Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I'll Try Not To Love Our Fish More Than You - Our First 20

AndeWonderland

AndeWonderland

Welcome!

6644016585_8e2e5edd3f.jpg

Our first fish tank!! by fish tank 20, on Flickr

HI! After Months of talking and deciding we needed to do a hobby together, and much skulking around the other member threads, my boyfriend and I have decided that we needed to do something bigger. We've kept our seven gallon running on my desk for almost a year now, and we feel it's time for coral and just a few more fish.

In our current seven gallon we have:

A peppermint shrimp

One Misbar Clown

One Chromis

A Pom Pom Crab

and A Sea Urchin (Along with several assorted CUC snails and Hermits)

Specs:

1 20 Gal Glass Aquarium from Petco

2 bags of Australian Gold Live Sand

5 Pounds of Uncured live rock just to start (We're poor college students who sling tacos for a living... time is required)

1 Elite 100 Watt Heater

Fluval C3 Filter

Odyssea T5 HO light fixture

To Be Added soon -

Koralia 550 Powerhead

We've been going back and forth on whether or not we'd like to go topless or not.

Please go ahead and give suggestions, we'll post pictures of our seven gallon soon :lol: We're still working out the kinks!

That all sounds great so far! Glad you started a thread.

If you're considering going topless, you need consider what fish you want to keep. Some fish are known for jumping and you'd definitely need a lid with those. Even if you go topless with fish that aren't known to be jumpers, it can still happen. Its always a risk so you'll have to weigh how you think it looks versus the potential for fish jumping.

Hey congrats on the new 20. Very cool that you are going to do it together. All fish can jump, so if you go topless you could do a DIY net thingy.

AndeWonderland

Hey you guys! Thanks for visiting our thread!

I think we are going to go for a lid - Felicia where did you get yours? I can't seem to find the right size anywhere! And it's going to be important because we keep eyeing some Helfrich Firefish. We really don't need a jumper!

I wanted to go topless but I have too many possible jumpers to try it. We cut a piece of eggcrate and have it as a top. Works very well and allows the tank to keep cool.

AndeWonderland
I wanted to go topless but I have too many possible jumpers to try it. We cut a piece of eggcrate and have it as a top. Works very well and allows the tank to keep cool.

Thats a great idea too! Thanks FlCandy! ;)

AndeWonderland

Thank you guys for being so helpful! Here's the picture of the tank all settled. I'm cleaning our 7 gallon tomorrow morning, so i'll take a FTV of all of our little "babies".

We just got off of work, and we're both so excited to be doing this, it's almost the only thing we've talked about today :happy:

*Edit* We're still debating on what we want to stock. We know we want to get a mate for our clownfish, but were kicking around different gobies. We both think that most species are totally adorable. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what kind is the best?

6651507537_a14a16dfe1.jpg

Settled Tank by fish tank 20, on Flickr

I usually don't like backgrounds on tanks, but I actually really like how that one looks. :) Your tank is going to be awesome! All I do is talk about my upgrade, so its not just you guys. :lol:

I personally really like my yellow watchman goby, but all the species are very cute. I will have to say that I'd definitely vote for one that can pair with a pistol shrimp though, because the interaction between the two is so cute and entertaining. That's just my 2 cents :)

get yourself a powerhead :) obviously your in the works.. Yellow Watchmans are awesome, once paired with a pistol good luck seeing them if its not feeding time.

There are several goby species that would go well in the tank. But keeping a nice bottom dweller will be great with clowns.

• 2 weeks later...
AndeWonderland

So we are totally the worst updaters ever. We've been cycling, did a half water change today. Diatome bloom has come and gone. And a few days ago we even saw a bristle worm. :happy: Everything was good, so we took our water in today and everything was at ZERO! So we ended up coming home with four nassarius snails

6733300189_263137b0a4.jpg

photo (7) by fish tank 20, on Flickr

and we moved over half the rock formation from our seven gallon, creating a small cave on one side. We're still waiting on the base rock. So i already know its wrong we didn't wait to introduce the snails, or our chromis, but i wanted to sand to be stirred up because it is pretty deep, and it was making me nervous to see the bubbles beneath the surface not be released. Here are some more pictures for now :D

6733299481_dfd647deb7.jpg

photo (6) by fish tank 20, on Flickr

before we moved everythign

6733298339_9d13d5e3a4.jpg

photo (4) by fish tank 20, on Flickr

6733375047_54b9d47700.jpg

photo (8) by fish tank 20, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
AndeWonderland

Just added in our Koralia 425 :]. Pictures to come later, we're still working on how we want it positioned. Any suggestions?

