inTank Media Baskets

DCG1286's 93G Cube

DCG1286

Well it's been a while since I have been around these parts!!! I believe my last big tank thread was my 120G ... then I upgraded that system to a 150G ... then brought it back down to a 93G Cube! Out of all of the tanks I have owned this has to be, without a doubt, my favorite.

Anyways, enough of that ...

Tank Specs:

-Marineland 93G Cube (30x30x24")

-Custom sump

-Custom stand

-Vertex IN-180 Skimmer

-Giesemann Infiniti 250W MH Fixture (+ 4x24W T-5's)

-Vortech MP-40W ES

Fish:

1x Golden Rhomboid Wrasse

1x Melanarus Wrasse

1x Scott's Fairy Wrasse

1x Yellow Coris Wrasse

1x Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse

1x Rose-band Fairy Wrasse

1x Yellow Belly Hippo Tang

2x Green Chromis

3x Blue-Eyed Cardinal Fish

Corals:

SPS dominated, with a few LPS and Zoas

30-35lbs Live Sand

60-70lbs Live Rock

I originally started the tank off with two Aquaillumination SOL White LED units ... but to be honest with everyone I was NOT completely satisfied overall with the color and growth I saw out of my SPS ... so I switched back to MH. I will definitely give LED's another try in the future, but for the time being I am keeping my good ol' fashioned halides.

Enjoy!

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

FIRST COMMENT WOOO!

it looks awesome matey, I was wondering the other day if you're still about (dunno if you remember me, I used to live in Dubai and I had that huge tabling millepora I collected)

I've moved to London now, got a tiny little cube now :D

totally jelous of the AI's, do you have a controller?

FIRST COMMENT WOOO!

it looks awesome matey, I was wondering the other day if you're still about (dunno if you remember me, I used to live in Dubai and I had that huge tabling millepora I collected)

I've moved to London now, got a tiny little cube now :D

totally jelous of the AI's, do you have a controller?

Hey!!! What's going on?! :)

Thanks for the comment ... Actually, if you can believe it, I sold those AI's off to go back to a Metal Halide fixture! lol. I wasn't too impressed with the SOL whites, and yes I did have the controller for it. They were really cool to play around with, but as far as the colors of the SPS, I wasn't able to achieve the same look I got under MH.

How are you enjoying London? :D

Hey!!! What's going on?! :)

Thanks for the comment ... Actually, if you can believe it, I sold those AI's off to go back to a Metal Halide fixture! lol. I wasn't too impressed with the SOL whites, and yes I did have the controller for it. They were really cool to play around with, but as far as the colors of the SPS, I wasn't able to achieve the same look I got under MH.

How are you enjoying London? :D

haha! I prefer LED's to be honest, I'm running PAR38s but I want the controllability, I'm getting zeovit colors in my current tank, with 7 fish in a 7 gallon, it's quite fantastic really, biopearls are a beast.

I'm loving it, starting uni this week and I've got a job now too which helps, you still in the Big Apple?

Another tank from DCG! omgomgomg

Awesome!

I know it's a terrible thing :( lol.

Thanks for the comment!

At least this tank will stay with me for a while (more then a year ;) ) I really love the cube tanks, I wish when I was looking around that someone would have put a 150 cube up for sale ... but in either case this tank really rocks!

haha! I prefer LED's to be honest, I'm running PAR38s but I want the controllability, I'm getting zeovit colors in my current tank, with 7 fish in a 7 gallon, it's quite fantastic really, biopearls are a beast.

I'm loving it, starting uni this week and I've got a job now too which helps, you still in the Big Apple?

I DEFINITELY want to go back to LED's at some point. Without a doubt! I have seen these Reeftech fixtures in action at a local shop along with a friend who bought a couple of them, they look soooooo sexy!

How do you like the biopearls? I have been doing the MB7/Reef Biofuel, and some Zeo additives, but was really curious as to trying one of the many brands of biopellets.

I am still here! NY ROCKS! lol.

I know it's a terrible thing :( lol.

Thanks for the comment!

At least this tank will stay with me for a while (more then a year ;) ) I really love the cube tanks, I wish when I was looking around that someone would have put a 150 cube up for sale ... but in either case this tank really rocks!

