Pod Your Reef

My Jalli 30g Cube

qascooter

Hey everyone!

I picked up my 30 gallon Jalli cube last night and am in the process of setting it up. I couldn't find any information on this tank anywhere, except at the LFS. The Tank dimensions are 24x18.5x???. I didn't measure the internal dimensions or the height (yet). It looks like the same setup in the back of a Finnex M-Tank. The tank cost me $350. The lights are 2 2x55, one 50/50, one daytime. Haven't turned the lights on yet. I did take some pictures though...

Box Label

post-16680-1133280633_thumb.jpg

Box

post-16680-1133281768_thumb.jpg

Tank, Still in wrapper

post-16680-1133281871_thumb.jpg

Tank - Unwrapped

post-16680-1133281929_thumb.jpg

Tank - Side view

post-16680-1133281941_thumb.jpg

Side view - Close up

post-16680-1133282000_thumb.jpg

Skimmer

post-16680-1133281964_thumb.jpg

post-16680-1133281972_thumb.jpg

Anybody know what size pump this is? It's the Skimmer pump

post-16680-1133281981_thumb.jpg

What about this one? It's the return pump

post-16680-1133282105_thumb.jpg

This tank even has the 8 - 3/16" holes drilled like the M-Tank

post-16680-1133282240_thumb.jpg

I plan on putting it all together tomorrow. The LFS I got it from is called Far West Tropical Fish & Pond supply. Talk to is Rich Arnett. 951-698-FISH (3474). If you end up talking to him, tell him Scott sent you!

I'll post more as I go along. I plan on adding two 1/2" bulkheads and a SCWD here in the next few days. So what do you all think???

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I likes it

I really like the way the hood with lights are designed compared to my M-Tank--

Thats a total of 220 watt PC on 30 gal-- that should be good lighting-- maybe even SPS on the top

With that hood design-- looks like yu could mod to VHO or MH later down the road if you ever wanted (would cause more heat)

Good Luck--

Keep up posted

---- becareful acrylic scratchs easily--- never mind if its glass, now I see the plastic guards on top and bottom-- so I bet its glass :)

Izzue

Thanks Izzue,

It's only 110 watts total 2x55. Sorry about that. I see four tubes and think it's 4 separate tubes. Doohhh! There is a whole lot of room under the hood though. I was thinking T5's or a MH setup. I've gotta wait until the budget catches up, and the rock cures before I do anything about lights.

Oh, and the tank is glass. Thicker than the JBJ 24. I don't know the thickness, but had the opportunity to check it at the LFS against a cracked JBJ. There was three of us using our fingers as gauges to see if the glass was thicker. It definitely was. It would be nice to put some calipers on it, but I don't have a pair. Hmmmm...

Hey ######,

I couldn't find any mention of the tank through google. Call up Rich. I don't know if he'd ship to you. If he can't/won't, my guess is he'll point you to somebody that would/could. 951-698-3474 Far West is in Murrieta, CA

that is shweeeeet!!!

you dont know of any online dealers that carry em?

wow you could have hung a metal halide pendant over a 30 oceanic cube for that.

plus had cash left over for lots of beer.

cool that it is ready to go. plug and play will cost ya I guess.

shoot me a pm I would love to check that thing out. You are in murrieta right?

wow you could have hung a metal halide pendant over a 30 oceanic cube for that.

plus had cash left over for lots of beer.

cool that it is ready to go. plug and play will cost ya I guess.

shoot me a pm I would love to check that thing out. You are in murrieta right?

I thought about that. I would have wanted to make a false back for the Oceanic. Then there is the skimmer, and return pump. I probably could have saved a few bucks, but I'm happy with the height of this tank (Less than the Oceanic), and 24 inches wide, which more lighting options exist for it. Ahhh - decisions, decisions...

I measured the tank this morning. 24"x18"x16.5" . The viewing area is 24"x13.5". The back area is 4" deep.

The light fixture is wierd. It's two halves put together over a smaller light. Adds a good 6 inches in depth to the light. It also has four feet that slide in this track to raise the light off the tank about 4 to 6 inches. So it can be directly on top of the tank (like the pic above) or raised up on legs.

And the fan on the lights is loud. Do I even need the fan for these PCs?

