SaltCritters.com

Ryan's 28 NanoCube

rbokros

Ok, so I am fairly new to the Nano-Reef family as a participant, even though I have relied on the forums and articles for a long time! I have now recently joined in on the fun in 2 different ways here....

I have joined the Aqua Illuminations Club....in which I am PROUD to be a member because I LOVE my AI LED's.

I have also joined in on the Unofficial Wal-Mart Pico Contest, which I am excited about, check out my thread on that one here.

So....without any further a-do.....here is my 28 gal NanoCube:

6383621539_f78d136ec7.jpg

a brief list of Inhabitants:

Paired True Perc Clowns

Mini Diamond Goby

Dispar Anthia (female I believe)

Neon Green BTA (hosted by my clowns)

various corals, but my pride and joy are:

ORA Red Planet

ORA Birds of Paradise

ORA Hyacinth Birdsnest

Rainbow Milli

Derasa Clam

ORA Frogskin Acro

Jap Dendro

Creamsicle Favia

Strawberry Limeade Chalice

Nuclear Green Zoas

Purple Haze Zoas

Japanese Eagle Eye Zoas

and others.....

Equipment:

JBJ 28gal NanoCube

MP10ws

AI Nano

JBJ ATO

BioCube Skimmer (although I wish I could find something better that didn't stick up over the top of the back of the tank)

I will get some more pictures up as soon as I get a new battery for my DSLR....it went bad and required a little work on the camera due to a short (or something). This pic is taken with my iPhone 4S and is a little white balance heavy....more to come!!!

As I said, I will try to get better pics of my tank and the different corals here soon. Thanks for checking me out!!

• 2 weeks later...
Tank looks great... How are your SPS liking the light? What %s are you at? I am planning on adding some SPS in the near future.

Thank you so much!!!!

So far they like it pretty good....I took it slow over about a month to aclimate them. With that said, my ORA Bird Of Paradise has lost a little of its green body, so I am moving it down a little. My milli's are coloring up VERY nice and my ORA Red Planet LOVES the intense light...the colors are amazing. I am still not dialed up to 100% and I am about 2 months into getting the light. At max mid day settings: WH-85% BL-60% RY-70%. I am still playing a bit with this and trying to get the 12k to 14k-ish look during the mid day setting and working my way to a 20k blend into the evening. I love at night setting the blues to about 3% and the royals at 1% and staring mesmerized at the 'glow'.

Tank looks great, light is pretty sharp.. I was looking into them but unsure if I want to go lid-less on my tank.

Did you look into the hydor slim skim nano skimmer? Not sure if its bigger than your looking for but looks pretty small.

• 1 month later...

Looks awesome! How many pounds of rock did your initial scape use? I'm setting up my first tank it's also a 28 gallon Nano Cube. I think I'm over doing the rock. Yours looks so "high" or is that an illusion created by livestock?

I hope my tank looks half as good.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much!!!!

So far they like it pretty good....I took it slow over about a month to aclimate them. With that said, my ORA Bird Of Paradise has lost a little of its green body, so I am moving it down a little. My milli's are coloring up VERY nice and my ORA Red Planet LOVES the intense light...the colors are amazing. I am still not dialed up to 100% and I am about 2 months into getting the light. At max mid day settings: WH-85% BL-60% RY-70%. I am still playing a bit with this and trying to get the 12k to 14k-ish look during the mid day setting and working my way to a 20k blend into the evening. I love at night setting the blues to about 3% and the royals at 1% and staring mesmerized at the 'glow'.

Hi rbokros,

Are you still at the same light setting? Can you post your timer and intensity settings? Trying to figure out what's best.... It' been tough.

Thanks

reesestewww - I have been playing with it a little. I took the intensity down a touch as it looked like some of my SPS that were higher up might have been bleaching slightly (so to be more safe than sorry, I dialed it down a hair). Below is my settings for a 24 hour light cycle:

Timer 1 - 9am W25 B30 R30 240m ramp

Timer 2 - 1pm W70 B60 R60 130m ramp (this is my max settings)

Timer 3 - 3pm W45 B60 R60 60m ramp

Timer 4 - 5pm W20 B45 R45 60m ramp

Timer 5 - 7pm W05 B30 R30 180m ramp

Timer 6 - 9pm W00 B03 R02 60m ramp

Timer 7 - 12am W0 B01 R01 30m ramp

So, that is it. Some would say that my light cycle is long, but if you look at the majority of it happens between 9am and 6pm....the evenings are mostly blue (actinic like). So far it is working for me...so I plan on leaving this timing set up for a while and just keep an eye on things. I will say, my LPS and Zoas really like this lighting because the colors are coming out beautifully!!

I hope that helps!

Hope you can help me out on this ? I posted this but got no response.

Hi. Have had my JBJ 28hqi set up for about 3 months and have a few questions:

#1 How can you get down in the bottom on the rear chambers where the pumps go to clean out the sediment build up?

#2 Why can I not seem to keep the water level in the main tank the same. Seems like one day it will be just right where no water is overflowing the middle chamber where the media is and the next day it will be almost to the top of the overflow grates and overflowing the middle chamber?

I have floss in the first chamber chem pure next then purgen, jbj ato and aslo the in tank media basket. I have on mj1200 and one mj900 running all the time and for some reason it always seems to look like the are particles floating around the water column. I do about 5 gallon water change each week, all parameters in check, corals and fish seem to be doing great.

Any info or advice would be great.

reesestewww - I have been playing with it a little. I took the intensity down a touch as it looked like some of my SPS that were higher up might have been bleaching slightly (so to be more safe than sorry, I dialed it down a hair). Below is my settings for a 24 hour light cycle:

Timer 1 - 9am W25 B30 R30 240m ramp

Timer 2 - 1pm W70 B60 R60 130m ramp (this is my max settings)

Timer 3 - 3pm W45 B60 R60 60m ramp

Timer 4 - 5pm W20 B45 R45 60m ramp

Timer 5 - 7pm W05 B30 R30 180m ramp

Timer 6 - 9pm W00 B03 R02 60m ramp

Timer 7 - 12am W0 B01 R01 30m ramp

So, that is it. Some would say that my light cycle is long, but if you look at the majority of it happens between 9am and 6pm....the evenings are mostly blue (actinic like). So far it is working for me...so I plan on leaving this timing set up for a while and just keep an eye on things. I will say, my LPS and Zoas really like this lighting because the colors are coming out beautifully!!

I hope that helps!

rbokros,

Thanks for the response. I've been really trying to dial in my LED schedule. Its been a challenge. On top of all that, I've had a crash and lost a number of SPS colonies. Anyways here's my current schedule. I will increase a couple of the settings b/c the zoo's and mushrooms are really stretching for the light.

Screenshot2012-01-18at100353PM.png

Stretch!

photo-506.png

Archived