Cultivated Reef

New hydor slim skim 135.35(nano)

Bob the nano

Bob the nano

Hey all I don't post to much but I thought I'd share some pics of my new slim skim nano. It's been in the tank for about 24 hours. So far it hasn't pulled anything out of the water yet but it's still breaking in. Its super quiet and has already stopped releasing micro bubbles in the tank. So far so good. BTW this skimmer was to big to fit in the rear chambers of my 24g nano so I decided it would go in the display. Unfortunately it takes up a SH$T ton of space and it may not be something that many will be willing to try. I want to start keeping some of the more difficult sps corals so I wanted a good skimmer to help keep the water nice and clean.... ;) I plan on hiding the skimmer more with the incoming corals I will be getting soon.

Here's the pics....

5496535958_e137734191.jpg

5495946149_aa12a42aae.jpg

5496536608_f9dd57e57c.jpg

5496537116_0574b92107.jpg

5495947171_091e28d3ac.jpg

5496537750_c81f9ebcb2.jpg

5496537992_35e1a7663e.jpg

I plan on posting a vid soon so you can see how quiet it really is!

I like how it doesn't stick out of the top of the tank too much. Does anyone know how it compares to the AquaticLife 115 performancewise? It looks like the AquaticLife skimmer, even though smaller overall, would stick out of the top more. Big difference in price, I'm just wondering if the Hydor Slimskim Nano is worth it?

Bob the nano

I think the Aquaticlife skimmer cup may actually be out of the water a little higher than the slim skim but if you look at the demsions of both the hydor is actually only really 2 inches higher. In the hydor manual it says to install the skimmer so that the water level is in the middle of the intake grill. I think I can still lower the skimmer more if I wanted to. I was watching this vid on reefbuilders and they have it installed right down to the top of the skimmer.

Reefbuilders link to slim skim vid

I had a chance to check out the perfomance of the aquatic life skimmer and was really impressed with what it was pulling out of the tank of a local reef club member. I don't know how good the Hydor is compared to it yet but I plan on documenting it in this thread.

Great info. Thanks.

My tank is only 11.4" deep without sand in it so I'm wondering if the Slimskim Nano would work? My sand bed will be about 1" deep.

Bob the nano
Great info. Thanks.

My tank is only 11.4" deep without sand in it so I'm wondering if the Slimskim Nano would work? My sand bed will be about 1" deep.

I was trolling the reefcentral forums the other day and the dude from premium aquatics says it needs be a min of 10" in the water! I think that would be a tight fit. there also the turboflotor blue 500 skimmer that only needs to be in 6 inches.

Turboflotor blue hands on

I have been testing this skimmer out for two weeks now. So far so good.

• It has a very small collection cup so don't go on vacation too long without shutting it off, having a babysitter or adjusting for smaller amounts of skimmate.
  • It is louder than the Tunze 9002 but still very quiet
  • The magnetic mounts should have been on two sides not just one for proper fit in certain AIOs

Not bad for the price.

Also the box it comes in is HUGE and super secure which was a shock knowing how hydor packages their other products.

• 5 months later...

Archived