Alrighty now, I got the tank up and running this weekend! Lots of fun. I've added a SCWD (still have the stock pump), and took a few quick pics.

SCWD from the top. The LFS didn't have the proper barb setup so I improvised with stuff from Lowes.

post-16680-1133803446_thumb.jpg

Front & Side.

post-16680-1133803673_thumb.jpgpost-16680-1133803692_thumb.jpgpost-16680-1133803704_thumb.jpg

This is the first stab at arranging the rock. I've got a bit over 30 lbs in there. I like the left side, and the right side isn't quite there yet. Does anybody know offhand what the coral is? I got it with the live rock from the LFS this weekend. It seemed really happy when it got some light. It was in a box when I picked it up. Hmmm...

Also, I'm getting fine bubbles from the skimmer making their way back into the tank. Gotta play with the settings of the skimmer.

So what do you all think? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Update! So the tank has been cycling, and I've been on a quest to make it silent, except for the splashing of water. This is not an easy feat.

So I tried a Rio 1700 for the return. Too noisy. I've also tried a friends dolphin 560 with a chewed-up impellor, and it's relatively quiet (not silent), and seems to push a good amount of flow.

I'm running a SCWD, and each bulkhead has a y-splitter on it to give two separate directions per nozzle. This cuts the flow in 1/2 at the nozzle. The flow with this 560 seems nice. With just one nozzle per bulkhead the flow is substantial. The back compartment sounds like a waterfall. Might be a bit much. Either some holes in the back compartment or that black filter stuff to diffuse the flow over the wall.

The big noise generator now is the skimmer, which clearly drowns out all other sounds with it's vibrating sound. I don't know if a different pump will help with the noise of this beast. It's working well, generating some tan/brown foam and tea colored water in the cup.

I'm thinking about running without the skimmer, but I'll post that question as a different post.

I'm still looking for the perfect pump, one that will pump at least 500 gph, but yet be silent, as in no background drone. This should be enough flow to power the two nozzles per bulkhead, and give the tank enough flow in general.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

nice !!

what kind of skimmer? Looks like a venturi. Get a longer air hose, but otherwise it'll be loud. try to go for a needle wheel, those I heard are quieter.

for the pump, look into Quiet One pumps by Pentairaquatics.com

• 3 weeks later...
nice !!

what kind of skimmer? Looks like a venturi. Get a longer air hose, but otherwise it'll be loud. try to go for a needle wheel, those I heard are quieter.

for the pump, look into Quiet One pumps by Pentairaquatics.com

Thanks for the info Koden!

Update! The tank has been running since Dec 1, and doing quite well. Copepods showed up and I've added a few frags from friends.

I also changed the plumbing around a bit. I changed the main pump with a Rio 2100. T'd off the main feed to the skimmer, inserting a rio venturi bubble maker device. Had to drill a hole through the bulkhead to make this all work. So now the tank is running off of one pump, with a SCWD. Flow is adequate, and could be a bit more, but honestly, if it is higher, the water level rises too high on the back wall. The only fix for this would be a PH in the tank. I don't really want to because of looks, but we'll see.

So check out the pics. What do you all think?!?

post-16680-1136309100_thumb.jpgpost-16680-1136309176_thumb.jpgpost-16680-1136309184_thumb.jpg

post-16680-1136309127_thumb.jpgpost-16680-1136309144_thumb.jpgpost-16680-1136309155_thumb.jpg

post-16680-1136309168_thumb.jpgpost-16680-1136309176_thumb.jpg

Looks like this is really coming together for you scooter. great Job

Thanks Ebin, I'm stoked on how well it's doing. I have to put a big chunk of foam, at an angle, to catch and filter the air bubbles the skimmer puts out, but no big deal. It also filters any big stuff, so I guess it's a good thing.

So the LFS Crystal Cove is also carrying this tank now, as well as the Aquapod, Nano, and M-Tank. Cool. The guy over there (Mike) asked me if I got the MH version?!? He told me he could get it for me for $189. Basically a 150 HQI MH with 2x55 PC's.

I'm planning on modding my hood at some point. I've already got the 2x55 PC's, just need the MH, or T5's. I want the color to be SWEET. Anybody have any opinions?

Archived