Cultivated Reef

Tube like, polyps, feather, brown, spreading

NoChikenStrips

NoChikenStrips

Recently noticed these things spreading. They are 1/2 inch long tubes with 1 polyp/feather per tube that would retract into the base of the tubes or live rock when aggrivated. Polyps/feathers glow under actinics. I've removed 2 small colonies(thumb nail sized) and left this one alone. The tubes feel like roots and where not as easy to remove as i thought i'd be.

Does anyone one have a clue what this is? Maybe in the tubeworm family?

P1012999.jpg

Yep! They're just a harmless feather duster colony (That doesn't usually get to much bigger than what we see in the picture). There is no need to pull them out! They won't harm anything, barely take up any space, and aren't like ugly and super noticeable. I'd just leave em.

Recently noticed these things spreading. They are 1/2 inch long tubes with 1 polyp/feather per tube that would retract into the base of the tubes or live rock when aggrivated. Polyps/feathers glow under actinics. I've removed 2 small colonies(thumb nail sized) and left this one alone. The tubes feel like roots and where not as easy to remove as i thought i'd be.

Does anyone one have a clue what this is? Maybe in the tubeworm family?

P1012999.jpg

[/quot

Looks like feather dusters looks cool

They are colonial hydroids. The easiest way to distinguish them from feather duster worms is to see if the tubes are very flexible (most feather dusters have calcified tubes). Notice also that they have tentacles, not branched "feathers". Glowing (fluorescence, in this case) is also a feature for some colonial hydroids.

NoChikenStrips

Thanks everyone for the fast respond. I knew they couldn't be feather dusters. Now that i know what they are, time to rid them. Some will say leave them as they will not harm or bother anything. I think prevention is better then having to deal with them in the future incase they become invasive.

• 2 months later...

I have a bunch of these things in my tank and they have been spreading fast. Is there any way to get rid of them? I have tried picking them out and even scrubbing them with no luck.

lakshwadeep

You could try aiptasia removal methods like different chemicals or, more drastic, using a flame/torch to burn them.

Archived