inTank Media Baskets

Some type of Hydroid found in my tank. ID PLS!

somoney

IDHydroid.jpg

Enhanced photo with Picasa. [ENJOY]

Hard to focus on something this small but the top Jellyfish type life form is a reflection which shows more clearly the actual shape (Triangle).

After shutting my filters down for cleaning I noticed this tiny Hydroid / Jelly in my 6.6G Bookshelf nano. It expands and collapses like a Jelly fish for propulsion at a moderate speed.

Anyone have a name dor this little fella?

I'm curious regarding resources to "NAME" the exact type of life this is.

Hard to tell but maybe you have a hydrozoan jellyfish, Obelia is what you would search on, that actually has stages of life that go from Hodroid to Medusa (free swiming) as opposed to what we typically see on the boards that stays attached and rarely separates.

Hard to tell but maybe you have a hydrozoan jellyfish, Obelia is what you would search on, that actually has stages of life that go from Hodroid to Medusa (free swiming) as opposed to what we typically see on the boards that stays attached and rarely separates.

Its Bell / Triangle shape lead me to believe that its in the Hydroidomedusae class, However, he absence of ant visable tentacles is whats making this difficault for me to classify.

Since it nature is to ride the top water currents it will most likely get sucked up into my surface skimmer and we'll never see what they grow up to be. If they survive and exhibit any more characteristics Ill be sure to post them here.

The weirdest things pop out of live rock! :D

Cool! Are you sure it doesn't have tentacles?

We had some tiny, swimming "jellyfish" in the beginning. They just happened to be the first item we attempted to take pictures of through a tiny 12X loupe we have. So the following pics show how clumsy (& blurry) our first attempts were (hint to those taking pics through loupes--I've since found it helps a lot to decrease the exposure setting...).

Our first try:

dscn0911medium4zn.jpg

Getting a little closer, you can start to see tentacles:

dscn0916medium1dq.jpg

dscn0919medium4pt.jpg

These things would sometimes come to rest on the glass or rock; other times they'd pulse around the tank like little spaceships. So cool! We did not get a name but concluded they were the medusa stage of a hydroid. They seemed to be associated with a type of hydroid that was very tiny and had 4-tentacled, bulb-tipped polyps connected to each other by long threads of tissue. Do you have anything like that in your tank?

I used to have a page of Ron Shimek's with some discussion of hydroids in their various forms, but his stuff has been inaccessible for a while...sigh.

--Diane

I have these hydroid jellies too, the tentacles are really, really hard to see unless you get up close. Help is required in the form of a close-up photograph in order to make them out. :D

jfish281105.jpg

Best regards

Ann

I have these hydroid jellies too, the tentacles are really, really hard to see unless you get up close. Help is required in the form of a close-up photograph in order to make them out. :D

Amazing photo, Ann!

img

/img

Best regards

Ann

YIKES!! Thats just down right scary! ;)

Yours seams to stick to the glass with its tentacles, whare mine does not have any. I tossed a 70-300mm APO Macro lense on my cannon and I just dont see any.

Ann...your camera is so nice...mine would look like you are looking into a microscope...with like a smashed bean in the slide...compared to that thing...LOL

• 4 years later...

I had a few of these as well. I sucked up 3 in a little pipette and brought them to my Marine Biology professor. He examined them under a dissection microscope, and said that they were some form of benthic jellyfish with 9-fold symmetry (at least from the angle we could see). Interestingly enough, each tentacle had photoreceptor cells on them.

I had a few of these as well. I sucked up 3 in a little pipette and brought them to my Marine Biology professor. He examined them under a dissection microscope, and said that they were some form of benthic jellyfish with 9-fold symmetry (at least from the angle we could see). Interestingly enough, each tentacle had photoreceptor cells on them.

Pro Necro!!!

Archived