Pod Your Reef

caribsea aragamight

mxpro32

has anyone tried caribseas aragamight?  does it work for keeping alk and ca up?  seems like it would be easy to use.  i dosed my b-ionic and it made a weird white milky snowlike film in the tank.  havent tried it again since.  anyone know what this was?

I have tried aragamilk and aragamight. Basically the same thing very fine aragonite sand suspended in water. They had some positive effects on my corraline growth however when I started getting stonies it wasn't sufficiant to keep my levels up. Randy Holmes Farely told me not to use them as the particles of solids attract calcium Ions and bond with them causing them to precipitate out of solution, actually reducing my Ca level. I stopped using them as per his suggestion and moved on to Kalkwasser. I never saw any negative effects from thier respective use and I did see corraline growth with thier use.

HTH,

Toy

so it sounds like it worked well on your tank. but it could possibly do harm.  seems like alot of things in reef keeping are that way doesnt it? whoever said there are no answers in reefkeeping just an ongoing survey was right.  well i guess ill try my b-ionic again and see what happens.   thanks

I think the problem is really nobody has any Idea how to exactly replicate Mom nature. Sure....Everyone has an opinion on how to but....Who do you believe? That is why the Aquarium boards are so valuable, up to the minute suggestions from many successful reefers all in one free place with nothing to sell! Take what you want and run your own expieriment then pass on your Knowledge Boo Ya! everyones tanks get more like Mom Nature!

Toy

Toy

i use caribsea aragonite.  i have great coralline growth for a nine month old tank.  all i use for supplements are kent probuffer dkh, and kent essential elements.  i rarely dose anyway.  my coralline grows more each day.  i asked the lfs about the aragonite and ca levels and they said it will, but not enough.  unless i was using a co2 pump?  anyway, i just shrugged it off, but i think it has to have something to do with it.  remember that you have to prerinse the aragonite before you put it in your tank.  for the arag-alive you don't, but caribsea you do.  my good friend from lfs told me that all you should really worry about is alk, between 8-14 dkh.  mine stays between 8-11 and everything does great.   my 10 gallon has just aragonite and has coralline growing on it.  i had one piece of live rock in there for a week maybe, and i guess it seeded the tank.  but it grew on the sand way after i took the rock out.  i don't supplement this tank at all.  (maybe a couple doses over 6 months)

oops, i'm sorry.  i misread your question.  anyway, i'll leave the post.  maybe it could help someone with an "aragonite sand" question.  sorry =)dunce.gif

• 7 months later...

I second the opinion that is has no negative affect nor any positive either! I have been using it for 1-1/2 months and Ca and alkalinity are still low. I use it in my makeup water and evaporate ~ 1/2 gallon a day!

I'm switching back to Reef Builder + Kalkwasser.

mxpro-

as you know B-ionic, C-Balance, the kent crap (Calcium whatever A and B) are all two part additives. part A is generally your calcium part, consiting mostly of calcium chloride (C-balance contains some soluble magnesium and strontium salts also, i believe). part B is the buffering component-mostly soluble carbonate salts. when mixed calcium carbonate (low solubility-especially at high pH) forms thus precipitating out a lot if not all of the calcium. that's why they are administered as two part systems. when you add part b to a tank you almost always will get a milky cloud. but this should disipate very fast-add it to an area of the tank with good flow. ideally you would wait awhile after adding part A to allow it to evenly spread throughout the tank. if adding the b-ionic caused a snow shower the snow flakes were calcium carbonate precipitating out of solution. i don't understand it all myself (well not well enough to explain it) but basically its a dynamic balance with calcium and carbonate-too much carbonate and you'll cause precipitation of calcium carbonate. this is life without a calcium reactor!

Archived