Innovative Marine Aquariums

This is why you do not do business with Aquatraders PICS

Chino

Either I have the worst luck or this company is just that horrible. I just thought Id share with everyone. Ive learned my lesson. You DO get what you pay for. Email response was horrible, shipping was terrible, and the fixture itself is pretty much trash. I would just tell the whole story but it would just take too long with all the things I have to say about Aquatraders. So, heres part of the long email I sent them.

"Let me just start from the beginning. To make a long story short, on August 31, 2005, I purchase the Odyssea 211W MH/PC fixture from your website. It took until September 9, 2005 to arrive from only Houston which is only 4 hours from the mailing address. When I recieved the fixture, it was not even working at all. I notified aquatraders about my issue and a call tag was issued for return. It took until October 3, 2005 to recieve a working fixture which was over a month just to get a working fixture. Both packages arrived ripped and falling apart for your information This may not be a big issue to aquatraders but to me as a customer, this is very terrible service.

The replacement fixture worked fine up until yesterday October 13, 2005 and became a disaster. It only worked for 10 days and in those ten days I constantly smelt a light burning smell. Last night when coming home, I notice I was just in time to put a out a fire. Most of my house was filled with smoke. The ballast from the replacement fixture caught on fire and is now not working at all. This leaves me no choice but to request for a money refund. I will not want a replacement fixture because the ballast is harzardous to my house and my family."

This is the email Ive sent them and Im awaiting their reply. Basically I dont want another replacement and Im telling them I just want my money back. The burnt smell was the capacitor inside the ballast slowly melting. This is a magnetic ballast BTW which I did not know I was getting when ordering the fixture. Here are a few pics of what almost burned my home down . It couldve been alot worst for me but luckily I came home just in time.

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

I will never buy from this company ever again. This has got to be by far the worst online company Ive ever ordered from.

That is horrible news. You are so lucky that you arrived to your house on time. You are right though, you get what you pay for. It happens to all of us once. Good luck. Hopefully they will re-fund your money.

Wow... thank god you came home in time! It would've been awful to see a house go down because of a fish tank. But yea, stick it to 'em! I think a company should stand up for their products; but if you are burning people's houses down you better take responsibility!

G'Luck!

For the recored, Aquatraiders is a retailer, not the manufactuer, I think.

JBJ lighting is the real maker of the Odysea brand.

Not "defending" JBJ, but I think you confused JEBO with JBJ. Most of aquatraders stuff is "JEBO".

HTH

Chris

Man Chino,glad you and your family are ok.Does you state have a consumer advocate dept.?You should contact them,even if you get your money back.If you don't get a refund,local news channels often have a "help desk" for people who have disputes with contractors,businesses,etc.They love to jump on clear cut cases like this.Get the word out on what happened.You may save someone elses home and family too.

The problem with Aquatraders and other names its operated under, is that they get complaints, go out of business, and pop back up with a different name.

Very very scary.

Glad nothing worse happened and very thankful you were there in time.

Chris

I agree that aquatraders is the worse online store. All they do is sell cheap crap. I also bought a MH fixture from them and the T5 endcaps went into smoke and blew out within 10 mins of me having the fixture on. They didnt want to pay for the shipping cost to return it so I just drove down to there store in san bruno, CA and replaced the fixture. They didnt even bother saying sorry or anything. They just said "heres another fixture". No more aquatraders for me. Sorry for your loss but atleast you were there to prevent a house fire.

• 1 month later...

I have the 186 watt unit and mine pretty much did the same thing, the capacitor is melted luckily iwas home to unplug it before it could catch on fire like yours did.

chino,

did you try to call them. found this on their website.

For help with placing an order on the website, shipment tracking, or billing questions, call us at 1-800-970-2782

Operator available from 11am-5pm PST Monday to Friday

an not to defend Jebo, but I am pretty sure Hamilton, Coralife, and others have had random fires too. All it takes it one faulty peice of equipment or one small faulty component the company has no control over. Everybody gets a lemon everyonce and a while. Sorry to hear you got one.

Archived