Cultivated Reef

The I've Lost My Mind Build

68sting

So.....I thought I lost interest in the hobby and was getting out. I decided to take down my 215 in wall last fall. Before I had everything sold I realized I still wanted something and found this 12L on craigslist. In the mean time we decided to turn the fish room into a library and I came up with a new plan.

215 inwall

Here's a video of the 215 if your interested.

p1000830.jpg

Here's the 12L and its build thread

Picture159.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=0#entry3656930

And heres the fish room soon to be a library/tank room.

p1020904-1.jpg

Now that your up to speed here's the plan. 3-7.5 gallon cubes and 2- 12 gallon longs. That will give me 9 feet and 46.5 gallons to play with. The tanks will be plumbed into one system but each tank will be a specialty tank. At the moment I'm looking at a sps tank, anemone tank, chalice tank, suncoral tank and so on. Lighing and flow hasn't been worked out just yet. Looking for some feed back in these areas.

libraryfirst1.jpg

Here's the tanks.

IMG_20120306_171903.jpg

Room Perspective-woodwork and door to fish room coming down to open the two rooms up to each other.

Picture058.jpg

IMG_20120306_190129.jpg

I'm in the demolition phase now and I don't have a specific ETA on this project. As always time and money will dictate that.

So....five months ago I was getting out. :lol:

I like the quality of your work. I'm looking forward to seeing this ambitious project!

Thanks

I think with the amount of work you are doing you will lose your mind! lol. What are you considering for equipment?

I'm not sure just yet. I plan on useing a couple 20L for sumps and I have a Euroreef rs80 skimmer. I'm looking for ideas on lighting. I could do some par 30 or 38, DIY,Ebay GU10, a mixture ect.

I WISH I HAD A FISH ROOM :)

I'm already missing it.

:o you need to get that 215 back up and runnin! OMG dude, that video is sick! Love the fish room as well!

Maybe someday but I'm lovin how cheap and easy the 12L is.

Dude, and I thought I was nuts! You've gone way beyond nuts!!! ;)

I like it! LOL!

Ok I might need to rethink this.lol If you think I'm nuts I just might be.

Lol im tired of this big tank i think ill set up five small ones. :lol: I wish my wife would let me get away with my reefing dreams.

My wife is very understanding when it comes to my crazy ideas.lol

I'm in the middle of rewiring at the moment. I have 3- 20amp circuits, 1-15 amp circuit and 220 ran to this room. lol I shouldn't have any trouble running 46.5 gallons.

Picture316.jpg

Awesome. Are you just connecting all the tanks to the same sump system, or actually connecting the tanks themselves somehow?

saltwatercoral

Where do you live? If it's close to Maryland, and still have the big equipment Im interested in buying!

I'm in the middle of rewiring at the moment. I have 3- 20amp circuits, 1-15 amp circuit and 220 ran to this room. lol I shouldn't have any trouble running 46.5 gallons.

Why are you running so much juice? Let me know if you need any help, curious to see how you finish your walls.

Awesome. Are you just connecting all the tanks to the same sump system, or actually connecting the tanks themselves somehow?

They will only be connected via the sump.

Where do you live? If it's close to Maryland, and still have the big equipment Im interested in buying!

Colorado and it all sold already

You crazy.

I may need to start a poll to verify this.lol

Looks like a cool project.

Thanks

But at the same time, GENIUS

I've always wanted to do a setup like that :)

Thanks

Why are you running so much juice? Let me know if you need any help, curious to see how you finish your walls.

It was originally my work shop so I ran a lot of power to the room. It came in handy when the 215 went up. I also thought it may get converted into a kitchen some day and I had empty slots in the break box so I thought why not. It was all run a long time ago but now I need to move it to new locations for this lay out.

Walls will be rock and hand troweled drywall.

You have to call me when you trowel, I've been tossing around the idea of doing something similar in some rooms and curious to see your technique.

Wow...you've got the same idea Im in the process of doing

From left to right 2ft 30 gallon cube - 7.5g 12in cube - custom 25g - 7.5g cube - 2ft cube

Left to right - frag tank - seahorse - mixed reef - clowns/nems - lion fish

Great minds think alike....I like your style

You have to call me when you trowel, I've been tossing around the idea of doing something similar in some rooms and curious to see your technique.

Will do

Wow...you've got the same idea Im in the process of doing

From left to right 2ft 30 gallon cube - 7.5g 12in cube - custom 25g - 7.5g cube - 2ft cube

Left to right - frag tank - seahorse - mixed reef - clowns/nems - lion fish

Great minds think alike....I like your style

It won't be long and everybody will have 5 tanks lined up in a row.lol

Look like you will be busy for a while :) It would be awesome tho.

Yeah this won't happen over night.

Builder Anthony

well since you got some cash why not blow it on more saltwater stuff haha...

do a google search for this and wacth a video how it works.you can simulate lightNING with it

firefly lightning simulator

then these are like 40 bucks but itll be the coolest 40 u ever spent.it makes a real good fog

repti fogger

Haha yea - so far I have all 5 tanks 3 of the stands built and lighting for 3 of 5. Overflows for all. Redesigning the display fudge in the bottom center. But I still need to build 2 more stands. Have 2 20x20x20 cubes built for a sump and secondary fuge. And buy pumps. And wait for my new house to be built(settlement is in June!) To set up the tanks - currently just the mixed reef is setup. Fish room will be beside the garage and I've already had them run rodi lines and drain lines to that wall for me...I'm excited

But you are right indeed once people see our setups everyone will be doing it. Looking forward to see where yours takes you Sting

saltwatercoral
Haha yea - so far I have all 5 tanks 3 of the stands built and lighting for 3 of 5. Overflows for all. Redesigning the display fudge in the bottom center. But I still need to build 2 more stands. Have 2 20x20x20 cubes built for a sump and secondary fuge. And buy pumps. And wait for my new house to be built(settlement is in June!) To set up the tanks - currently just the mixed reef is setup. Fish room will be beside the garage and I've already had them run rodi lines and drain lines to that wall for me...I'm excited

But you are right indeed once people see our setups everyone will be doing it. Looking forward to see where yours takes you Sting

Updates? Pics?

Archived