I DEFINITELY want to go back to LED's at some point. Without a doubt! I have seen these Reeftech fixtures in action at a local shop along with a friend who bought a couple of them, they look soooooo sexy!

How do you like the biopearls? I have been doing the MB7/Reef Biofuel, and some Zeo additives, but was really curious as to trying one of the many brands of biopellets.

I am still here! NY ROCKS! lol.

I went cube and I'm defo not going back soon! I'm debating between a Sol nano, a sol blue or an ecotech fixture depending on how far I can stretch my paycheck lol.

I'm loving them, I feed 2x a day and then 2x with pods, rots etc and my nitrates are 0 constantly despite the extra fish, I also use some zeo additives and some of the prodibio system and I dose nitrogen to keep my PO4 low (redfield ratio, I'm not crazy) and generally I'm happy with everything, I only use like 30ml of pearls

how is the MB7 and vodka dosing? have you ever tried VSV or Start2 or Start3? I also discovered Pohls Coral snow and Zeozym which is essentially a sediment that helps your skimmer yank loads more out of the tank, I've got a bottle coming this week that I'm excited to try

also that blue undata is the dogs! looks awesome, I might have to sort out CITIES and get a frag from you :P

now ain't this some bull####!

HEY!!! BIG D IS IN THE HOUSE!!! WOOT! What's up man? I need to PM you my new number ... iPhone FTW. LOL

Now that DHaut has posted on my thread ... guaranteed it will be locked up ... thanks man ... THANKS!!!

:lol: I try, bud. I try.

I love cubes, and your scape is awesome, as expected. You still at that same place in Queens?

Thanks man! I am still here, probably for another year, then we'll see what happens! ;)

After going from the 120 4x2x2' to the 150 72x18x30" this new tank makes working in it so easy, and definitely much easier to aquascape. I think I used a total of 10 rocks.

How's everything going with you?

Very nice tank. Your stocking list is great and you have some beautiful colonies in there.

Thanks you very much SoCal. Hopefully in the near future I can find a few females for my Rhomboid, possibly get them to mate. That would be pretty sweet!

that is a very nice looking tank. I love the aquascape i am trying to go for the U shape look in my neo nano rimless tank. I too really like the LED option but i do agree i have seen crazy growth from halides and specially from T5VHO's. Also wanted to get your opinion on the vertex skimmer that you have chosen. How are you liking it? Any complaints? Keep up the great work!!

...Whaaaat?!

:lol: what up brotha?!

that is a very nice looking tank. I love the aquascape i am trying to go for the U shape look in my neo nano rimless tank. I too really like the LED option but i do agree i have seen crazy growth from halides and specially from T5VHO's. Also wanted to get your opinion on the vertex skimmer that you have chosen. How are you liking it? Any complaints? Keep up the great work!!

Thanks so much!!! I designed the tank so that you could view it from any side and still think that you are staring at what is technically the "front" panel (If that makes any sense. lol.)

Of all of the skimmers I have owned, this Vertex is by far one of the best. No problems with it, it pulls out loads of gunk ... I guess the only complaint that one could have is the pump runs slightly warmer and of course more electricity then all these new cone skimmers run off of. I may decide to give the Vertex Alpha Cone 170 or 200 a try by Christmas, but I really love the IN-180.

I really do want to give LED's another try, but with all the success I had with MH and T-5's, why change that, at least now.

Deleted User 6
Thanks man! I am still here, probably for another year, then we'll see what happens! ;)

brooklyn. move down to bay ridge area.

brooklyn. move down to bay ridge area.

Oh man, that means I have to deal with you on a regular basis?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :lol::P

Duncan Colony (started off as 11 heads, now like 30+. I got them from Manhattan Aquariums back in April or so.)

Duncans.jpg

I really need to get a top down shot of that Undata ... it's been with me for the last 2 1/2 years or so. Started out as nothing, and then all of a sudden took off and has been growing out of control since then. I have cut the thing maybe 5-6 times already.

SPS.jpg

Shot from the "front" of the tank

photo-5.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived