Coral Vue Hydros

Gritchie4's 25 Gallon Radion Powered

gritchie4

Hey Everyone. So I finally decided to get a bigger tank. I have purchased a custom Leemar tank from my LFS. It is 30x16x12 tank with a right corner overflow. Here are the plans:

Lighting:Ecotech Radion

Rockwork and Sand: Shallow cove rockwork with totoka and fiji rock. Sand is Tropic Eden reefflakes.

Water Movement: Vortech mp10Wes and return from the sump.

Livestock Plan: For fish I am going to go with 2 picasso clowns, a goby/pistol shrimp pair, and some sort of wrasse. Inverts will be the common CUC along with a cleaner shrimp and some porcelain crabs. Corals will be a mixed reef with more of a focus on LPS.

IMAG1756.jpg

Now comes question time. What kind of return pump should I get? I wil have around three feet of head height and the return pump will be on the same side of the overflow so only 1 90 degree elbow and probably 1 45 degree will be used. I just cant decide between eheim, mag-drive, or quiet one pumps.

you should get a mag return pump

Thats what I was thinking. Dont know what size though. The mag 7 at 3ft head height is about 500gph while the overflow is 600gph. Wondering if I could put a ball valve on the drain to control it or should I just get the mag 9.5 and put a ball valve on the return to control the flow a bit.

As long as you don't get a faster return than your overflow you'll be fine.

What are the dimensions of that tank, is it just a wider 20L? It looks really nice.

As long as you don't get a faster return than your overflow you'll be fine.

What are the dimensions of that tank, is it just a wider 20L? It looks really nice.

Thanks. I will probably go with a mag 9.5 and just tweak the flow with a gate valve or ball valve. The tank is 30x16x12. Not sure on the exact dimensions of the 20L but I think they are pretty close minus the width haha. I am very happy how it turned out. It has black acrylic on the back glass and bottom so I dont have to spray paint it. One less step to take.

• 3 weeks later...
So this is where the real tank build thread is. :P I will be following along. Look forward to seeing this tank up.

Haha James. I didnt even know you knew about this site. Yea this is where I spend most of my time.

:ninja:

You know it jg. If it wasnt for my tax return none of this would of been happening lol.

• 4 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

Very nice set up. That Mag 9.5 is huge for a tank that sized! Can you keep the overflow quiet? Generally, the less water going though the overflow the quieter it becomes.

Update!

Haha read below.

Very nice set up. That Mag 9.5 is huge for a tank that sized! Can you keep the overflow quiet? Generally, the less water going though the overflow the quieter it becomes.

Actually it is pretty quite. Not silent but quiet enough for me. Took me awhile to tune it tho with the ball valves.

UPDATE!!!!

Tank is set up and cycling. Next step is to mount the light. Im thinking of putting a shelf above the tank and mounting the light underneath it. Anyway here are some pics of the set up.

IMAG1752.jpg

IMAG1751.jpg

IMAG1753.jpg

IMAG1754.jpg

Lookin good man. Im jealous, I still havent gotten my bigger tank setup. Oh and btw you should get that helmet off that shelf cause it makes the tank look horrible haha.

Nice. Looking good.

Thanks. Hopefully I can start stocking it soon.

Lookin good man. Im jealous, I still havent gotten my bigger tank setup. Oh and btw you should get that helmet off that shelf cause it makes the tank look horrible haha.

Man that helmet makes the tank lol. Just wait until my Yankee stuff is on there haha

Archived