Pod Your Reef

My new Yellow Tang has a taste for clam...with vid

Mojorizn

So, i was wondering why my clam has been closed for a couple days. After parking myself in front of my tank for a bit, I discovered the reason. My YT, a recent addition, has a taste for clam.

No, it's not pecking at algae ... it's going after the clam ... actually into the shell.

I moved the clam up to my frag rack for now.

I'll catch that YT ...eventually. It's outta here. YT is well fed, pellet, mysis, nori in a clip, etc.

Didn't believe it till I actually saw it first hand.

Click the pic ... it's a short video. Best I could get outta of several attempts ...lol

February182012.jpg

Well, it's the exception I guess. Thinking of a DIY 3liter bottle fish trap with nori on a clip.

For now, i just suspended a net close to the clam to keep the YT away.

Second thought ... I'll just put the clam in the trap.

^DIY project for tomorrow^

Now that I'm onto it's behavior and been eyeballing it all friggin day ...that YT just can't leave it alone.

LOL .... what eats YT's, is reef safe and easily net-able...?

hmmm

I like the color my YT bring to my tank, but he it definitely pisses me off when it steals the food from my sun coral. Let me know how you plan on catching it.

Here fishy, fishy ....

3L bottle with bottom removed, mag float (my small one didn't have enough "grip"), some fishing line attached to the open end and of course the bait...

The YT has been checking it out .... just a matter of time ... I hope.

photo-%285%29.jpg

Here fishy, fishy ....

3L bottle with bottom removed, mag float (my small one didn't have enough "grip"), some fishing line attached to the open end and of course the bait...

The YT has been checking it out .... just a matter of time ... I hope.

photo-(5).jpg

haha genius. His favorite snack.

Nori is close to the opening. YT has been circling the trap all day eyeballing the clam.

I'm in no great hurry....

Clam is protected and happy, plus my YT's new home doesn't open till tomorrow anyway.

I can wait it out. Let it go in a few times, get a little routine going ....BAM ...C YA.

And we have capture....

Moved the Nori into the trap...let him go in a couple times...pulled the fishing line...done deal.

I'll transfer it to a breeder net, then off to my LFS in the morning.

Well ...that's how ya catch a YT I guess ... lol

photo%20%286%29.JPG

is that a white euphyllia i spy in your tank?!? there is another!

Actually, one is your standard greenish and the other is pink.

The green one grows like crazy and is my "store credit" coral. The pink is a slow grower.

Had them both for years and fragged many, many times.

Didn't have to.

I had fishing line tied to the open end. He went in ... I pulled up the line tipping the bottle upwards and bringing the open end above the water line. Just set a net on top in case it tried to jump so I could get it into a holding pen. He was too big to swim through the pouring end.

Clam has been open and happy for the past two days.

I'm all paranoid about trying another YT..lol.

Sure would like one.

This was my second as the first got a little on the big side for my tank...sold it off and went without for a few months. Then got this clam killer of a YT.

Think i'll let it ride as is for now ...2 B&W Clowns and a Red Flame Hawk (65g)

Clam has been open and happy for the past two days.

I'm all paranoid about trying another YT..lol.

Sure would like one.

This was my second as the first got a little on the big side for my tank...sold it off and went without for a few months. Then got this clam killer of a YT.

Think i'll let it ride as is for now ...2 B&W Clowns and a Red Flame Hawk (65g)

Maybe try a kole tang instead? Great job on catching the yellow with the bottle trap.

Yea, that was a thought as well.

I did read about some Kole's that developed a taste for clams, snails and the like also.

Just goes to show that there are no guarantees in this hobby.

Archived