Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can I run only 1 pump on the aquapod 24g? Maxi-jet 1200?

Candi_MI

Hi everyone!

I've been reading so much about the aquapods I'm starting to feel dizzy LOL

I was all set to purchase the 12g version then I saw Icenine's gorgeous 24g tank with his stock PC lighting and realized I'd be much happier with a 24g... especially now that I know I could succesfully keep LPS of such variety.

However the only issue is that I see most people are not only swapping out the stock pump but adding another. I'm not DIY at all, and my husband besides not sharing my passion for aqauriums is even less handy (not to mention even if I could figure out how to run two pumps the only tools we have are some screw drivers, a pair of pliers, and a hammer which I don't think will cut it LOL).

So can I just run one pump in place of the stock? Would you recommend a maxi-jet 1200 (or a 900)?

Also, do the 24g come with the loc line Y like the new 12gs do? Do they come with one fan or two, if it's only one is there the place for the 2nd one already wired such as in the 12g version?)

Sorry for all the questions, thank you VERY much for any responses

Candi (MI)

Hi everyone!

I've been reading so much about the aquapods I'm starting to feel dizzy LOL

I was all set to purchase the 12g version then I saw Icenine's gorgeous 24g tank with his stock PC lighting and realized I'd be much happier with a 24g... especially now that I know I could succesfully keep LPS of such variety.

However the only issue is that I see most people are not only swapping out the stock pump but adding another. I'm not DIY at all, and my husband besides not sharing my passion for aqauriums is even less handy (not to mention even if I could figure out how to run two pumps the only tools we have are some screw drivers, a pair of pliers, and a hammer which I don't think will cut it LOL).

So can I just run one pump in place of the stock? Would you recommend a maxi-jet 1200 (or a 900)?

Also, do the 24g come with the loc line Y like the new 12gs do? Do they come with one fan or two, if it's only one is there the place for the 2nd one already wired such as in the 12g version?)

Sorry for all the questions, thank you VERY much for any responses

Candi (MI)

The 24g Aquapod comes with one fan but it has a place to add a second fan. It isn't wired to be plug and play on the second fan, it will require some wire cutting and such. I did replace the stock fan with a quieter fan but I have not added a second fan b/c my temps so far are ok.

The 24g does not come with the loc line, it just has an adjustable flange thing. I like it though as it is unobtrusive and directs flow well enough.

I'm running a MJ1200 in my 24g and so far it works very well. It wasn't hard at all to replace the stock pump. I think the only tools I used were heavy duty scissors to cut the tubing down in length and a cable tie b/c the tube didn't fit snugly.

Look into the Oceanic Bio Cube that just came out. They have learned from the flaws of Nano Cubes and Aquapods and made what looks to be a great all-in-one system.

Good luck either way,

Martin

You don't need to add a second pump but if you are looking at ending corals some do need more flow which is why many of us with an aquapod or nanocube add a second pump. AFter you decided what you all want to host you should then figure out how much flow you want. There is a good article on this floating around this site somewhere. With just the maxijet you would have about 12x. gph/tank size. If you decide to add a second pump you could always house it in the display, but that may take away from your aqurium. Add a second pump is not that hard of a job. Many just use loc line to bring it over the wall. I chose to drill new holes which isn't that hard, but you would ahve to findsome one with a drill and the right size bit. I am actually only getting started myself. if you want to see what mine looks like with the two new holes just check this link out which will take you to my thread. The things i did were rather easy because you are only drilling through plastic not the glass. Good luck and as i am sure you have read take your time and do it right the first time.

zmckenzie

Might help to post the link

Zmckenzie Aquapod 24

zmckenzie

MiNiReFeRx

your fine with one pump unless you upgrade your lighting and

get some SPS but if you want to add a second pump just

go to a plumbing store and get some plumbing so you can put the

pump inside and run plumbing over the wall into your tank

I'd just be keeping the stock lighting, most I want to keep are LPS... was mainly asking about the second pump because of Icenine's tank which I think looks great and uses the stock PC lighting. Sounds like I should decide if I want a 2nd pump before I start filling since I'd rather have a 2nd hole and not have to try and go over the wall instead at a later date.

What do you guys think, 2 maxi-jet 900's or one 1200? Do they need the 2nd fan? I'm sure I could find someone to help me install one if its a must (we live in MI, keep the temp at 68 in the winter and 72 in the summer)

Also I'm still considering the oceanic, do we knew what the stock lighting will be yet or the approx price? My LFS expects them in but they don't know when or a price yet :(

MiNiReFeRx

if you just want LPS i would go with one i keep two maxi jets in my nano

but i keep maxi jet 900s and mine is a 12 and i only do that because i keep SPS

i think you will be fine with one

I would say put the 2nd pump in while you can. If you don't need to run it then don't, but then if you need more flow for your corals you have it. If you do go with two i would go with two 900 which are much cooler then the 1200 and offer 260gph i believe.

I would say put the 2nd pump in while you can. If you don't need to run it then don't, but then if you need more flow for your corals you have it. If you do go with two i would go with two 900 which are much cooler then the 1200 and offer 260gph i believe.

the stock pump is 32w w/290gph flow. the maxi jet 1200 is 20w w/295gph flow. i opted for two maxi jet 900s which are 8.5w each to achieve 460gph flow. this will reduce heat build up (although that may not be a concern in MI) and gave me a significant increase in flow. i have plumbed mine to come over the top of the wall - had i known then what i know now i would have gone through the wall before filling the tank.

Sea_Of_Treachery

i would go with 2, i have a 1200 and a hydor pico 400(115gph) so 410 gph total. you don't want any dead spots in your tank, make sure theres at least some flow everywhere. i have also found that LPS corals like a little more flow than softies.

Ok if I go with the AP 24 it'll be 2 900 maxi jets... still holding out to see price on the Oceanic (think they will need pump replacement/additions too?)

Ok if I go with the AP 24 it'll be 2 900 maxi jets... still holding out to see price on the Oceanic (think they will need pump replacement/additions too?)

i don't think there will ever be a tank that folks on here won't upgrade :) the stock pump in the oceanic 29 will be 316gph which makes it right on par with a 24g Aquapod at 290gph. if i were to buy one...i'd upgrade and/or add an additonal pump. here's more on the oceanic...about all you will find:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=86301&st=0

also, i did see one website which had it priced at $281. here it is:

http://www.leisure-time.com/occ.htm

Archived