inTank Media Baskets

Memories of my very first nano

rickjg

Memories of my very first nano from 97 to 2000. :closedeyes:

The pics are pathetic, it was long before I owned a digital camera. I used my camcorder to make movies of the tank so I could show them to my brother who also had a reef tank. I found the old movies a while back and took pics of the movie with my digital camera.

It was a Tru-Vu 12g cube with a 10g fuge that I had running for 3 years.

It had (2)28w + (1)9w for lighting over the display and (1)28w for the fuge.

I double drilled the back for overflow into the fuge & pumped the water back up.

I didn't ever have any fish in the tank, but I did accidentally add an octopus when I brought back what I thought was an empty shell from tide pooling and dropped it into my tank. I woke the next morning to find a tiny sea monster in my tank eating all of the hermit crabs. I had the octopus in the tank for several months until it pulled an escape attempt & my dog caught & ate it.

post-926-1138407529_thumb.jpg

post-926-1138407546_thumb.jpg

post-926-1138407565_thumb.jpg

Memories of my very first nano from 97 to 2000. :closedeyes:... ...I didn't ever have any fish in the tank, but I did accidentally add an octopus when I brought back what I thought was an empty shell from tide pooling and dropped it into my tank. I woke the next morning to find a tiny sea monster in my tank eating all of the hermit crabs. I had the octopus in the tank for several months until it pulled an escape attempt & my dog caught & ate it.

:haha: Oh, man that one got me gooood... At least he didn't wanna play fetch with a new "toy".

i bet that was a good reef, although very blurry pics but who cares

It was a pretty good reef setup and it would have been nice to have better pictures.

I actually still have a piece or two of the same live rock in my current NC6.

It was before any web sites like Nano-Reef.com were running; so most of my info came from Julian Sprung's Reef Notes column in FAMA.

The reef mostly had mushrooms of several verities, which grew great, & pulsating xenia growing at the top. I used to trade mushroom frags at the LFS to expand my collection.

The fuge had a deep sand bed, home made skimmer & a lot of halimeda.

Octopus > crab any day (octopus pwns crab, if you will.). I had one at about the same time, though I purchased her from a diver in Florida (twelve dollars or so?). One of her eggs actually hatched into a fully-formed baby small enough to sit fully-spread on my pinky-finger. A-mazing.

Cool tank. Nice hitchhiker, heh.

Archived