Pod Your Reef

Will a freshwater dip kill flatworms?

Reefgeek

I have a nice little rock with zoos and an orange ric in my 2.5 I want to trasnfer to my new 33 cube, but the little tank has flatworms. I've tried treating it with flatwormexit but they come back after a week. Will a freshwater dip kill the flatworms and how is it best done? How long should I dip the rock for? Also should I put a few drops of FWE in the freshwater? Thanks guys!

I don't know about the FWE, but the FW dip should cause the flatworms to exit the frag.

You should be able to dip them for at least three minutes with no damage. You may be able to go as many as 5, but I will leave it to someone more experienced than me to comment on longer FW dips.

Flatworms can't stand freshwater and should die in FW within seconds. So a three minute freshwater dip would definitely do the trick.

I've been moving all my stuff to a different tank, the original tank is infested with red flatworms, 3 seconds in FW seems to make them let go and die, I left each piece of coral in for 2-3 minutes though just to make sure. No sign of them in the new tank yet.

what will eat the eggs then, in any case?

Maybe cleaner shrimp.

You could always do a potassium permanganate dip. That would certainly kill any eggs.

RayWhisperer

I don't know what will eat the eggs, but wrasses do a fine job of eating flatworms. Velvet nudis too, from what I've heard.

Fishfreak218

i forgot bout some of my zoanthids in a FW dip for 10 min. and they were fine.. its the ric i would be worried about

I was told that corallimorpharians don't handle FW dips too well. They can't take the big change like zoas can and would most likely die.

I did 60 second FW dips to rid myslef of the flatworms but then eventually came back(or maybe were reintroduced?) in a couple months.

I'm getting me a six-line. I'm so sick of these damn things, and with as many sps as I have now I can't hope to dip the flatworms away anymore...

DementedLullaby

I had a nightmare last night my nano was infested with red flatworms because of you bastards

Seriously XD

I had a nightmare last night my nano was infested with red flatworms because of you bastards

Seriously XD

what happened

I'm going to purchase the Flatworm Exit med today. How soon do you do a water change after treating? I was viewing the instructions online and it doesn't give information on how long you have to wait until you do a water change. Melevs web site (http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html) seems to suggest that after dosing 2x within 1 hour and 20 minutes, he did a water change? Is this correct?

Thanks for any help!!

I'm going to purchase the Flatworm Exit med today. How soon do you do a water change after treating? I was viewing the instructions online and it doesn't give information on how long you have to wait until you do a water change. Melevs web site (http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html) seems to suggest that after dosing 2x within 1 hour and 20 minutes, he did a water change? Is this correct?

Thanks for any help!!

I tryed some exit just last month...only did one treatment but I was not impressed cause I didnt have that many and where only on 2 shrooms. After Initial dose and 30 minutes I noticed no deaths just them mad as hell and flying around on the shrooms...Dosed again as directions read still didnt see any floating off dead so I let the tank go for 5 hours...then I did a water change. I did notice some flatworms in the PS after a couple more hours of running and water change done.

I needed to repair some bad scratchs on the inside bottom of acrylic...so last weekend I broke the tank all the way down...removed the 2 base rocks that had the shrooms with flatworms...poured about 2 quarts of ro/di on each shroom including blasting with baster...No more worms at this point a week later

Izzue

Archived