Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My new 7G Mini-Bow

Occult

Hi guys,

After purchasing my mini-bow over a year ago, I've been meaning to turn it into a nano-reef for the longest time. As of 2 days ago, I finally did. This is my first attempt at a saltwater tank, after numerous years of keeping freshwater.

My equipment is:

7 Gal Mini-Bow (Kinda obvious)

2x40 Watt Current Orbit

AC500 modded for refug (with a 13 watt lighting)

A minijet 404

10 lbs of live rock

10 lbs of live sand

My water params are:

Temp: 80.8 F

PH: 7.87

s.g.: 1.029 (Never using a hdyrometer again)

Ammonia: 0.5 ppm

Nitrite: 2 ppm

Alk: 13 dkh

Calcium: 430 ppm

So right now my biggest issue is trying to get my salinity down. I already did a 10% water change, but I don't know what else I can do.

Also I wouldn't mind any comments on my aquascape.

harbingerofthefish

as far as salintiy, add fresh water...thin out whats in the tank. Then make up a few batches of SW and test to see the SG of it.

as far as aqua scaping...i have a 7 bow and I need more rock. Sure your going to add more when you get corals etal...but you might want to go ahead and ad more now just so that it will cycle witht the rest.

of course, ignore that if you want more of a look that you currently have.

Thanks for the warm welcome,

I added freshwater as you recommeded, and now my s.g. is at 1.026, so all is good for now. It concerns me that my ph is a bit low. I heard it was normal for it to drop during cycling, can anyone confirm that?

I kinda like the open look of my nano, and honestly given my budget I don't think I could afford to put in more. I'm also glad that there's almost no smell, that kind of worried me.

harbingerofthefish

Not a clue on the pH thing. sorry.

I can feel your pain on the funds issue. Except for the rock I initially started out with, I haven't added any large pieces since. Kinda pricey locally and ordering a bunch doesn't work if I only need a few peices. I did find a coupon in the paper for one of my LFS. But 1# get 1 free. Yee Haw! well kinda. Thier price is $8 a pound. But now it's $4 a pound, so I need to run up there and get some before some one grabs it all.

Yeah I agree I had the same problem...Refactometers are way better....Your aqua scaping in looking great....

Off to a great start....

With your salinty you can bring it down with making small very small water changes with RO water and keep checking the SG levels it until it reaches the point that you want it...

I wouldn't worry to much about doing it gradually since there is no live stock in your tank...But, its always good to practice the safe way....

Good luck...

Yeah I love my new refractometer. I believe I already mentioned that I brought the s.g. down to 1.026, so I believe I'm good there.

My PH is climbing up now, and is at 7.96, my ammonia is barely noticeable but my nitrites are off the chart. I'm starting to see white specks floating around in the water, and some brown stuff form on the sides of the glass (diatom?). I haven't seen any signs of life, which worries me a bit, but I'm attributing that to the cycling.

Anyway thanks for the advice.

No problem...Just sit back and let the cycle begin. I wouldn't worry about testing your water conditions for about atleast a week and half. I would go ahead and watch the SG level though... I like running it at 1.024 so it has room if there is a mishaps. goes up or down.... And my corals seem to like it...

It sounds like you have everything under control...Good Job... Don't worry about the life coming out in your rocks....You might see some you might not....I don't notice too much of anything comming out of my LR....excecpt for the occasional hitchhickers....

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another one, not quite sure what it is, but I got a feeling it's a xenia. Of course my newbiness causes me to be wrong sometimes.

And here's a shot of them both, haven't decided where to place them yet. I know it might seem like nothing special to you guys, but I can't help but get excited. Now all I have to do is improve on my photography skills :)

Yeah I found out it was Capnella, boy do I feel silly.

Hoboken, I live in Brooklyn actually, out by the bay.

Archived