Pod Your Reef

Stupid question inside!

rocko918

When everyone is talking about frags, they are talking about pieces of coral right?

Also when someone say they fraged a coral. dose that mean they took part of it and got it on another rock?

one more thing when they are talking about frags are they talking about all corals? soft, hard etc?

Thanks

Cellenzweig

Hey Rocko

You are correct. A "frag" is a fragment or cutting of a coral. "Fragging" means to cut a piece off, but not necessarily mount it. Some frags are on rocks, some are unattached. Depending on the type of coral, there are different methods of reattaching- glue, netting, elastics...

Many corals can be fragged, but not all. Most softies and some LPS and SPS can be fragged. Some coral are very difficult (or even impossible) to frag (ie, bubble coral, goniopora).

Yes

It means they cut a pice off the mother colony., so basically what you said.

Yes

There's no such things as a dumb question. :D

Great!!! Thanks for the explanations.

OK so, I have a nice piece of zoos that are growing all over this one rock. I would like to get some on another rock to give to my dad. What is the best way to do that? I was thinking of putting a small rock up against it hoping it would grow on it. Is there a safe way to get them off or do you normally break the rock?

Thanks Again!!!

Your idea will work and is used by many people, but it's slower than just breaking the rock. Depends on how long you want to wait. :)

When breaking the rock, I would be concerned with hurting or killing the corals. What would one use to break the rock? Hammer and screwdriver?

Thanks for the help

fade2black

I use a hammer and screwdriver. break the rock and then use a razorblade to cut the tissue between the polyps. The coral will be fine.

Archived