ReefCleaners.org

29 BIO CUBE NOT REALLY 29 GALLON

Saltyone

well i put 20 gallons of water in the whole thing with rock and sand so AT MOST its 25 gallon i would proably say around 22 gallons

So really for lighting if it is 29 gallons you would say 2.4 watts per gallon

but if u factor ACTUAL WATER IT HOLD IN THE MAIN TANK i would say your a little over 3.2 watts per gallon

Make sense??

first off, the reason its not all of the 29 gallons is because the sand and rock displace the water, making the water level higher. Also the lights really has nothing to do with gallons, its more of how deep the light penatrates, eg if you had a 3 yard tall 2 gallon tank, 10 watts isn't going to cut it..

I've yet to see an "all in one" mesure up to the advertised gallons.

Take into consideration, displacement from the false wall, pumps and equipment or other stuff that may be there. The other "all in one" manufacturers are using a gallon size based on the empty dims of the glass box and not taking into accoount the false wall, pumps.. etc that come stock. I don't doubt oceanic does the same.

..and in general watts per gallon is not a really good way to judge lighting, for what that is worth.

..other than that how do you like it?

*edit* ...I wrote what I did making the assumption you have no live rock or sand in there yet, and you made that measurement during a leak test.

When I set up my 24G nanocube, I added the water first until it was almost full, then the salt. It sat there like that for a few weeks before I had sand and LR. With pure water alone, it took less than 4 x 5 gallon containers before it was full.

i agree with you i had a 12g nano it only held 8g of water without sand and rock

just compare 12g nano with a 10aga you can see the 10g is bigger

i am sure it is the seem for 24 cube vs 25aga

I set up my 29 Biocube yesterday and it held 22 gallons of water. No sand or LR in it.

Front + back chambers filled to the rim and it is only 22?

I would think 27 or so at least.

Front + back chambers filled to the rim and it is only 22?

I would think 27 or so at least.

Chamber 2 is right at that grid plate, should it be full? Chamber 3 is way above the max. line, I can't figure out why.

Chamber 2 is right at that grid plate, should it be full? Chamber 3 is way above the max. line, I can't figure out why.

It my be 29 if all chambers where full, but mine held 20 gals with LS only.

lol the case of the shrunkin cube?

OK the "display area" of the BC 29 is roughly 16x20x15 which would equal 20.78g

Maybe you are right.

Funny because I cannot keep my eyes off the Cadlights 22 which is 14.25x23.75x14.5 which would equal 21.24g. I already have their 5g at my office which I LOVE...

Seems I am never satisfied either...

• 3 years later...
navyman_3703

i had the same issue but i was only able to get 23 gallons before sand and rocks. when i initally filled the tank with water ONLY, it held 23 gallons. I measured the tank specs and they matched what Oceanic said they should be. I still dont understand why. I seroiusly doubt that the bioballs, pump, and filtration would displace 6 gallons of volume.

OK the "display area" of the BC 29 is roughly 16x20x15 which would equal 20.78g

Maybe you are right.

Funny because I cannot keep my eyes off the Cadlights 22 which is 14.25x23.75x14.5 which would equal 21.24g. I already have their 5g at my office which I LOVE...

Seems I am never satisfied either...

Reefmonster

EDIT** I see this post has been ressurected from beyond...I fell for it!

FWIW the measurements of water seem wrong to me...I poured in (5) 5-gallon sparklets bottles of freshwater into my BC29 plus 2gallons or so of fluff during the leak test, so mine empty has 27US Gallons in it. I suspect the discrepancy is in the jugs being used to fill them. I generally use food grade jugs / containers because they have to pass volume evaluations and I know that I am actually getting 5gals when I buy it.

BTW, my BC14 held 12US Gallons, so I think that the esitmates the Mfr's are using is adequate.

I suppose it also helps that I have a degree in volumetric hydro engineering... ;)

EDIT** I see this post has been ressurected from beyond...I fell for it!

FWIW the measurements of water seem wrong to me...I poured in (5) 5-gallon sparklets bottles of freshwater into my BC29 plus 2gallons or so of fluff during the leak test, so mine empty has 27US Gallons in it. I suspect the discrepancy is in the jugs being used to fill them. I generally use food grade jugs / containers because they have to pass volume evaluations and I know that I am actually getting 5gals when I buy it.

BTW, my BC14 held 12US Gallons, so I think that the esitmates the Mfr's are using is adequate.

I suppose it also helps that I have a degree in volumetric hydro engineering... ;)

Basic math helps also

Archived