Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Old live rock

andrewguilfoy

andrewguilfoy

Just bought a tank off a guy on craigslist. He threw in 35lbs live rock. It was sitting in his driveway when he gave it to me lol. It still smells like the sea. Could this stuff be brought back to life. Let it cycle for a month?

It's in my garage right now on the floor.

Keep in mind I am a little weary. This guy gave me a box of his chemicals, test kits, you know extras.. He has a lot of stuff for ick in there, and cyano. This rock has got to have remains of at least some of his past problems..

ANy suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

initial_reefer
Just bought a tank off a guy on craigslist. He threw in 35lbs live rock. It was sitting in his driveway when he gave it to me lol. It still smells like the sea. Could this stuff be brought back to life. Let it cycle for a month?

It's in my garage right now on the floor.

Keep in mind I am a little weary. This guy gave me a box of his chemicals, test kits, you know extras.. He has a lot of stuff for ick in there, and cyano. This rock has got to have remains of at least some of his past problems..

ANy suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

when in doubt dry it out

andrewguilfoy

So what do you guys suggest just let it sit in the sun? Should I boil any of it first?

There was someone on 3reef I think it was had like this very elaborate procedure lol. of bleaching and bleaching again. In the end it was almost an 8 day process.. Im with you guys though just boiling it in some freshwater and drying it out, maybe scrub too to get some of that die off

andrewguilfoy

Yeah i'm not going to bleach it. I think his 8 day method was really showing you how you COULD use bleach if you wanted..

If it was just sitting in his driveway then it isnt live rock. I would suggest washing it off drying it out and recuring it with a piece of live rock in its own tank. No matter how long you boil it or wash it there is still going to be material that you cannot get out which is why it needs its own tank/container.

andrewguilfoy

well... it was "live".. once. I can tell what that fiji stuff looks like just from the texture. He just let it sit out far too long.. The guy I got it from told me "yeah I had algae all over my rock, you know once you get it you can never get rid of it" I was like ehhh. Not true. Depends on how bad it was/kind of algae.

He traveled a lot. There is a #### ton of Coraline all over the equipment he gave away. I'm guessing he had a good run and it crashed somehow. But I just don't wanna inherit his problems if this rock is bad. I'm going to dry it out this week.

andrewguilfoy

So if I dry this stuff out. It "is" going to still have life on it yes? I mean if I get a salt water bath ready, powerhead and heater. Is it going to be clean and fresh like regular dry rock? or am I going to see nitrites from the die off/start of a cycle?

treat it like base rock.....

you have no idea if dude had a phosphate problem or not.

leave it in a tub for like a month and let it cycle in there. change the water alot too.

some say that its not worth the trouble/risk to start a system with rock like that, but the price was right, so why not.

What I would do.... Put it in a tank. Put a #### load of hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for 3 for 4 days........ Then I would boil. And then try to cycle. Alot of water changes and then check if has phosphate problems. It's my opinion. But I also feel that it's not worth what it is. I'd just sell and buy some reefcleaners dry rocks. Don't be silly wrap your willy my dad always said. So I'd be safe then sorry

treat it or trash it, dont pawn it off on someone else.

if you have the room just drop it into a 5g bucket or tub with water and let it set.....change the water often

andrewguilfoy

Like BLoCkCliMbeR said. The price was pretty right. The guy gave me like 1200 bucks worth of stuff for $225, basically his whole 46 bow, stand, fixture, protein skimmer, fluval 305, powerheads, bunch of test kits, chemicals, the works.. Said his wife was complaining about money, I don't know! personal.

The dry stuff IS nice. But I do like a challenge with this stuff haha. It blends better since it's fiji, all I have to do is get live fiji and it looks like is was made for each other.

He just had an algae problem, but have no idea what. I really want to rid of his past. I feel if I just put it in a bucket, something might come back.. So boiling it doesn't kill everything? This stuff is that tough?

its not that boiling doesnt kill the stuff, its the fact that the rock can harbor "nutrients"

be it left over organic stuff or phosphates, it can fuel a "rebirth"

this is why alot of folks just toss problem rocks away.

if i had a go at it, i would just soak it in FW for a month, with water changes, maybe even some phosphate media in there.

THEN, i would cycle it in SW.

doin FW first in an attempt to rid it of phosphates is more of a convenience thing. cheaper too.

andrewguilfoy

Gotcha. He had a lot of phosphate chems/media I'm guessing that he fought it for a while. Oh well, I may give a go at letting it sit. It's in a bucket now. But basically I will try not to get my hopes too high. ;) thanks guys for the help. If anything else comes up/anyone has anything else in mind. I'll keep a look out for posts.

I do have a HOT mag I might run some of the phos ban he had

edit: btw this is the bleach idea on 3reef. Thought you guys would like to see it. Seems it could work out? I may try http://www.3reef.com/forums/live-rock/reus...rock-37810.html

throw it in the back of a toilet for a month, so whenever you flush it will change out the water, or just set up the tank with the rock and test your skillz at resolving problems.

andrewguilfoy
throw it in the back of a toilet for a month, so whenever you flush it will change out the water, or just set up the tank with the rock and test your skillz at resolving problems.

Hahah. I wish I could "like" posts on here.

Archived