SaltCritters.com

AP's 20L

aap15

Hey Everyone. I’ve been working on getting things together to setup my new 20 Long. I started a Fluval Edge back in November, however it is just too small for me. It is a cool looking tank but imo it is hard to work in and just not enough room so I wanted to move to something bigger.

I pick up a 20L a month ago and have been slowly getting pieces here and there to setup and start the cycle. There will not be a sump with this setup. I modded an AC70 as a fuge and will do religious weekly WC’s, possibly adding a HOB skimmer as well. I have ordered a DIY LED kit from AquaStyle that I am expecting sometime next week hopefully. I plan on seeding with the larger pieces of rock from my Edge and the transferring everything else after the cycle. I hope to get water in it this weekend and start things up.

Only thing is…..I am never happy with my own aqua scape. I see others and think, “That looks great!”. But then when I go to do my own my patience runs short and I’m never happy with it. Below are two that I came up with trying to incorporate some caves and arches. Anyone have any feedback on either of these two scapes? (Not sure how much rock is in there, I purchased 22lbs but not all is incorporated). I like the minimalist look (wihich neither below is) but everytime i attemp it I feel it needs more. Just dont know what to do. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Scape 1

2012-01-30200746.jpg

Scape 2

2012-02-01223034.jpg

#2 and account for the space you'll need with your algae scraper.

I guess it is hard to tell from the picture but there is plenty of room for a scraper...atleast I got one thing right :lol:

I like the 1st scape more
I like #1.
changed my mind... #1 oh its so difficult to decide lol

I was leaning towards scape 1 aw well, however i like the look of the left side in scape 2....so i change a few things and came up with this last night...I think we have a winner!

2012-02-02182904.jpg

Since I will be using some of the larger piece of LR from my other tank to seed this one my final scape wont look quite like this but i am gonna try to keep it am similar as possible (the left side will definitely stay the same)

Heres an fts of my edge that I will be transfering to the 20 once its cycled

2012-02-03201248.jpg

I like the new scape you came up with. Also, is that an E46 I see in the profile pic?

Edit : On a second look it seems more like an E36, but the picture it quite small haha

I like the new scape you came up with. Also, is that an E46 I see in the profile pic?

Edit : On a second look it seems more like an E36, but the picture it quite small haha

Is that really a 20g? Looks like you took the top trim off? I did the same for my qt tank and have not had any problem

Is that really a 20g? Looks like you took the top trim off? I did the same for my qt tank and have not had any problem

Yeah its a 20L that I took the rim off.

@ jeremy0322, the car in my profile pic is an 06 WRX...not a BMW, sorry haha

Tank is up and cycling...gonna need to make a couple adjustmeants but overall im happy with how things are looking. Will post up a pic of how the scape is lookin a little later.

Well here is where the tank stands. Big heater is just temporary and im gonna need a different pump then what I have now. Thinking of just droppin the cash on an mp10 but we'll see...

On to the fts. First day of the cycle.

2012-02-05171847.jpg

Is that the final scape? Because I really like it. I always like having multiple islands. It just looks more realistic to me since alot of shallow reefs are patch reefs with large areas of open sand.

Very awesome.

Multiple islands are nice to house GSP or xenia so it doesn't overtake everything else. My scape is a continuous setup, and I wish I had someplace to put those two.

Is that the final scape? Because I really like it. I always like having multiple islands. It just looks more realistic to me since alot of shallow reefs are patch reefs with large areas of open sand.

Very awesome.

Multiple islands are nice to house GSP or xenia so it doesn't overtake everything else. My scape is a continuous setup, and I wish I had someplace to put those two.

Looks great! I am a big fan of the final rock scape!

Keep us posted! :D

Thanks. I think i and going to keep this as my final scape. I like the two island look. I may add a small 1 rock island between the two bigger ones either to the front or back of the tank but im not sure yet.

Also as a side note, picked up a nice green florida ricordea at the LFS when I went to get my sand saturday. They charge $15/polyp so if it has multiple mouths but isnt spilt its considered one. I got one that has 5 mouths, its huge! Thought it was a good pick up for $15

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that you are going to do an aqua-styles led kit for this. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I have a 20L myself and may get one of those kits. Just don't know which one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Tank has cycled but im still gonna wait a few weeks before transferring things over. Changed up the scape a little and finished my Aquastyles 24 dimmable kit and got it hung up. Looks good and im pleased, however if i were to do it over i think i would get the 36 kit and a longer heatsink just to get better coverage.

Anyways....here is a crappy pic off my phone. Obviously the color is not great in the pic, not that blue.

2012-02-25184344-1.jpg

• 7 months later...

Wow it has been forever since i did any updates on this tank. Well i got everything moved over awhile ago...about 6 months ago lol and everything has done great. Over the summer i did lose a Lobo that i pickup do to a power outage that lasted about 3 days but everything else made it.

Being that i have been working out of town during the week for about the past 5 months, the tank has pretty much been on auto pilot and i currently have no fish but my invert and coral stock looks like this

CUC

Snails

Blue Legged Hermit

Emerald Crab

Peppermint Shrimp

Coral

Antheia

Zoas (Eagle Eye, Radioactive Dragoneye, Reds, Blues)

Frogspawn

Hammer

3 Acan frags

GSP

Fungia

Candy Cane

Purple Digitata

Purple Acro

Green Acro

Neon Green Polyp Toadstool

Rhicordea shrooms

Mircomussa frag

Encrusting gorgonia

And a RBTA

FTS's (sorry for the crappy phone pics)

IMG_20120930_143639.jpg

2012-10-07182747.jpg

Zoas, Anthelia, Frogspawn, GSP, Mussa

IMG_20120930_145351.jpg

When/why did you put the rim back on it?

Its actually a different tank then the one i started with. Twp weeks into the cycle I noticed a scratch/crack on the side glass near the back corner on the tank i had removed the rim on. It didnt appear to be anything to worry about but the last thing i wanted was to come home to a living room with soaked carpet. So i went and got another tank and moved everything just to be safe.

I still have the other tank and it appears that it is just scratched. I have be thinking about possibly doing some type of shallow FW planted tank with it at some point.

Archived