Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

8g Biocube LED retro build

lynxer

Thought id share some pics of my 9x 3w LED retro in my BC8, DIM4 powered, enjoy!

Specs:

3x Bridgelux NW

6x Bridgelux RB

Power:

DIM4

Controller:

DIM4

Pics:

Img_111215123234.jpg

Img_111215123246.jpg

Img_111215123256.jpg

Img_111215123315.jpg

Img_111217175811.jpg

Img_111221194930.jpg

Img_111221194944.jpg

Img_111221205918.jpg

Img_111218180613.jpg

Img_111222190646.jpg

SANY0020.jpg

Looks great but odd you'd wire it up before being placed on the heat sink :P

Turned out to be way easier, the leds are quite small!

You'll love those LEDs.

Ive been using them for about 2 weeks now, and i love the color! the DIM4's ability to power and controll the leds without a driver (up to 12, 3 per channel in series) lets you dial in the perfect color.

My zoas love them, and my yuma shrooms are making a nice recovery from being buried at the LFS.

Overall im 100% satisfied with the build/purchase. Thanks again to Milad @ LEDgroupbuy for his help.

Hello

looks great!

I'm in the process of ordering leds for my bc8. What are the dimensions of your heatsink and would you recommend that size if you were doing it again? Thanks

do you have any pics of how the light looks in the aquarium?

I've been looking for a better LED solution for my Fluval Edge 12g and this seems to be the ticket. Very elegant and straight forward. I need to be able to house the entire setup within the hood that comes with my tank in order to maintain aesthetics. Obviously it needs to be brighter than the stock lighting that I have.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

I've been looking for a better LED solution for my Fluval Edge 12g and this seems to be the ticket. Very elegant and straight forward. I need to be able to house the entire setup within the hood that comes with my tank in order to maintain aesthetics. Obviously it needs to be brighter than the stock lighting that I have.

My favorite Fluval edge build: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=288026

Also some more builds for ideas: LED DIY Builds

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I'm starting to really like the idea of this DIY and from what I'm reading these cree LEDs should put out a whole lot more light than the stock LED setup that comes with the Edge 12g. Now if only there were a comparison out there...

What do you recommend for color combination? I want to try to not limit myself as to what I can keep in this aquarium.

PS. Sorry, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread!

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Now if only there were a comparison out there...

You cant compare the LEDs lynxer used and the stock edge lighting. Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Bicycle. One has an engine and one use pedal with your feet.

Looks good but the yellow wires caught my attention, I would have gone with black to mask some of it and prolly glue them down instead of screwing. The likeliness of an LED going out is very slim IMO and if it does, chisel it off! Can't wait to get started on my build.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Really?! It's that different? I figured the stock LED bar was pretty decent although not quite enough to keep most coral.

Yup. Unless my understanding is wrong they are only 21 5mm LEDs correct? A couple Google searches and I cant find the exact details. Thats designed for a freshwater fish tank.

Looks good but the yellow wires caught my attention, I would have gone with black to mask some of it and prolly glue them down instead of screwing. The likeliness of an LED going out is very slim IMO and if it does, chisel it off! Can't wait to get started on my build.

You actually don't need a chisel, just a swift hit with a screw driver to the LED board and it will come right off.

Oh yeah something like that. Well I guess that settles it haha. DIY seems to be the way to go then. When I get around to it I might have to post a build for you guys since there doesn't seem to be many LED mods yet for the 12g edge

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Oh yeah something like that. Well I guess that settles it haha. DIY seems to be the way to go then. When I get around to it I might have to post a build for you guys since there doesn't seem to be many LED mods yet for the 12g edge

Yup defiantly post what you are thinking, lots of guys on here are very helpful!

Hello

looks great!

I'm in the process of ordering leds for my bc8. What are the dimensions of your heatsink and would you recommend that size if you were doing it again? Thanks

4.23" x 7" worked perfect for 9 leds.

You could go slightly longer and still fit in the hood, but i would not suggest going and wider. If you want to run 12 leds id ad 1-2" on the length, anymore than 2" and you might not get it in the hood.

My tank journal:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=290687

I had the yellow wire laying around so free is always a plus in my book! i think it makes it look more "scientific" haha..

Archived