Pod Your Reef

jaredcoe - BioCube 29 Build Thread

jaredcoe

Hello everyone! I'm excited to finally post my very own tank thread! After close to 3 years of planning then moving, and then moving again, I finally have a tank with water. Below are the details with a few pics. I'll be updating often so let me know your thoughts.

Tank:

Oceanic BioCube 29

Oceanic Stand

Equipment/Filtration:

MaxiJet 1200 Return Pump

Hydor Koralia 750

AquaticLife Mini 115

InTank Media Basket, Fuge Basket and Fish Saver Guard

Rapid LED BC 29 Dimmable Kit (10 RB / 7 CW / 3 NW)

SpectraPure Refurbished RO/DI 90 GPD with 3 GAL Drinking Water Add-on and Air-Gap Faucet

Mods:

Removed tab between chamber 1 and 2

Airline mod for AquaticLife Skimmer

Removed false bottom from chamber 1 and 2

Livestock:

30lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Livesand

40lbs mix of Liverock and Flordia Reef Rock from John at ReefCleaners.org

1 x True Percula Clownfish

2 x Emerald Crabs

2 x Peppermint Shrimp

1 x Fire Shrimp

1 x 6 Line Wrasse R.I.P.

Assorted Snails and Hermits

IMG_8416.JPG

Empty Tank...

IMG_8414.JPG

RapidLED's Kit

IMG_8418.JPG

Starting to fill the tank

IMG_8424.JPG

002 TDS thanks to SpectraPure RO/DI system

IMG_8415.JPG

RO/DI System

IMG_8429.JPG

InTank Media and Fuge Basket

IMG_8435.JPG

Live Sand Added

IMG_8445.JPG

John at Reefcleaners.org was awesome with the rock selection

IMG_8455.JPG

Finished Product!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing really new while I'm waiting for the tank to cycle. I added some quick disconnects to the lights which makes taking the hood off much easier. Still having trouble with micro bubbles - I can't figure out where they are coming from, but hopefully once I add Purigen and Chemi-Pure to the media basket it will cut them down. The tank is running around 82 degrees with the lights on. I was hoping to keep it at or below 80 so I'll experiment with the back hood and home A/C.

Here are few more pics:

IMG_8528.JPG

Moonlights

IMG_8457.JPG

From the right side

IMG_8458.JPG

From the left side

Looks like you have some nice little caves and tunnels in your scape. Pictures can't really capture everything. I'm sure it looks even better in person.

Nice tank I love the lighting. What brand RO/DI system is that? Did that jug come with it?

It's a Spectrapure RO/DI unit. I snagged a refurbished model for $120. The jug is a part of a 3 gallon drinking water add-on kit. You don't need it, but it allows the unit to store RO/DI water and I don't have to disconnect and reconnect it every time.

Spectrapure Refurb Unit

Drinking Water Add-On Kit

NIce job! I'm building a 29 HQI Biocube right now so I feel u!

Nice looking tank yourself. I like the Tonga Branch...

Blazzin Reefer
Nice looking tank yourself. I like the Tonga Branch...

Sweet Thanks! I like the tonga because it creates lots of places to secure coral and holes the for fish to swim thru! Plus I have all extra space in all back chambers stuffed with small tonga, perfect for packing in small spaces!

• 2 weeks later...

Just tested the water and I'm cycled! Going to place an order from Reefcleaners.org on Monday to get CUC on the way. I don't have a lot of diatom bloom but figured I would get a head start. The water parameters are listed below and I'm happy with everything other than the high temperature and low calcium. I'm fairly confident that once I do a water change the nitrates and phosphates will go to zero (I also have Phosguard that I will start using) and the calcium will go up.

What I am worried about is the temperature. It's stays pretty constant between 83-84 regardless if the lights are on or off. I have no heater in the tank, it's not close to a window and the house stays at 74. I may turn off the skimmer tonight and see if that helps. Is there anyone else that has a problem with heat in their BioCube? My last resort would be to put a fan in the rear chamber, but I'm not sure how to mount it. Any feedback would be appreciated on this.

Temp: 83.9

Salinity: 1.023

PH: 8.0-8.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5-10ppm

Calcium: 280

KH: 125.3ppm

Phosphate: 0-.25

Just tested the water and I'm cycled! Going to place an order from Reefcleaners.org on Monday to get CUC on the way. I don't have a lot of diatom bloom but figured I would get a head start. The water parameters are listed below and I'm happy with everything other than the high temperature and low calcium. I'm fairly confident that once I do a water change the nitrates and phosphates will go to zero (I also have Phosguard that I will start using) and the calcium will go up.

