Coral Vue Hydros

various euphyllia side by side?

Carinya

I have a hammer & a frogspawn and I'd like to mount them side by side. I know that euphyllia generally have a strong sting & are pretty aggressive, but since they are the same genus, will they be OK close together?

C

RayWhisperer

They can sometimes be placed side by side without problems, other times they will nuke eachother. I'm not entirely certain, but I think it may be due to other corals encroaching on their space that causes this reaction(by other corals, I mean other than Euphyllia).

I have one hammer (Euphyllia) & two varieties of frogspawn (Euphyllia) in my NC6 that are within an inch or two of each other and have been for months with no problems. I have tried torch (Euphyllia) on two different occasions and had constant problems with the torches not getting along well with the hammer. The torch & hammer would send out sweepers and sting each other, so I removed the torch corals and in both instances & the problem went away (actually one touch died from the assault & the other was traded before any casualties occurred). I have had one of my frogspawn send out sweepers, but that was when some mushrooms started growing to close and I never saw the sweepers attack anything but shrooms. I moved the frogspawn away from the shrooms and the frogspawn settled down in a couple of weeks.

Archived