it.

I'm having trouble with my topoff as the glass jar I got from WalMart has a metal lid that is not sealing off good. I ordered a gallon HDPE jar from US Plastics with the hopes that this may solve the problem. I have a Profile 1000 air pump on it which worked fine for the first couple of days, but now it acts like it can't pump the water up. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Shawn

Archived