Pod Your Reef

Look what popped up!

matth6761

Islandoftiki

It's a cool macro algae, I can't remember the name of it right now though. Someone else will know probably.

Its called neomersis its a calcerous macroalgae. Harmless unless it starts to take over your tank...

Awesome, thanks!

Someone else just posted asking about it. I've seen it at my LFS for the last couple months, and man, I dont think its grown at all!

kill it with fire!!!! Some people they stay constant some die, the unlucky few they overtake everything. My brother has been fighting these for several years. he removes about 5lbs of this weed every month and within a week or so they are back choking out his corals. I would be cautious and remove them, unless you are not supplementing calcium.

I have one that just started growing about a month ago out of the blue. It's on the very first piece of LR I put in my tank over 18 months ago. Odd thing is, I haven't added anything to my tank in a few months. Must've been dormant for awhile. Pretty cool looking screw thread pattern on the green bristles.

I have one that just started growing about a month ago out of the blue. It's on the very first piece of LR I put in my tank over 18 months ago. Odd thing is, I haven't added anything to my tank in a few months. Must've been dormant for awhile. Pretty cool looking screw thread pattern on the green bristles.

Exact same thing here. Did you change your lighting recently?

I changed from a Ushio 20000k DE to a XM 20000k bulb in December. Slight variance in spectrum.

Interesting! Mine didn't start growing until I added a KZ fiji purple bulb to my T5 fixture. I wonder if the different lighting spectrum spurred its growth.

Archived