SaltCritters.com

Hanna Alkalinity Checker - Review

StevieT

hannalogo.jpgchecker.jpg

Hanna has really invested a lot into the aquarium market recently and it is showing with good results.

These new little checker units grab the eye, but do they work?

This is a review on the Alkalinity Checker and it has been done in depth on other forums. So much so that Hanna changed it's testing reagent as a result. They found that the powder (alk only) was not accurate enough. Being a powerhouse Hanna went back to the drawing board, came up with a solution, sent out replacements to anyone that was effect and took care of their vendors. Fast.

I just used the new unit for the first time tonight. After 3.5 years with the same tank I must admit I do not test as much as I should.. Especially for one of the most important elements alkalinity. You get to a point where you can read the corals but can you really?

What I love:

• Sleek design
  • One button operation
  • Ease of use
  • Everything is included in a hard protective case
  • Cheap, really cheap compared to the time saved and quality of results
  • Accurate checked against a Seachem and API test kit.

What I don't love:

• Output is in ppm, so yeah it's scientific but what does that mean to a guy that has been using dKH for 4+ years?
  • You must clean the glass tube with a cloth, yeah not a big deal
  • I didn't start using one earlier

What you do in StevieT language:

1. Suck up saltwater sample from tank in a syringe
  2. Press black button on unit
  3. Fill glass tube to 10 ml mark
  4. Place in unit
  5. Press black button to zero out
  6. Take tube out, fill with 1ml of reagent
  7. Wipe tube with micro fiber cloth
  8. Place in unit
  9. Press black button
  10. Read ppm with sober eyes
  11. Convert or know if that is to add or subtract dosing

After your first read of the waterproof directions and operation you can do this test in no more than two minutes.

It is where we should be in 2011, digital baby. The unit even shuts itself off.

So how do you convert ppm to dKH? Visit here: http://www.saltyzoo.com/SaltyCalcs/AlkConv.php

Here is a stock picture I will edit and add real ones later.

hanna-checker-marine-alkalinity.jpg

(125ppm = 7dKH)

I just found these things. Can't wait till they have the whole line out. I'd definitely buy them all. I think this one is $49 wamb

price tag??? do they have calc and mag too?

$49 is correct. Calcium would be awesome but really hard to do digitally. I don't see that any time soon but you never know. There are digital calcium meters out there but they are more expensive.

The Hanna rep on another forum said they are planning on releasing a whole line of checkers....mag and calcium are on the way. I believe they said calcium is next up.

I currently have the phosphate and alk checker. No complaints now that they went to the liquid alk reagent. It reads slightly lower than Sailfert alkalinity test.

Multiply the reading off the checker (ppm) by .058 to convert to dkh.

FWIW...if I multiply the reading by .059 I am consistently dead nuts on my sailfert kit results.

do they have calc and mag too?

Should have calcium by the summer...they are still working on magnesium

link

I totally agree with everything in stevie's review i wish i would have had these from day one...

Heres mine..

hanna.jpg

IIRC... I think I saw on another forum where the Phosphate checker was getting some inconsistent results. They're still using powder reagents for it. Definately, the liquid reagents would be better.

I heard the same thing but it was the phosphate checker(HI-713) not the phosphorous checker(HI-736). The phosphorous model was designed specifically for saltwater

phi delt reefer
I heard the same thing but it was the phosphate checker(HI-713) not the phosphorous checker(HI-736). The phosphorous model was designed specifically for saltwater

Does the phosphorous meter give you a way of measuring phosphates? (ie. can you do some math with the number to get a phosphate reading?)

Sorry I havent taken Chem in almost 6 years now...god i am getting old :(

To convert from phosphorus to phosphate you take the phosphorous reading multiply by 3.066 and then as the phosphorus is in ppb you would divide by 1000 to convert to ppm.

I promised StevieT, the evil capitalist, gangbanger, slave driver that I would post a review of this when I bought it. Mostly out of fear for my life, but also because I gave my word, here it is.

Took me a grand total of maybe 2:30 for my first time. I got an Alk reading of 8.7DKH after converted. That made me mad. So, I threw it against the wall and it shattered into many pieces. I think StevieT should refund my money because I have a short temper and don't like it when something tells me I'm wrong.

J/K it worked great. I'm very pleased I gave that bastage my money.

Please don't put a hit out on me, Stevie.

So, I threw it against the wall and it shattered into many pieces. I think StevieT should refund my money because I have a short temper and don't like it when something tells me I'm wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time I have been asked to refund something when the customer breaks it themselves.

I know right, I was low 7s good think they provide a spare vial.

• 4 months later...
omgomgomg Calcium Checker is about 6 weeks away!

I want this lineup.

Does the alk checker work with freshwater too? I would find it vey useful as I keep dkh >1 in my Crs tanks.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys I just got my Hanna checkers this are my readings:

Phos .43

Cal 488

alk 245 wich I converted wit the front page to 13.72 dKH if I did it right.

Now what should I do and what shouldn't do.

Thanks

Well if your currently dosing you should discontinue.Both your alk and calcium are a bit too high. Calcium should be between 400-420 while your alk should be between 7-12 dkh.

Well if your currently dosing you should discontinue.Both your alk and calcium are a bit too high. Calcium should be between 400-420 while your alk should be between 7-12 dkh.

Actually I just started to dose few days ago maybe a week, I dose 12.5ml B-Ionic 2 parts daily, should I dose weekly or every 3 days..?? What about Phosphate its good or no good..??

Actually I just started to dose few days ago maybe a week, I dose 12.5ml B-Ionic 2 parts daily, should I dose weekly or every 3 days..?? What about Phosphate its good or no good..??

Dont dose at all until you know how much your coral are consuming on a daily basis. Phosphate ideally should be between .02 -.05

Archived