AndeWonderland

The rock should be here in the next few days, we ordered another ten pounds, because there's still some in our other tank we're holding onto.

The boyfriend is still looking at different fish, he can't seem to decide now, it's actually funny now to see him get so excited about this!

really lovely

and thank you :D

AndeWonderland

It's really driving me crazy waiting for this order of rock. We can't finish moving everything else over until it's here and ready!!!

Still researching other fish to add to the aquarium. My boyfriend is pretty set on getting a red scooter dragonet even though it means the addition of a HOB refugium to grow copepods. We're also looking at royal grammas, is there anyone that has any input on those? Thanks you guys!

AndeWonderland

Rock arrived today, just waiting for the boyfriend to get out of school. Staying home from work tonight after an unfortunate ingestion of something i'm allergic to. :/ Pics to follow later.

AndeWonderland

Yay for updating! :D

So everything and everyone has been moved over and acclimated! *parteh time* Our finger leather and Zoa frag from our seven gallon... but before i get ahead of myself, the rock came in! I really cannot say how much i really loved the eco reef saver rock from bulkreefsupply.com. It fit together like a dream! I loved the way it fit together with the rock we already have.

6839783293_fc97951b85.jpg

photo (10) by ourtank, on Flickr

Here is before we added the last piece over from our seven gallon

6839784483_d834ed77aa.jpg

photo (11) by ourtank, on Flickr

Everyone was moved over without a hitch except for, Knuckles, our sea urchin. He was the BIGGEST PITA ever. But now he looks happy and keeps drifting over to the powerhead. he likes to chill right above it. Both crabs have established territory, our boxing crab is off to the left side and the emerald crab is off to the right.

6839787071_2cbfb851da.jpg

photo (14) by ourtank, on Flickr

Now here are the rest of the pictures, including some of our kitten trying to drink out of the seven gallon tank -

6839781997_a5fd991d77.jpg

photo (9) by ourtank, on Flickr

6839786623_9d8604c9ee.jpg

photo (13) by ourtank, on Flickr

There's my hand - trying to pick up Knuckles

6839785529_9313f47388.jpg

photo (12) by ourtank, on Flickr

6848844739_aa9ea2cbcf.jpg

photo (17) by ourtank, on Flickr

AND A VIDEO!

Thanks for the help you guys! The next thing we're going to do is start adding pods by the end of the month. We want to seed it so we can pick up a red scooter dragonet.

*Edit* I forgot to mention that we got a new clown for our tank. Hes so cute, and his name is Mr. Darcy. Immediately Nancy took to him - and even protected him from our overly curious peppermint shrimp. It's adorable.

Thanks for the help you guys! The next thing we're going to do is start adding pods by the end of the month. We want to seed it so we can pick up a red scooter dragonet.

Don't do this. This tank isn't large enough to sustain enough pods for a scooter blenny or dragonet. If you had a 20gal refugium that you seeded with pods on a weekly basis maybe, but leave those for larger tanks. Alternatively find a dragonet or scooter that has been trained to eat frozen or pellets.

• 2 months later...
AndeWonderland

we haven't updated in a while so our tank is kind of old news but heres a video from the 11th!

we added a small derasa clam who is now completely opened and then today a large zoa frag, and a hawaiian feather duster worm. Everything looks so awesome! Also not seen in the video is my boyfriends engineering goby, whom i have come to despise but can't seem to muster up the courage to trade him to someone else or sell him back to the fish store.

Builder Anthony

dont like the enginer?i had one a few years ago it was huge then i gave it to my freind because i moved....I dont think you could cacth him anyways .Maybe once it gets its pattern youll like it.I didnt wacth the entire video but it might have its stripes...oonce they get those it looks cool.

dont like the enginer?i had one a few years ago it was huge then i gave it to my freind because i moved....I dont think you could cacth him anyways .Maybe once it gets its pattern youll like it.I didnt wacth the entire video but it might have its stripes...oonce they get those it looks cool.

AndeWonderland

Don't get me wrong, he is very cute with his singular vertical stripe. My main problem with him is the fact he is ruining the deep sandbed i was trying to cultivate. And no i can't catch him, even if i actually put some effort into it. :P

Archived