What I am worried about is the temperature. It's stays pretty constant between 83-84 regardless if the lights are on or off. I have no heater in the tank, it's not close to a window and the house stays at 74. I may turn off the skimmer tonight and see if that helps. Is there anyone else that has a problem with heat in their BioCube? My last resort would be to put a fan in the rear chamber, but I'm not sure how to mount it. Any feedback would be appreciated on this.

Temp: 83.9

Salinity: 1.023

PH: 8.0-8.2

Nitrate: 5-10ppm

Calcium: 280

KH: 125.3ppm

Phosphate: 0-.25

i have to run mine with he back hatch open. If i dont it gets up to 82 or so. before my LED upgrade it ran at 82 with front and back hatch open. Keep an eye on your salinity as evaporation speeds up alot with a hatch open. Best of luck to ya!

i have to run mine with he back hatch open. If i dont it gets up to 82 or so. before my LED upgrade it ran at 82 with front and back hatch open. Keep an eye on your salinity as evaporation speeds up alot with a hatch open. Best of luck to ya!

Thanks Like-Fish. I ran the back hatch open today and it didn't seem to help. I'm going to crack the front hood and back tomorrow.

With your led's, do your fans blow in or out?

• 2 weeks later...

So, since I started the thread I guess I should at least keep it moderately updated... ;)

Last week I put in 2 peppermint shrimp, 2 emerald crabs and a six-line wrasse and CUC from Reefcleaners.org. All was well until Thursday at 7:30pm when my daylights go out and the moonlights kick on. When my daylights go out I also have my Hydor stop. Well, when I noticed the lights go off I also remembered that I hadn't fed yet, so I walked over and manually switched the timer on. When I did my Hydor came on, but it started spinning backwards! Sucking instead of blowing! :angry: As my luck would have it Mr. Razz was sucked through the pump and beat up pretty bad. He did manage to live for another 24 hrs but died sometime the next night. Now I'm fishless yet again. :(

I read a few posts from others who had this happened. The general consensus is the pump can start in reverse, but if kept clean, should hit some "back spin preventer" and fix itself. I've decided to just run it all the time until I can come up with a way to narrow the slots on the front guard. Such a horrible way for a fish to die! Might be an interesting topic "The worst way you've ever had a fish die"

On another note, everything else is doing great. Will replace Razz soon and also going to place an order from The Reef Gardener.

R.I.P. Razz-a-ma-tazz

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Sorry to hear about the fish death. I have the same issue with my Hydor pumps but i dont have any fish small enough to go inside em... I guess i should clean em more anyways but they are on all the time unless i feed so i just make sure they are blowing correct when I am finished.

New pics!

After the wrasse death-by-powerhead incident I decided to put a clown in. He's a little larger than the wrasse, plus rarely goes near the pump. Everything is the tank is doing really well so I placed an order on Reefgardener.com that will be delivered tomorrow. I've read some really good things about Morgan so I'm sure I'll be happy with my first coral order online. Below is the order summary:

1 x Liam's Orange Green Clove Polyps

1 x Larry Jackson Tricolor

1 x Rare Bicolor Frogspawn

1 x Green Star Polyps

1 x ORA Glowing Green Birdsnest

1 x Deep Blue Sanctithomae Mushroom

1 x Tyree Jesus Stag

1 x Baby Pink ricordia

1 x Reef Gardener Rose Garden Pocillopora

1 x Orange Eye Zoanthids

I also found a local reefer on craigslist and going on Saturday morning to pickup some Xenia and a Trumpet. Be looking for pics over the weekend, but for now enjoy some animal photos...

CUC from Reefcleaners.org. John is tha man!

IMG_8792.JPG

Hermit

IMG_8797.JPG

Schnapps the Peppermint Shrimp

IMG_8802.JPG

Omen the clownfish. Seriously he's hard to get a decent picture of....

IMG_8809.JPG

New Corals!!!

Received my order from Morgan at Reefgardner on Friday. I couldn't have been happier with the ordering, shipping and quality of the coral.

Water Parameters as of 4/1/2012

PH: 8.0

Nitrate: 0

Phosphate: 0

Calcium: 320

KH: 9

So here's my dilemma.. I've been trying to get my calcium up to 400-420 but my KH is rising as well. My concern is now keeping the KH from rising above 9. The rise in KH is most likely to my do a recent water change and I've also started dosing with Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium. I'll wait a couple of days and check the parameters again.

Pink Pulsing Pom-Pom Xenia.

IMG_8830.JPG

Larry Jackson Tricolor

IMG_8831.JPG

Tyree Jesus Stag

IMG_8832.JPG

Trumpet

IMG_8833.JPG

Green Birdsnest

IMG_8835.JPG

Frogspawn

IMG_8836.JPG

Zoanthids and Ricordia

IMG_8834.JPG

Thanks for following along!! This post brought to you by Coullion the Fire Shrimp.

IMG_8847.JPG

Archived